Adding a video card?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a video card?

If I were to add a video card to a MB with onboard video, could I use both video outputs at once to run dual video or do I need a video card with dual monitor support due to some affect of the added card possibly disabling the onboard one?
    03 Accord Sedan CarPC

It depends on the motherboard.

Way back in the day it was usually an "either/or" proposition, but most of the newer boards (last 6 years or so) I have seen worked fine using integrated and an expansion video card.
    A couple of exceptions, but not sure exactly which or what they were...

If you have- or can find online- the manual for the MB you have, you may be able to verify before spending money.

One pointer- in BIOS you should find a few settings regarding video- one for the size of memory for the onboard video (shared mem or video mem, usually) and one for which video device to use as primary: onboard or PCI.
    If you have the second setting, you should be fine to use both.

Comment

Thanks, I'll look into that.
      03 Accord Sedan CarPC

Comment

I was debating about adding a video card to my setup as well. I recently added a video card (GeForce FX5500) to my MII 10000 but the onboard drivers and this card conflicts due to their both using nvidia drivers. I tried using the original drivers for the onboard video but it still conflicts so now I'm just using the external card. The error states something like the driver is from a previous version of windows and to contact the manfacturer for a new driver.
        Gee

Comment

As it turns out, dual output video cards are pretty cheap. I thought they would be costly. If I do decide to add a video card, it'll have dual output.
          03 Accord Sedan CarPC

Comment

Working...
          X