Will this cut it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this cut it?

Got my hands on an old Dell Optiplex GX240 (small form factor) and figured it'll be a start for my first carputer especially because of it's small size.

It has 2.6 GHz 400 MHz FSB 512K cache Pentium 4 processor, 1 GB PC133 memory, 320 GB hard drive, CD drive, 16 MB video card and USB 1.1 (I know eventually I should upgrade the video card and add a DVD drive and a USB 2.0 card).

Will this setup cut it as a carputer? (I have Centrafuse or the equivalent in mind as the front end) If not, is there something I need to add to make it more suitable?

Looks fine to me......... only thing I think you should do is go ahead and upgrade to USB 2.0. Most things like HDD and any mass storage device require it, unless you like a slow read and write speed..... Everything else looks ok.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

wow, i can really pull off a carputer with these crappy specs?!?!

outstanding!

Comment

Originally posted by DiGiTY View Post
        wow, i can really pull off a carputer with these crappy specs?!?!

outstanding!
        Remember in a CarPC setup your not doing super 3D graphics..... your simply playing Mp3s, using NAV and simple little stuff..... Even if you run most of it at the same time it wont really use to much of the system.
        Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1X 7 inch motorized Screen
        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

that's true.

so i'm good with a 16 MB video card for DVD playback and H.264 video playback?

Comment

that's true.

so i'm good with a 16 MB video card for DVD playback and H.264 video playback?
            why would you ever play h.264 in the car... It is a 7" maybe 8" screen. There native resolution is 800x480. You are just wasting CPU cycles and harddrive space so that your monitor will throw out the extra info. Really pointless.

And I would actually say that computer is too much. That pentium 4 is a beast power wise. What will you be powering it by? You cant with an M2 or an Opus 150 safely.
            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

on both stacks, i was looking at one of these small dells aswell and well, you jsut dont need the power of that cpu, nor can you really support it, maybe with two small psus i do have a small 200watt that may wrk well, what size psu is in that slim box digity?
              MY build...a walk thru, finally getting to it

Comment

it's a 160 watt PSU in this box. M2-ATX is also 160 watt... doesn't it make it just right?

i would play H.264 podcasts and tv shows, music videos and movies that I've got from iTunes.

Comment

it's a 160 watt PSU in this box. M2-ATX is also 160 watt... doesn't it make it just right?

i would play H.264 podcasts and tv shows, music videos and movies that I've got from iTunes.
                  160W PSU #1 does not equal 160W PSU #2. You need to compare rails. And that P4 will be pushing that 160W but it doesnt surprise me, it is a dell afterall and they are known for the cheap half-*** products.

And unless your stuff is DRM free, anything you have is pretty much junk when trying to play it through other media players that a real frontend uses. Noone uses itunes because it is bloated and buggy. You said you wanted to go with CF, I dont think they do DRM music. SD doesnt do DRMs. and RoadRunner uses Winamp which doesnt do DRMs.
                  Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                  1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                  30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                  15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                  Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

so I'll scrap iTunes media

frack! it sounds like I need to scrap this box altogether or at least downgrade the CPU back to the 1.8 GHz P4 i pulled.

what do i need to do to make this a stable carputer? if that's not possible or takes too much work and add-ons, what specs do I need when building my own carputer?

Comment

Working...
                    X