Power on by Windows Media Remote?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power on by Windows Media Remote?

Has anybody tried using a Windows Media Center remote to power on a laptop? I think this might be a very easy solution to the power on/power off problem, to mount my laptop under the seat, and run the IR reciever under the dash. Then, I think I might be able to power it up by pressing the power button on the remote. Has anybody tried this?

Nothing to say you cant as long as it supports wake from usb. And it would be power on, it would only work from S3.

Also it wouldnt be as automatic and oem as a true SDC (shut down controller).
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Yeah, but I don't know jack about soldering and electrical stuff, other wise i'd go that route. Is there any kind of SDC that doesn't involve wiring?

Comment

You have to get to the power jack somehow. There is always a time to start learning.

You could also do a WOL, but that involves even more soldering, just it is off-board.
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Yeah, somethin I've been meaning to get into. Just don't have the time right now.

Comment

Turning on a PC (or bringing it out of standby) with a remote is not as easy as it sounds. There is a lot of good information at thegreenbutton.com about MCE and remotes.

Your laptop may have a feature in the BIOS to turn on when power is applied. If it does, then you only need something to put it in standby. There are applications using the serial port for this.

Kirk

Comment

Working...
            X