Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drive suggestion

I searched the threads and can not find a comparison of which to use,
    A hard drive or a Emphase 40-pin Industrial Flash Disk.
    The reason I ask is power consumption and ease of use and setup.
    Will this Emphase 40-pin Industrial Flash Disk setup just like a hard drive?
    Thanks
    Calvin

Link to Emphase 40-pin Industrial Flash disk?
    Tidder

Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

Comment

HD will be less money and larger storage.
      TruckinMP3
      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

beaware that not all SSD drive use less power than regular 2.5" drive.
        http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...tery,1955.html

ease of use and setup, no difference
        shock resistance, ssd win
        seek times, ssd win
        dsatx in voompc 2 case <HERE>

Comment

I dont understand why people want SSD. As long as you take the correct precautions then your 2.5 HDD will most likely out live you.
          Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
          4X MK808b
          3x Perixx Touchpads
          3x 7 inch Screens
          1X 7 inch motorized Screen
          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
            I dont understand why people want SSD. As long as you take the correct precautions then your 2.5 HDD will most likely out live you.
            That is also true for 3.5 units.
            Why spend more $$$ ?
            TruckinMP3

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Size may also be a factor. Some SSDs are about 1" long. Also SSDs have a higher resistance to temp. changes (generally).
              2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR In-Dash PC Project - WIP

Planning:
              [----------] 100%
              Purchasing:
              [----------] 90%
              Installation/Fab/Assembly (Revised v2):
              [----------] 90%

Comment

Originally posted by galvitron View Post
                Size may also be a factor. Some SSDs are about 1" long. Also SSDs have a higher resistance to temp. changes (generally).
                Sure, the practical temp range for my set up... measured by actual use ... 10 degrees F

If it is colder than that I will likely fail to leave the house.

That is for a 3.5 SATA drive. I have not found the upper temp limit either.
                The durability as far as motion.... try a frame bending wreck or two.... Yup did that also.

You will be unable to change my experiance by your anecdotal evidence.
                TruckinMP3

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
                  The whole reason I wanted to do it was just for the added protection and comfort I feel using one as my boot drive. I've ended up going with a CF card and a micro install of windows with EWF. And the way I've thought it out, is if my regular HDD dies with all my music and stuff, I'll still be able to use GPS. That's my main concern. I take a lot of loooong trips and don't bother taking a map, and don't have GPS soft on my laptop.

Only reason for this is because I did have an hdd die on me while out and about. Don't wanna be left without navi.
                  Tidder

Try RevFE
                  The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

Comment

i live in Miami FL.... and its 99.9% of the time blazing hot..... and it was so easy to take precautions to keep the drive cool (is always about 25C). I also built it in a floating frame thats vertical, so when i hit bumps, then needle doesnt go crashing into the disk, instead glides across it. Now i will admit i dont know how it would do in cold weather, but i am sure it wont have issues. Its all about how you design the case and PC.

PS: I worry about that too Tidder, but its way in the back of my mind.... but just in case, my PPC Mogul can connect to my GPS via BT, although I have never had to do that except during the testing phase of my system.
                    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                    4X MK808b
                    3x Perixx Touchpads
                    3x 7 inch Screens
                    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by TruckinMP3 View Post
                      Sure, the practical temp range for my set up... measured by actual use ... 10 degrees F

If it is colder than that I will likely fail to leave the house.

That is for a 3.5 SATA drive. I have not found the upper temp limit either.
                      The durability as far as motion.... try a frame bending wreck or two.... Yup did that also.

You will be unable to change my experiance by your anecdotal evidence.
                      I'm not trying to change anything. I was responding to this:

Originally posted by HiJackZX1
                      And this:

Originally posted by TruckinMP3
                      Why spend more $$$ ?
                      It is not really anecdotal. If you want, I can go look up the specific links to temperature ranges and shock resistance that illustrate the more rugged nature of most SSDs.

Whether or not these features are useful to you or not are another matter...

Planning:
                      [----------] 100%
                      Purchasing:
                      [----------] 90%
                      [----------] 90%

Comment

I'm not trying to change anything. I was responding to this:

It is not really anecdotal. If you want, I can go look up the specific links to temperature ranges and shock resistance that illustrate the more rugged nature of most SSDs.

Whether or not these features are useful to you or not are another matter...
                        What does your experiance show?

Sure, the values shown for the more durable are done in the lab and I do not dispute the research or accuracy. My very real experiance tells me the lab proven results are so far past the real world as to not matter.

If someone wants to fund the hardware research go ahead and spend the money on solid state devices. It is like buying a high end sports car to drive a block to the grocery store.... overkill.
                        TruckinMP3

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Originally posted by TruckinMP3 View Post
                          What does your experiance show?

Sure, the values shown for the more durable are done in the lab and I do not dispute the research or accuracy. My very real experiance tells me the lab proven results are so far past the real world as to not matter.

If someone wants to fund the hardware research go ahead and spend the money on solid state devices. It is like buying a high end sports car to drive a block to the grocery store.... overkill.
                          That's fine. If you don't think it's worth it, don't buy one.

I gather from reading these forums that a certain amount of people don't trust hard drives in their vehicle. I think that the most common reason for this is that something without moving parts is generally better for your piece of mind. It is definitely not necessary to buy an SSD, as a hard disk will probably not fail you. But a lot of people don't mind dropping the extra coin on the high-end.

Another reason (for some) is size:

Planning:
                          [----------] 100%
                          Purchasing:
                          [----------] 90%
                          [----------] 90%

Comment

That's fine. If you don't think it's worth it, don't buy one.

I gather from reading these forums that a certain amount of people don't trust hard drives in their vehicle. I think that the most common reason for this is that something without moving parts is generally better for your piece of mind. It is definitely not necessary to buy an SSD, as a hard disk will probably not fail you. But a lot of people don't mind dropping the extra coin on the high-end.

Another reason (for some) is size:

Search around a bit, you have just summed up most threads on storage for the last 10+ years. I know as I have contributed to many of them.

Durability is not a valid reason to spend the money as less money solutions are more durable than the environment needs.... size, heat, power consumption might be a reason for some.
                            TruckinMP3

Read the FAQ!

Comment

That's my main concern, durable and temp.
                              I came to this site because I know if anyone knows about this stuff it's you guys.
                              This setup is going in my Lifesize R2D2 droid and the pounding and heat will be
                              pretty rough sometimes.
                              Don't nail me to hard fellows " I'm not a robot freak" atleast that's what I keep telling myself.
                              I just need some help from someone with experience in this area and this will complete my $7000.00 project.
                              Thanks
                              Calvin

Comment

Working...
                              X