2 AWG wire Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 AWG wire Question

For me setup, I know I need to run a 2 awg wire from the alternator to the battery (it's going in the trunk for a lot of reasons, don't worry about that). From there I will power all the different parts of my system.

The question is about cable quality and sources. Car audio shops only usually carry 4 gauge and 0/1, and it's damn expensive.

Battery relocation kits come with some 2 wire, but I have no idea the quality.

Then there is marine battery cable, which I'm seeing a lot of in my searches. I just don't really know jack about marine cables, so I don't know what is done different from say car audio cables.
    Computer is in the car, but in a very "raw" install right now.

Worklog - here

Originally posted by FockMasterDan View Post
    For me setup, I know I need to run a 2 awg wire from the alternator to the battery (it's going in the trunk for a lot of reasons, don't worry about that). From there I will power all the different parts of my system.

The question is about cable quality and sources. Car audio shops only usually carry 4 gauge and 0/1, and it's damn expensive.

Battery relocation kits come with some 2 wire, but I have no idea the quality.

Then there is marine battery cable, which I'm seeing a lot of in my searches. I just don't really know jack about marine cables, so I don't know what is done different from say car audio cables.
    Why do you need to run 2 batterys in your car for a computer...are you going to run some high quality amps. I have one battery for my hold system. I use 0g wire cause I have little over a2000w system. Anyways...if you need wire, go here (http://www.darvex.com/miva/merchant....egory_Code=PW0) and if you going with the 2 battery you will need a isolator.

Comment

Originally posted by soloxp View Post
      Why do you need to run 2 batterys in your car for a computer...are you going to run some high quality amps. I have one battery for my hold system. I use 0g wire cause I have little over a2000w system. Anyways...if you need wire, go here (http://www.darvex.com/miva/merchant....egory_Code=PW0) and if you going with the 2 battery you will need a isolator.
      I'm actually relocating my battery, not adding another one. This is for non car computer reasons that aren't really relevant. My audio system is pretty nice, but I'm not big on massive subs, just some good SQ.

The reason I need 2 awg wire is because the car will be starting through that wire, and that is what all the battery relocate kits are.

Worklog - here

Comment

I looked at the marine wire on eBay from a company called KnuKonceptz. They basically just overpack their cables, so 2gauge is actually 1gauge, etc. The cable itself seems just like the kind of car power cable you would expect anyway so I don't think there's really a difference. Maybe the insulation is more waterproof? That's the only benefit I could see.

I HIGHLY recommend the cable off eBay, it's just fantastic.
        2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
        Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
        Blog

Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
        The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

Comment

All my cables that I currently have were directly from Knukonceptz, and they are top quality. The only thing is they don't carry 2, only 0/1. I'm pretty sure that marine cable will work great for me, and I'm not even going to be running amps off of that cable, since those will be able to come straight from a battery terminal.

I may just have to say screw it and pick up the massively overkill 0/1, but I have time before I need to give up and just order something.

Worklog - here

Comment

If you really want quality 2 gauge - look for a place supplying welding wire/cables. online I've dealth with www.weldingsupply.com they were pretty good.

Comment

Thanks, I'm not stuck on using 2, but if I can find it I see no reason to jump up to 0/1 for my setup.

Worklog - here

Comment

Originally posted by FockMasterDan View Post
                I'm not even going to be running amps off of that cable, since those will be able to come straight from a battery terminal.
                the "relocation kit cable" will be connected to that same battery terminal. so yes, you WILL be powering your amps off that cable...

F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
                Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Originally posted by FusionFanatic View Post
                  the "relocation kit cable" will be connected to that same battery terminal. so yes, you WILL be powering your amps off that cable...

Yeah Yeah mr technical there. I know it's all connected.

Busting my balls, but hey that's what I get for posting when I should be sleeping a lot of the time (that post was right on waking up).

Worklog - here

Comment

Working...
                  X