Solid State Drives and Heat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid State Drives and Heat

I have a newer carputer that I built a couple months ago with a supertalent solid state drive.

I've noticed that lately my it will not boot after sitting in the sun all day - in the morning everything boots up fine, but after sitting in the parking lot all day it just hangs on the windows boot screen. This has to be related to the heat.

Anyone else have this problem? Solution?

I just put one in, and the temperatures ranges on these things are pretty extreme. They will take more abuse than a regular HDD. Sounds like you have a defective product.

Comment

I'm wondering if it's the CPU or RAM then - It never actually freezes, it just continues to sit at the windows screen.

Comment

Mine did that at first, but I bought a MyDigitalSSD MLC drive and formatted it to NTFS, something which you supposedly aren't supposed to do, but I had no instructions, and there was no warning. I formatted it again to Fat32, and its much faster, but still not as fast as it should be. I'm sending it back for a refund and getting an 8gb SLC drive with much higher random write speeds.

Did you do any formatting of the drive?

Comment

At one point my PC was really hot, but still working.
          My car is in the sun all day, no problem when I go home.
          I resantly drove 350km in one stretch and no problem.
          I have no fan in my VoomPC.
          I have a Samsung SSD.

I have not read the temp spec but I agree that you should expect more from your SSD, Tavenger 5.
          My car installation mp3car thread "showing off project"

Comment

Originally posted by phuz View Post
            Did you do any formatting of the drive?
            I'm pretty sure I formatted everything correctly - the only time it doesn't boot properly is when it's hot - as soon as it cools down it boots fully in < 25 seconds

Originally posted by bes51659 View Post
            At one point my PC was really hot, but still working.
            My car is in the sun all day, no problem when I go home.
            I resantly drove 350km in one stretch and no problem.
            I have no fan in my VoomPC.
            I have a Samsung SSD.

I have not read the temp spec but I agree that you should expect more from your SSD, Tavenger 5.
            Yeh, I have the voompc case as well - what are you running for mb, cpu, ram?

Comment

You need to find the manufacturer's temperature range. It should be in the full manual for the thing.
              2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR In-Dash PC Project - WIP

Planning:
              [----------] 100%
              Purchasing:
              [----------] 90%
              Installation/Fab/Assembly (Revised v2):
              [----------] 90%

Comment

it looks like it's 185 degrees F (85C) - I don't think it's getting that hot in the trunk.

Comment

Something is wrong if it's getting that hot. Dayyyyum!

Comment

no - that's the threshold of operating temp on the spec at supertalent.com

Comment

I'm def starting to think it's the RAM or CPU - the CPU is made for a laptop though (AMD turion dual core) - Maybe I'll swap out the ram and see what happens.

Comment

Hi all - very new to the forum but reading lots of great info. I'm looking to build / install a carputer and am thinking of going with a 32gb solid state drive since the prices now are more within reach ($250).

I live in a climate with extreme hot / cold temps (-20C -> 40C / -4F -> 100+F). Wondering if you guys think it's worth the extra investment to get a solid state HD? Any thoughts about performance in wintertime?

I looked up a couple of solid state drives and their operating temps are in the 0C -> 80C range... which could make them fail in winter??

Comment

SSD are generally more temperature resilient than disks. If you can afford it, the MTron Pro series MSP 7500 & MSP 7000 are targeted at industrial applications.
                          2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR In-Dash PC Project - WIP

Planning:
                          [----------] 100%
                          Purchasing:
                          [----------] 90%
                          Installation/Fab/Assembly (Revised v2):
                          [----------] 90%

Comment

Originally posted by tavenger5 View Post
                            I'm def starting to think it's the RAM or CPU - the CPU is made for a laptop though (AMD turion dual core) - Maybe I'll swap out the ram and see what happens.
                            So are you using a KINO-690S1 MoBo? I use the same board with a AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56 1.8ghz, and I live in Miami and have never had issues. Try checking the thermal paste and the cooling fan. My setup has the fan from IEI, but I hooked it up directly to the 12v rail so it will spin full speed all the time (when the mobo controlled it, it would overheat). I also added a fan to the GPU and then 2 large fans sucking hot air out the case. Maybe you should add a cooling fan to the SSD?
                            Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                            4X MK808b
                            3x Perixx Touchpads
                            3x 7 inch Screens
                            1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                            1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by Optimizer View Post
                              Hi all - very new to the forum but reading lots of great info. I'm looking to build / install a carputer and am thinking of going with a 32gb solid state drive since the prices now are more within reach ($250).

I live in a climate with extreme hot / cold temps (-20C -> 40C / -4F -> 100+F). Wondering if you guys think it's worth the extra investment to get a solid state HD? Any thoughts about performance in wintertime?

I looked up a couple of solid state drives and their operating temps are in the 0C -> 80C range... which could make them fail in winter??
                              What do you live in Fairbanks?

Comment

Working...
                              X