No announcement yet.

PC keeps rebooting after windows logo!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC keeps rebooting after windows logo!

Okay guys I have had my computer for a couple years now and have had a problem here and there but am usually able to fix it fairly quickly. The other day I noticed something weird with my computer though. I have it go into hibernation when I shut the car off. Well this time when I turned the car off, I noticed the computer shut down a lot faster than it normally does. So I go back and start the car again to see what's up with it. Nothing shows up on the screen and I go look at the computer and the red light is blinking at 1 second intervals without turning on. So I unplug it and then plug it back in and the computer turns on and begins to boot. Only now, after it gets past the Windows loading screen, it goes black like it's going to start the OS but instead reboots again! So it just does this constant cycle and now I can't get into Windows at all! Has anyone else had this weird problem before? I'm beginning to wonder maybe my power supply is going out or something.

I'm running the EPIA EN15000 motherboard with the M1-ATX power supply. I really thought it might be a power issue but I unplugged everything from the computer and let it try to boot and I still get nothing. I also thought I might have a bad ground or something somewhere but all my wires seem to be pretty solid. If anyone can help me out with this, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
    Matt

If it is old, it may be due for a cleaning. Get some canned air and a toothbrush. Sounds like a definite heat issue. Seen it a few times when the CPU fan dies (mostly) or when the heat sink fins fill with dust bunnies.
    My opinion is my own.

Comment

There wasn't a trace of dust inside the computer actually so it's definitely not a heat issue... Plus I tried starting it in the middle of the night when it wasn't hot at all and I had the same problem. I'm gonna see if I can even get into safe mode...it sounds like it might even be a software issue.

Comment

Originally posted by L-U-R-C-H View Post
        There wasn't a trace of dust inside the computer actually so it's definitely not a heat issue... Plus I tried starting it in the middle of the night when it wasn't hot at all and I had the same problem. I'm gonna see if I can even get into safe mode...it sounds like it might even be a software issue.
        Bummer....that's the only idea I had for an older computer.
        My opinion is my own.

Comment

hit F8 (i think) while it's booting and disable automatic restart on system failure. Sounds like your machine is bluescreening, but rebooting before it had a chance to display it. Also, give last known good config a shot too.
          Tidder

Try RevFE
          The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Sweet someone else suggested I try the F8 thing (safe mode) so I'll give that a shot! I tried last known good config and that didn't make any difference. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Comment

Okay I have an update. I hooked a normal power supply up to the computer so it's bypassing the M1-ATX. I tried going into safe mode and it's doing the same thing! It still won't even show the OS. So I know it has nothing to do with power at least. Sounds like it might be a hardware issue!

Comment

Originally posted by L-U-R-C-H View Post
                Okay I have an update. I hooked a normal power supply up to the computer so it's bypassing the M1-ATX. I tried going into safe mode and it's doing the same thing! It still won't even show the OS. So I know it has nothing to do with power at least. Sounds like it might be a hardware issue!
                sometimes happens with windows, reinstalling it might solves, give it a try!
                "case": Skoda Superb Elegance 1.8T
                Asrock G41MH-GE, E2180 2GHz dualcore, 1024MB DDR2/800, Samsung F1 750GB/7200RPM/32MB, M4-ATX, Lilliput FA1011 HDMI touchscreen, ASUS Xonar DG PCI, homemade Quectel L10 USB GPS

Comment

I would start by taking one stick of memory out and try booting it again. If this doesn't fix the problem, try putting that memory back in and taking out the other memory. If you don't have two sticks of memory, I would try taking it out, blowing some canned air in the memory slot and putting it back in. This to me sounds like a faulty memory stick or two. Give that a try and if need be either buy new memory or borrow some from someone that you know works.

Lets us know how this goes

Thanks Phil

Comment

I fixed it! I threw the Windows XP disk in it and did a repair! I think what happened was the boot system got corrupted some how from not shutting down properly. Just went into the recovery console and did a CHKDSK and it took forever but it boots now!

So yeah, hopefully this thread will be some help to other people that may have similar problems! Thanks guys for all your help!

Comment

A quick and easy way to fix that problem in the future:

Boot with the xp cd. On the first blue screen, hit R (repair)

go through and get a prompt. Then use the "Fix MBR" command (Fix Master Boot Record)

On older systems, I always think hardware, not software. My bad!
                      My opinion is my own.

Comment

Okay nevermind! It seemed to work fine when I had it hooked up to a normal size power supply in the house. I go to hook it back up in the car...gets to the windows logo and takes a lot longer than normal to load. The screen goes black and the cursor shows up. The screen turns to a blue color with the cursor like it's getting ready to start windows. Then bam! Blue screen of death pops up. So obviously it is because of a power issue. Would it just be that my M1-ATX is faulty or? I'm pretty sure that the 3 wires that are used for power (Ig, +5, -G) have good connections to the car. This sucks now I gotta fork over the money for a new power supply it looks like...

Comment

Disconnect everything except the computer and monitor. See if there is enough juice to boot. If there is, then you might be able to get away with using external 5v adapters to run DVD and hubs. If you are already trying to boot a bare system, then yeah, you're probably screwed.

Might still consider pulling RAM and any boards that are plugged in and clean them (pencil eraser and/or alcohol). A dirty connection (light corrosion) will create a larger current draw than a clean one.

Edit: Something to note. If you do find that the power supply isn't running under the same conditions as it did previously, even if you can get it to boot, something is probably dying and your success will probably only be temporary. Might start looking for a power supply deal.
                          My opinion is my own.

Comment

I would suspect that the disk is going out. I would base line the system and run diags on the memory and hard drive. MemTest.exe is free ware and the drive manufacturer usually have download test utilities.

Neil
                            neilhart
                            aka Neil
                            My Domain is www.sfba-corvette.com check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by neilhart View Post
                              I would suspect that the disk is going out. I would base line the system and run diags on the memory and hard drive. MemTest.exe is free ware and the drive manufacturer usually have download test utilities.

Neil
                              In addition to this, if you can get the computer to boot on another power supply, this would be a perfect time to clone the drive. If, when running chkdsk or any other memory test, and there are "floating" bad sectors (they move around), the harddrive has lost its low level formatting and from what I have found in the past, at that point, it's just cheaper to get a new drive.

Hooking the drive as a slave on another computer and then running diagnostics would help narrow down to problem to computer/ram or hdd.

On the other power supply, did you try multiple boots?
                              My opinion is my own.

Comment

Working...
                              X