Samsung Hybrid Readydrive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung Hybrid Readydrive

Has anyone here used one of these drives? It seems too perfect of a carputer solution not to have been used already, but I can't find any hits with hybrid ready drive.

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...ybrid_HDD.html

Thinking about trying it out.
    My opinion is my own.

Hybrid drives have been around for a while now, only just coming down in price enough. Still expensive and the flash part is usually very small. Also nothing but Vista and some unix systems can take advantage of the flash part. And I am not even sure Vista does it natively.

It cannot psychicly predict what to store in flash. The OS needs to tell it, put file A there, file B there and so on.

And samsung does not have the monopoly on these either btw.

And something more annoying that the ad was the "2Gbits" of flash. That ad is obviously going for the non-tech people. So when you say "2Gbits" the average idiot thinks "2 gigabytes" which are completely different. Same deal with mac, cant stand dishonest ads.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
      Hybrid drives have been around for a while now, only just coming down in price enough. Still expensive and the flash part is usually very small. Also nothing but Vista and some unix systems can take advantage of the flash part. And I am not even sure Vista does it natively.

It cannot psychicly predict what to store in flash. The OS needs to tell it, put file A there, file B there and so on.

And samsung does not have the monopoly on these either btw.

And something more annoying that the ad was the "2Gbits" of flash. That ad is obviously going for the non-tech people. So when you say "2Gbits" the average idiot thinks "2 gigabytes" which are completely different. Same deal with mac, cant stand dishonest ads.

Yeah, but check this out for coming down in price.....

http://www.cmsproducts.com/detail.aspx?ID=1012

Worth getting it just to play around with. Definitely on the dishonest ad stuff. Not sure what the definition is.....but it says it works with XP.
      My opinion is my own.

Comment

From the Samsung White paper...

"Unlike the hard disk drive, which requires a certain rotational speed (5400 RPM) in order to boot, Hybrid HDD stores the boot-related data in a built-in flash cache memory. This enables an ultra fast boot time of less than five seconds: a remarkable achievement compared to the current standard of between 20 and 30 seconds. Additionally, battery life is expected to increase by approximately 20-50 minutes. "

This post WILL be editted.

Logic says you are correct on the OS requirement, but I can't find anything that says it requires Vista to use the flash part.

Just bought one. If it doesn't work.....well......you can never have too many 160gb sata drives lying around.
        My opinion is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by danielkh View Post
          From the Samsung White paper...

"Unlike the hard disk drive, which requires a certain rotational speed (5400 RPM) in order to boot, Hybrid HDD stores the boot-related data in a built-in flash cache memory. This enables an ultra fast boot time of less than five seconds: a remarkable achievement compared to the current standard of between 20 and 30 seconds. Additionally, battery life is expected to increase by approximately 20-50 minutes. "

This post WILL be editted.

Logic says you are correct on the OS requirement, but I can't find anything that says it requires Vista to use the flash part.

Just bought one. If it doesn't work.....well......you can never have too many 160gb sata drives lying around.
          Yeah but it is 1 physical drive, doesnt show up as partitions. So how does the OS know to install it in the flash area, or the only other way would be how does the harddrive know you are installing an OS and not just moving a picture of your grandma, they are both read/write cycles to the drive.

So the OS has to tell it specifically. Vista was touted with the "ViiV" chips on intel basically, and that I think also has options for the flash area. You have to tell it this when you install, it wont do it automatically either. XP was developed before hybrid drives were even public, and I know SP2 can't do it, so unless something in SP3 happened, I doubt XP will do it.
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
            Yeah but it is 1 physical drive, doesnt show up as partitions. So how does the OS know to install it in the flash area, or the only other way would be how does the harddrive know you are installing an OS and not just moving a picture of your grandma, they are both read/write cycles to the drive.

So the OS has to tell it specifically. Vista was touted with the "ViiV" chips on intel basically, and that I think also has options for the flash area. You have to tell it this when you install, it wont do it automatically either. XP was developed before hybrid drives were even public, and I know SP2 can't do it, so unless something in SP3 happened, I doubt XP will do it.
            You already had my vote. lol

Let's just get one and see what it does. Interesting technology at an affordable price. And the new computer comes with Vista, so might be able to try it out with that. But the promise of a 5 second cold boot time directly into your application is too much of a claim not to check out. And if Azenteck is using this drive to give their systems more of an OEM startup feel, it must be working right for them (Vista 64 bit).
            My opinion is my own.

Comment

Working...
            X