Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

winter temperatures and PC harware - who has experience ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter temperatures and PC harware - who has experience ??

Hi - like its becoming winter here in eastern Germany - actually we have about -2 degrees Celsius(don't know how much farenheit this is ) And I'm caring about my hardware - Can I run my pc at these temp's ? what about condesation? - HDD and low temps = work or dammage ?

Will I beter take out my equippment by knowing that the temp's would be around -5 to -15 deg C here?

Many thanks for any suggestions ...

Felix
    =>> Carpc Version2 -- Epia M 10K based<<=
    ::Epia M10k,7"VGA/40GB2.5",GPS,Opus90W ::
    ::trying to build second low cost carpc::
    ::Automp3.de :: CAR= Renault Clio2 - 2 seats 1.9D

Hey Felix,

Good question, I can speak to part of this, I have had the same Maxtor 8.4 gig drive in my truck for 3 years. I live in Denver Colorado, the temp swings can be sunny and warm in the day to below freezing at night.

I have had no trouble at all. The player is a comercial unit mounted in a compartment underneath the jump seats in my toyota truck. No padding or insulation was used, infact It is not "mounted" just placed in the compartment.

Hope that helps.
    TruckinMP3
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

My setup is in a soft top wrangler, it gets damn cold until I turn the heater on. I have zero problems in the frigid sub zero state of Minnesota.

1997 Jeep Wrangler Rugged Waves

Ebay Stuff For Sale

Comment

Has anyone had problems with lcd screens in the cold?

the screen on the stock deck thats in my car right now is all messed up (it cant be read) from being frozen (i think). Ive seen the same deck in another car, and it was messed up the same way too, so its more likely a design problem with the screen though.
        Project AutoBoxen: Coming along, almost ready to hook up in the car.
        Celeron 500, 192mb ram, 8gb hdd, other stuff.
        '91 Mazda 626: Its free, so ill use it.

Comment

my serial 16x2 has that prob, once it gets warm it's all good

1997 Jeep Wrangler Rugged Waves

Ebay Stuff For Sale

Comment

Re: winter temperatures and PC harware - who has experience ??

Originally posted by felix99
            Hi - like its becoming winter here in eastern Germany - actually we have about -2 degrees Celsius(don't know how much farenheit this is ) ...

Felix
            28.4F. In case you want to know...

Comment

hmm i stuck my creative credit card remote in dry ice at work wich is -109 hehe and it still works
              WINNER!!!!
              run-on sentance comp 2002!!
              :)

Comment

for future reference:

C = 5(F-32)/9
                F = 9C/5 + 32

32F = 0C = freezing
                212F = 100C = boiling

68F = 20C = room temperature
                98.6F = 37C = normal body temperature
                aka Kumaneko
                "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
                Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
                mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
                Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

No problem here in Minnesota - 4 years running! (Same area as Freestyler)
                  My 40x4 LCD doesn't work too well until it gets warm, but that's why I installed it in an A/C vent!
                  Oh yea - don't have to worry about overheating!
                  http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                  CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                  Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Well I've known serious overclockers who run their computers at -20 Celcius permanently!

but not the screen so maybe it effects screens im not sure....

Comment

as the man above will know being another local ( ) we on the other side of the world are facing one VERY hot summer..

driving home from work today - took about 1 hour... got 2 mins from my girlfriends and my system died..... poped the boot at my G/F's to find the 20A glass fuse on my mp3box had melted at one of the soldered ends!!! and my AMP was DAMMMMMMM hot... so im gonna havta take it a bit easier now on those hotter days things go so hot that my hard disc was damm hard to remove from its bay due to the expansion of the plastic!!!!!! replaced the fuse later tonite and all is fine - phew!!! these humid summer days dont make life easy on mp3car systems!

so looks like a new removable drive bay and a check over of all the components/fans this weekend when I install my SB Audigy will be in order
                      Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

on summer I didn't had any problems 30C outside and ~50 inside the car some times - no problem - on the way home from France I even forgot to turn on the system fan - stupid me - I noticed it after ~600 km when I was taken in a traffic jam in Paris - and like my car has only 2 seats i could easyly turn it on - So system had about 60 deg or more and cpu ? don't know but i think verry hotttt . But nothing died ( good old socket 7 cpu's )

But at winter i still really care with humidity and could switching from cold to warm cause humidity in the hdd ? in a vacuum ?

felix
                        =>> Carpc Version2 -- Epia M 10K based<<=
                        ::Epia M10k,7"VGA/40GB2.5",GPS,Opus90W ::
                        ::trying to build second low cost carpc::
                        ::Automp3.de :: CAR= Renault Clio2 - 2 seats 1.9D

Comment

Felix,

If the HD is still factory sealed you do not need to worry about humitity. If condensation is the worry take a look at overclockers.com they have notes on preventing condensation on CPUs that are supercooled and more prone to collect moisture.

I really think it will not be an issue, if you want to play it safe take a look.

TruckinMP3
                          TruckinMP3
                          D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I've had issues already where my PC kept rebooting when trying to boot into Windows when it was freezing cold out. Only after I let the car warm up for a few minutes did it stop happening. It only ever happened about 3 times, all of the times took place in the middle of winter around 3 or 4 AM.

Comment

I've had problems in the winter with my system refusing to boot until it got above freezing in the car (this being in chicago, in a car that gets parked on the street). I was blaming it on the crappy motherboard that I had previously, but I've had two hicups so far this winter, and it hasn't be that cold yet (i replaced the psu and put the hd in a mobile rack last winter, thinking they were the culprits).
                              -Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X