Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double din with slide out screen and slot DVD

Hi Everybody,

I have had a car pc in my car for a few years now and have been very happy with it.

But I wanted something a bit fancier and more sturdy than what I currently have - so I am currently working on a double din unit that will be made of plastic and some kind of metal for the casing. It will have a slide out screen with the DVD drive behind it - just like the commercial units.

I am still in the designing stage and will update this thread as I make progress.

Here is where it is currently at - I hope to get a prototype happening in the next few weeks
    Attached Files

Comment

How are you dealing with the fact that a 7" bare lcd is larger than double din standards?
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Here is an expanded view for those interested
        Attached Files

Comment

The LCD that I am using is within standards.

The ISO standard is 182mm x 106mm

The panel size is 166mm x 103mm

Nobody actually uses the ISO standard anyway - and quite alot of head units are higher than the 106mm - but I plan to make mine fit within the 106mm for the metal frame and have the bezel stick out a bit (ISO standard says the bezel can be 120mm high)

There are a few 7" commercial units that do the same kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by deepgrey View Post
            The LCD that I am using is within standards.

The ISO standard is 182mm x 106mm

The panel size is 166mm x 103mm

Nobody actually uses the ISO standard anyway - and quite alot of head units are higher than the 106mm - but I plan to make mine fit within the 106mm for the metal frame and have the bezel stick out a bit (ISO standard says the bezel can be 120mm high)

There are a few 7" commercial units that do the same kind of thing.
            Is this the widescreen 7" like the EBY701?

Its a very tight fit, but if you can do it, good luck!
            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

It's a widescreen 7" yes - The bezel being 120mm should give me plenty of room to play with.

it can be very close to the top and leave a little bit of room at the bottom for buttons.

The image only has one button - but I plan to have a few on there - mainly just a power button - an open button and then 2 volume buttons.

Comment

I am going into the plastic tooling place in the next week or so to finalize everything and get a rapid prototype done up.
                Then I can test it out and see if everything works.
                I have plans for using a stepper motor to open and close the unit.

I might even get a few done up if anybody is interested - but obviously I will post some photos of my prototype first.

Anybody got any recommendations on the design etc?

Comment

I have added a clip on frame for it:
                  Attached Files

Comment

I like what you've got so far, keep up the good work. I'm very interested in seeing your prototype. If it works out and you feel like making some more, I may be interested in one depending on price and if my existing screen would fit in it.

Comment

If people want it - I might get the plastic tooling done and produce them.
                      I will have to wait and see if there is interest though.

I also have 7" LCDs that I can get, which fit perfectly into this unit. I will probably sell it as a bundle with the screen - the unit and the motor etc.

Basically all you would have to put in it is a main board and hard drive.

I am making it fit my wafer main board so I could probably supply that as well.

Comment

Unfortunately I wouldn't be interested then, I have a transreflective display which is a feature I can't live without.

Comment

Not saying I cant supply it without the screen - just saying if people need it I can supply it with.

Do you have a spec sheet of the measurements for the panel?

The panel I have isnt transreflective - but it is quite alot better than the lilliputs etc - its an LED based screen and looks way better and brighter than the other ones I have seen.

Comment

Sorry about jumping to conclusions on you.

It's a Lilliput 619 from the MP3 car store with these dimensions Height 4 1/8" (105mm) x Width 6 1/2" (165mm) x Depth 5/16" (9mm).

Comment

I will look into it, it isnt too much different than mine.

It depends on the measurements of the viewable area etc - as my viewable area kinda sits toward the left I think

Comment

Working...
                              X