EPIA M + Cold Weather?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EPIA M + Cold Weather?

So something in my current setup doesnt like below freezing (Sub 32F) temperatures, and im not exactly inclined to go trouble shoot piece by piece in the 20F weather. I've also been considering moving to the EPIA M and doing a 1U setup, and was just wondering if anyone has one in their car yet where its cold.
    -Nick

Hell, mine runs best when it's witch titty cold outside. Sometimes the LCD doesn't come on in the cold, though.
    Don't Click

Comment

I would very much doubt that it is the Epia that is the problem since it is all solid state electronic which in fact run better in cold temps. I could be wrong but I'd bet on it being another component such as HDD or CDROM over the Eden

Comment

Originally posted by Gutter
        witch titty cold
        Heh, thats a technical term, right? Just how cold is that? And yes, motherboads are pure electronics (solid state?) but they still have operating environmental specs, but i just wanted to make sure that i had a clean point of reference with the new hypothetical system.
        -Nick

Comment

I highly doubt you have the same problem as me but...

The back side of my fv24 would slightly warp when it got cold outside. I dont know if it was becouse of the case or the board itself contracting. It was enough though that the center pins of the memory would loose connection with the board. I put a rubber shim between the board and case direclty under the memory and havent had a problem since. The freezer also works quite nice for testing cold problems.

mike
          91 cadillac sedan deville, winXP, FV25 with Celeron 800, Redant 7" widescreen in dash, Opus DC-DC, Irman, Digital Cable remote(lots of buttons), 120 gig 7200rpm 8meg cache WD hard drive, VI power mobile HD rack, mediaengine

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Szilagyi
            The freezer also works quite nice for testing cold problems.
            Isn't there lots of moisture in a freezer? I dont exactly think that would help
            2008 Grand Prix GXP
            • Winbook TW801 8" Windows 8.1 Tablet
            • RF 3Sixty.3
            • 4ch Alpine on factory bi-amped Monsoon speakers
            • Directed HD-Radio
            • I need to post a built log

Comment

Originally posted by timothy
              Isn't there lots of moisture in a freezer? I dont exactly think that would help
              I was feeling a little crazy, maybe stupid that day. It worked though, it recreated my problem and didnt damage anything. That system works still works in my car to this day.

mike
              91 cadillac sedan deville, winXP, FV25 with Celeron 800, Redant 7" widescreen in dash, Opus DC-DC, Irman, Digital Cable remote(lots of buttons), 120 gig 7200rpm 8meg cache WD hard drive, VI power mobile HD rack, mediaengine

Comment

Working...
              X