12v Fans directly to battery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v Fans directly to battery?

I have two case fans that I believe are wired directly to the battery (I did not install these myself).

Just wanted to check to make sure that this was fine, before they end up melting one day down the road.

I think they should be fine.
    When the car is running, the fans would spin faster, as they would be receiving ~14v (depending on your alternator output) which might decrease the life of the fans somewhat. I don't think it would be a big deal, though.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

As always, thanks Darque, appreciate the confirmation/opinion.

Comment

Typical fans would not be sensitive to the surges and dips in voltage in a car's electrical system. As DP said, the fan speed would tend to vary somewhat but it wouldn't hurt the fan. An observer would probably not even be able to see the difference. Basically motors, relays, solenoids, lamps, and heating elements are usually tolerant of unregulated supply voltage. PC's on the other hand need regulated voltages.
        ~Jimmy

Comment

So are they on all the time?

Comment

Nope - Guessing they are switched with ignition start (ACC line?) They are also in the same box as the amp/carpc, which also has the distributer block, so maybe something off that as well. But not on all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
              I think they should be fine.
              When the car is running, the fans would spin faster, as they would be receiving ~14v (depending on your alternator output) which might decrease the life of the fans somewhat. I don't think it would be a big deal, though.

Agreed. I would not hesitate to set up like this for case fans.
              TruckinMP3
              D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Nice - Appreciate the confirmations, I feel better about them now.

Once I get my car back, I'll do a full write up of the work that was done, and will see what gets knocked on.

Comment

Glad you posted this question, I have 4 big center console fans, and did not want to power them on the PSU, so I connected them to my switched 12v line.....
                  Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                  1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
                  X