God I hate hackers!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God I hate hackers!

Well I installed a new antenna for my Sprint AirCard 595U. It is supposed to give me a 13 db gain, and once I connected it, my card went from 20% to 100%, so it does as advertised. I hadnt used the card for internet explorer for a while, only SlingBox. Well when I went to use internet explorer I could not load it at all. I have never installed a Anti-Virus or Spyware program because most CarPC users say that it will slow the system down. I decided to install Windows Defender and it turned out I had like 6 spyware and malware programs. I then decided to install Norton Anti-Virus Corporate edition and ran that, 2 viruses in my temporary internet files. I then cleaned everything and the internet now works nice. I am wondering what other Anti-Virus software I can use that will offer me full protection with a small foot print. From what I see, the Norton Corporate seems to be very very simplistic when it comes to the GUI, seems to also start up fast, so am I safe to assume Norton made their corporate editions to be fast and not kill CPU usage? Also Windows Defender seems to be lightning fast also. I do notice that on hibernation though, it takes the system a bit longer to do so, but still comes out of hibernation really fast.

Would like to know your experiences and what you guys recommend.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

Try AVG Free. I use it on all of my computers (desktops, laptops) and it works great. It has one of the smallest footprints of any AV and does realtime as well as scheduled scans. It also plugs into a lot of software such as browsers, email clients, etc.

They update the virus signature database daily and even more quickly when a new, serious threat is discovered.

I have used it for about three years now and, knock on wood, have not been attacked since. It detects spyware, malware, viruses, trojans, whatever and the price is right--FREE!!!
    Thanks,

Dan

Comment

I second the AVG.
      It's free, lightweight and doesn't have a significant impact on performance.
      Not to mention that it provides better protection against more malware than Norton, even the corp. edition (Sorry Enforcer).
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I got bagle.gen with AVG
        It's been a while...

Comment

I also recommend Zone Alarm by Check Point as a firewall

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
            I second the AVG.
            It's free, lightweight and doesn't have a significant impact on performance.
            Not to mention that it provides better protection against more malware than Norton, even the corp. edition (Sorry Enforcer).

Yeah, like thinks RoadRunner is a virus and kills it.

I am happy with my choice DP, so no need to be sorry.

Comment

NOD32 is my recommendation or Avast!. AVG was great until the most recent release. AVG has once again joined the ranks with Norton on hijacking your computer... (it overprotects, locks down everything, and now also includes a utility to uninstall... you'd think norton wrote it.)

Comment

Originally posted by BrownieMan View Post
                I also recommend Zone Alarm by Check Point as a firewall
                Yeah... probably don't load that on the CarPC, talk about bogging down and screetching to a halt.

I use ClamAV (ClamWin). It doesn't do any realtime protection, so no resources are used up, I just run a scan periodically to make sure I'm clean. Running EWF, I'm pretty sure I won't catch anything. Just waiting for the day that a virus comes out that supports EWF though, that ought to be fun to try and catch.
                Tidder

Try RevFE
                The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                  Yeah... probably don't load that on the CarPC, talk about bogging down and screetching to a halt.

I disagree, on my PC right now it's only using about 9 megs of memory, Firefox is using 72. Considering that most of the CarPC's out there are going to be using at least a 512 of RAM and have at least a 1 Ghz processor I don't see any reason NOT to use it.

Comment

Considering that it slows down almost ANY PC I load it on, I don't see any reason to use it.

Anytime I've used ZoneAlarm, it's slowed my computer down, added about 20 seconds to the boot time, and really is pointless if you know what you're doing.
                    Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                      Considering that it slows down almost ANY PC I load it on, I don't see any reason to use it.

Anytime I've used ZoneAlarm, it's slowed my computer down, added about 20 seconds to the boot time, and really is pointless if you know what you're doing.
                      20 seconds?!?! that's a lot. I've never had that problem at all. Are you using the freeware version? Did you download some companion software with it?

And I don't consider firewalls ever "pointless", even if "you know what you are doing". How do you think hackers get into ANY machine; lack of firewall.

Comment

XP has a built in firewall.

To be honest with you, I haven't tried ZoneAlarm since it's changed hands. Perhaps now it's better than it was. I'll have to give it a go again and see how I feel about it now.

EDIT: Wow, so I actually haven't used it since 2004... sheesh has it been that long already?
                        Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

I use AVG Free on all my computers. Works great, never had a problem.
                          2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
                          Core Duo CarPC
                          CarDomain page

Comment

I was considering AVG but I guess I have that stigma about name brands.... I figure it would be better. Does Norton Corporate scan in the background? Doesnt seem like it does. I love Windows Defender, they seem to have redesigned it to have a small foot print. When I cold boot it takes only a few seconds longer, but waking up out of hibernation has not been affected.... still about 5 to 6 seconds. Hibernation to turn off has been increased, which is a gimme since it has to make a larger image.

Something in the back of my mind though says that Norton is not 100% safe. I would love to use Windows One Care, I have that on all my computers, but I dont want to have to worry about a second subscription (used up the first one that includes up to 3 pcs)

Tidder, I agree, Windows firewall is good enough.

I think this all going to come down to testing. If I do use AVG or the others, I would not need their spyware or malware capabilities because I will keep defender.

I also does Norton Corp update on its own?

It so up setting that we have to take all these percautions. It seems that now adays even not downloading something directly will get you a virus or spyware. As long as your on a page just looking at it will get you sick. (I use my Home PC to transfer large programs, then move via a 4 gig thumb drive).
                            Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                            4X MK808b
                            3x Perixx Touchpads
                            3x 7 inch Screens
                            1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                            1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
                            X