Boot up time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot up time

I've been reading the posts in this forum and it appears that many of you actually build your own systems. I'm interested in possibly doing this but would like to know how long (on average) does it take your carputers to boot up before playing an MP3 is possible.

I make a lot of small journeys so if the computer took 2 mins to boot it'd not really be worth it. Can anyone let me have even just an idea?

Mark
    Mark

We've got some people claiming less than 10 seconds from power on to booted, but I would have to see that to believe it.

My POST takes about 10 seconds, after that it's about 30 seconds for a full boot of windows XP. If you have a DC-DC power supply you can run your computer in standby mode and then it's literally about 2-3 seconds from power-on to being able to use it.

you can easily boot a system fresh in under a minute, it really depends what setup you have and what OS you want to use.

I would really recommend setting up a system however, you'll love it!
    IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

Boot up time

The problem (if it is one) is that I will only use it for MP3s (hence the question about Neo vs mSation) below. I have a Mazda MX5 (Miata in the US) which is obviously very small and therefore space is limited. I'm not sure if building my own would be the best, bearing in mind I can get an mStation 2 (with both a pc and hi-fi docking station) for 300.00.

What sort of money am I looking at for a good set up if I built my own. Apologises for the vague questions, it's just I know sod all about this
      Mark

Comment

If you only care about MP3s then I'd suggest to go for a compact specialty system. you can get them VERY small (like a deck of cards small) that can play music off of a compactflash card or laptop hard drive something like that for actually very cheap.

Check out here or here, or see my FAQ for some more info.
        IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

I've got a fairly trimmed down system running DOS that just does MP3s.

It's about 20 seconds for motherboard POST, and less than 5 seconds to load DOS, my player and the playlist (including all id3 info).

So within 25 seconds it can be playing music.

Rob
          Old Systems retired due to new car
          New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

I am running xp pro, 40 gig hard drive, 384mg Ram, 1.3 celeron
            gps, dvd....and I'm and running in 30 sec...!!!!!

Rock out with your [email protected] out!
            BossTone74

Comment

My setup: 166mmx, 32 megs ram, two 4-gig hds, boot to DOS 7 (from Win98) , Mpxplay 1.47

Originally boot time was about 20 seconds, which wasn't bad. Later, I stumbled upon a setting in the bios called "Quick Boot". I turned that on now instead of counting the ram, it just posts the total ram, auto detects drives and loads dos. Currently, from cold start to being ready to play mp3s is around 9 to 11 seconds.

Comment

Transmetta Crusou TM5400 @ 500Mhz booting Linux from a 6x Compact Flash card. Splash screen in 18 seconds; playing music 12 seconds after that for a total of 30. Still trying to optimize the BIOS and hardware init sequence to shave off some more time.
                ----------------------------
                Save virtual trees....

Comment

eeguru

eeguru, what're you using exactly to be booting off of compactflash. Some custom board? Also I see you're a EE from Atlanta, any chance you go to Tech? I'm a CS grad of '00 Anyway, thanks

Comment

I'm using an embedded PC, however the Compact Flash standard has a provision for connecting directly to an IDE bus. A web search will turn up a lot of really cheap adapters; someone on this board was asking about them a short time ago as well. Nope, didn't goto Tech.
                    ----------------------------
                    Save virtual trees....

Comment

Compactflash is actually electrically identical to the PCMCIA standard (*not cardbus, 16-bit PCMCIA) and also actually has an embedded IDE controller in it. If you pop any CF card into win98 it will detect a "standard EIDE controller". This is also why you can have wireless CF adapters, for example. I much prefer CF over something like "smartmedia" (which is really dumbmedia because it has no controller, just memory chips) because the CF is much more versatile. The "adapters" that are used to plug CF into a PCMCIA slot are just like a gender changer, it just changes the socket to a PCMCIA, there's no onboard controller, which is why they are so cheap. CF is also really easy to program for because it is IDE, whereas smartmedia is not.

Sorry for the OT, just spilling my $0.02

Comment

Celeron 333, 128 MB RAM, 1.2 gig for OS, 5 gig for music

My post takes 20 seconds, and I can boot to music in winME lite in another 40 for a total of about a minute. I can probably shave some off by setting winamp as the shell.
                        Silver 1999 Nissan Pathfinder!
                        Completion: [*********-] 90%
                        Everything working! Mobile MP3s ROCK!
                        LEFT TO DO: Improve power on circuit, fix slow boot time

- 550mhz PIII on Abit BH6
                        - 128MB RAM
                        - 40x4 Backlit Character LCD
                        - 17 key numeric keypad - Repainted buttons
                        - 2.1GB laptop drive for OS
                        - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/bombboyer/ Redesigned, new pics!

Comment

post 10 sec, linux is loaded after 15 sec so it's about 25 seconds from the start to the moment i hear music.
                          ---

Status: I still need to get some money to buy the inverter.

Comment

Does anyone have any tips on speeding up my post? I have the latest BIOS with quick boot on, and it still takes 20 seconds. Would setting "plug and play OS" to yes make a difference? What other options affect post time?
                            Silver 1999 Nissan Pathfinder!
                            Completion: [*********-] 90%
                            Everything working! Mobile MP3s ROCK!
                            LEFT TO DO: Improve power on circuit, fix slow boot time

- 550mhz PIII on Abit BH6
                            - 128MB RAM
                            - 40x4 Backlit Character LCD
                            - 17 key numeric keypad - Repainted buttons
                            - 2.1GB laptop drive for OS
                            - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/bombboyer/ Redesigned, new pics!

Comment

you can usually turn off memory testing. set all your ide channels that are not being used to none and not auto. You can usually also enable an option like "quick boot"
                              90% Done
                              60W DC-DC & shutdown controller
                              Via C3 800, 512mb Ram, HDD 75GB IBM Deskstar, 5.6" In dash Dcustoms LCD w/ 3m USB Touch setup
                              Rockfors 400s 400W amp,2x 10" Rockford Subs, Sony CDX M730 Head unit
                              All in a shiny White 2000 V6 Mustang
                              Click here to visit my NEW PhotoAlbum

Comment

Working...
                              X