802.11b Question about distance and going through walls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 802.11b Question about distance and going through walls

I want to put an 802.11b USB adapter on my carputer. In order for the wireless router to transmit a signal to the adapter, it would have to go about 30 ft. and through 2 walls. Would the signal still be strong enough to use? About how fast would my network access be?

Depends on the quality of the AP and cards. I have seen some cheap ones that couldn't get a signal a couple rooms over and nicer ones that go a lot longer. I have a low end Cisco at home and can go through two walls across my back yard over the fence and through the field as far as I cared to carry my laptop and still had a signal.

Comment

Do you think that the Netgear stuff would work? I was thinking of buying the MR314 Router and MA101 USB Adapter.

Comment

Netgear and linksys are the low end stuff that have less power output and more problems going through walls. I'm not saying it won't work, wireless is too unpredictable, just buy from a place with a good return policy.

Comment

eugenen, what model AP and cards do you have? Also, what do you think the range of D-link AirPlus equipment would be (the kind that works at 22mbps)?
          Silver 1999 Nissan Pathfinder!
          Completion: [*********-] 90%
          Everything working! Mobile MP3s ROCK!
          LEFT TO DO: Improve power on circuit, fix slow boot time

- 550mhz PIII on Abit BH6
          - 128MB RAM
          - 40x4 Backlit Character LCD
          - 17 key numeric keypad - Repainted buttons
          - 2.1GB laptop drive for OS
          - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/bombboyer/ Redesigned, new pics!

Comment

Mine is the older Aronet 340. It has been replaced by the 350 which has a higher output. What you want to look for is the mW output of AP's. The higher the output the farthur it should go.

Comment

if you wanna go used pick up a linksys wap11 v2.0 or less, you can get a snmp util that allows you to hack the total mW

i've done that, mmm....very nice signal through a few concrete walls to my avaya gold card.

1997 Jeep Wrangler Rugged Waves

Ebay Stuff For Sale

Comment

I purchased two linksys USB transceivers (no basestation) a while back and have had mixed results. At my 3-level townhome (garage on 1st floor, computers on 3rd floor, computer in car...) the system worked quite well. At my new place, the distance is about the same, but everything is single level and the garage is detached - the system doesn't work at all.

I'd recomment the linksys system only for room-to-room situations. Of course, a basestation could help that, I'm only running in ad-hoc mode...

I might have to try that util - thanks for the tip freestyler!
                http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

those usb things suck major butt, i have one, works like crap.

i'm happy with my linksys access point, but not any of the client products (pcmcia and usb failed for me big time in range)

Ebay Stuff For Sale

Comment

People need to stop assuming that a product sucks just because they have had a problem with it. Linksys and Netgear makes good stuff, a lot better than they used to be. In fact, our shop uses Netgear and 3Com hubs with regularity. We use Linksys access points and cards for all our residential installs, and have NEVER had a problem. Getting great range as well.

Really, for what you are trying to do (2 rooms, 30 feet) anything will work. As long as those walls aren't solid steel, you'll be fine.
                    Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                    Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                    "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

I can agree that linksys products are good, I am using a WAP11 v2.2 and it works great. The benefit of this is that you can also get external antennas to extend your range QUITE a lot.

However I have tried to use d-link USB adapters, and I find them to be really crappy. I had 4 adapters, and they couldn't even talk to each other across an open room (about 30 ft) without going down in signal strength quite a bit, and as soon as I went around a corner the signal dropped completely. I tried this will all 4 adapters, and even had 2 of them replaced because the XP driver support is horrible, still to no avail. Interoperability with a Cisco 340 card that I have also was crappy, while a Cisco and 3Com card talked fine over quite a distance.

My Cisco340 and Linksys WAP11 can communicate a good hundred or so feet down my street, so use in the driveway is actually quite good. The d-link card seems to work decently in infrastructure mode as well (it was in adhoc that was really crappy performance). Although I can agree with Aaron, I have not had any luck with the dlink usb adapters and cannot recommend them.

Does anyone know if there is a hack for the v2.2 version of the WAP11 to increase the power?
                      IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

The reason the v2.2 isn't working is because they removed the snmp management utility, it's now that lovely linksys web front end. I haven't seen anything about it, I for one would not own that model anyways as it has too many security risks involved with it. I know there is a way to download the entire config, ssid, wep keys, mac addresses etc just by passing it a get or something on one port, gotta check my black book for that one, but i know it can be done.

Ebay Stuff For Sale

Comment

I don't necessarily think that the linksys etc suck, its just that I am used to the Cisco, Enterasys, etc, the higher end corpatare so I'm used to good stuff. I have been very disapointed in the range and security for the cheaper ones. That doesn't mean don't use them, I'm just saying they might not get the range you wanted.

Comment

well the very nature of WEP is insecure, it takes no time at all on a modern computer with a sniffer to break it, so I don't care about the security of my APs. I just use VPN on top of it and don't care
                            IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

SNMP is a lot more insecure than the web interface, which is why Linksys probably removed it. The new version (2.2) allows you to download and upload the config, just like SNMP did. As well, if you look in the advanced section, it allows you to enable SNMP for certain things.
                              Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                              Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                              "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Working...
                              X