Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KNOB WAR : Owners/Users of 3DConnexion vs. Griffin Powermate

hi,

it seems to me that the 3Dconnexion knob for a reduced price is beating Powermate from Griffin in the aspect of controlibility. I am not sure about the look.

Let's discuss it guys.

Which one have you ever had in your car and if you like it or not, why?
    Samantec

at aim dot kom
    Pajero/Montero 3500

I have used both and I only use a touchpad and remote now.

The 3dconnexion was just to touchy. Good for volume and that's about all IMO.

The griffin is good for volume but it didn't do enough.

Using a remote is just better for me. It's what I use all the time in my house and it's what I'm used to so it feels best to me.
    My 2007 Yukon XL setup. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...64-5000-a.html

Comment

right now here's my input devices:

touchscreen
      touchpad
      wireless keyboard

i've looked into those knobs and if i ever decide i need one, it'll definately be the spacenavigator (3Dconnexion). it has many more control features. i'll do a quick overview to show you why.

Spacenavigator
      Slide Left, Right, Up Down
      Push Down, Pull up
      Turn right, Turn left

Powermate
      Push Down
      Turn right, Turn left

The spacenavigator has the extra axis where you can push it left, right, up or down as well as pull it up. This allows you to add many more features.
      2003 Nissan Xterra Worklog

Total amount spent so far: $1196.64

You will probably spend AT LEAST 2x what you initially budget for your CarPC Project!

2003 Nissan Xterra - Modifications

Comment

Originally posted by tigergibb View Post

i've looked into those knobs and if i ever decide i need one, it'll definately be the spacenavigator (3Dconnexion). it has many more control features. i'll do a quick overview to show you why.

Spacenavigator
        Slide Left, Right, Up Down
        Push Down, Pull up
        Turn right, Turn left

The spacenavigator has the extra axis where you can push it left, right, up or down as well as pull it up. This allows you to add many more features.
        Unfortunately it is better on paper than in real life.

Even after a lot of calibration it doesn't work good. It's as if the different axises are to close. Sometimes when pushing left/right you accidentally turn it to much or push it down a little activating those commands.

It becomes a nuisance REAL quickly.
        My 2007 Yukon XL setup. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...64-5000-a.html

Comment

I've got both and right now the Powermate works best. The 3dConnexion is too mushy. Like it is suspended on rubber bands.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

before i upgraded my system to touchscreen, i tried several input devices:

first i tried an MS wireless keyboard + mouse set. that was horrible, the cold always killed their batteries, and the reception was weak. then i bought a cheap silicone keyboard, but i realized very fast that its unusable - roll up, roll down. then i found the best: a ps/2 based laptop keyboard-sized one only for $12

from the other side, after the MS set i found an wired mini optical mouse - but it needs space. than i tried touchpad - unusable while driving. a gamepad - good for multimedia remote, but unusable too as mouse. then i found a very good trackball in a broken HP 1U keyboard. it has optical reception, so its very accurate and not dust-sensitive. i think this is the best while driving! then i bought a touch kit for my LCD, but i will keep the trackball for regular use (for example right click tasks are easier with it)

then i started a project to use my cars built-in steering wheel remote buttons with the carpc...
            "case": Skoda Superb Elegance 1.8T
            Asrock G41MH-GE, E2180 2GHz dualcore, 1024MB DDR2/800, Samsung F1 750GB/7200RPM/32MB, M4-ATX, Lilliput FA1011 HDMI touchscreen, ASUS Xonar DG PCI, homemade Quectel L10 USB GPS

Comment

I'm using a cut down Logitech Nulooq Navigator. I took the the lower dial off for a flush mount. I have it set to control volume, FF, RW & Play/Pause. One nice thing is the ability to set up different commands for different programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinehead View Post
                I'm using a cut down Logitech Nulooq Navigator. I took the the lower dial off for a flush mount. I have it set to control volume, FF, RW & Play/Pause. One nice thing is the ability to set up different commands for different programs.
                Isn't that working like an ipod click wheel? how much is it?

When it comes to look, I guess 3Dconnexion products are good looking and Griffin Powermate is also gorgeous. lets not forget it's not all about functionality.
                Samantec

at aim dot kom
                Pajero/Montero 3500

Comment

i LOVE my spacenavigator. I dont get why people say its too sensitive using the driver on this board makes it so you can control its sensitivity. All programs i use on the carputer have functionality with the spacenavigator.. that was 26 bucks well spent.
                  mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                  Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                  Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

that is an excellent price you paid for that. real bargain.
                    actually it's a gorgeous piece of gadget. but i am told that there is no mac osx driver.

how does it work in iTunes when you change the view from list to album arts. can you dial through the albums.?
                    Samantec

at aim dot kom
                    Pajero/Montero 3500

Comment

Originally posted by samantech View Post
                      Isn't that working like an ipod click wheel? how much is it?
                      Here's a pic:

They're going for $60 right now.

Comment

Thanks. I checked that on google images. I was wondering how the top works. it looks to me like a click wheel.

Has anyone btw hooked up a 3Dconnexion with mac mini? is it working? any drivers? and how bad sensitive is it to finger movements.
                        Samantec

at aim dot kom
                        Pajero/Montero 3500

Comment

I use the Powermate. It is awesome as a master volume control. I use the touch screen for everything else and I will break out the Madcatz if I need to type something.
                          ~Jimmy

Comment

Have used the powermate for several years, solid device never gives me a problem. Dont forget with girder you can also "double click", Push Down for x amount of time and push down and hold, push down and rotate left and right etc.

Push down and hold shuts down the computer either in Windows or RoadRunner no clicking or looking at the screen needed

Rotate, goes though lists - song lists again, no need to look at screen.

Push down once, starts RoadRunner no need to look at screen.

etc... etc...

Very happy with it, only thing is its kinda big and the learning curve is steep as far as Girder is concerned. Once you got things set up its great, use it every day.

Out of all the devices, I would say my Powermate is first then touchpad. Dont really use the touch screen anymore.
                            2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
                            2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
                            Sound Stage
                            Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

Originally posted by samantech View Post
                              Thanks. I checked that on google images. I was wondering how the top works. it looks to me like a click wheel.
                              It's a lot like an ipod click wheel.

Comment

Working...
                              X