Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVD/CD Slot load that acutally works?? Anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD/CD Slot load that acutally works?? Anyone?

I have read threw the disgusting amounts of threads about optical drives. Slim slot load, IDE to USb etc..

I recently purchased a Slim Slot Load CD/DVD RW form an online store It is a Pioneer DVR-K05 and it is crap.

Trying all configurations USB 2.0 etc It always fails to be detected. Xp will ding, say it does not recognize device. Other times it will say SUB MASS storage installed! YEA!!! NO!! Its not a mass storage drive!!

Any ways... I know I have the right setup, right power, 2 usb both running regulated 5v etc..

Anyone have one that actually works. I think it is appalling to see how many pieces of hardware out there fail. Anyone just have an external USB or Firewire drive that "Just Works"?

Thanks...

Probably the ide-to-usb adapter rather than the drive itself.

Comment

Well that would be nice and cheap to fix however I have no way of testing that theory.

Comment

I went to a firewire setup (using a slim drive within an enclosure) -- it worked right away. Much more reliable than any usb combinations I tried, and no additional power needed!

Comment

Thanks for your input guys...I will try one and let you know.

Comment

I've been trying to find a slim firewire enclosure for my dvd drive for a while now with no success. Everything I find is usb 2.0. am I just looking in the wrong places?

Comment

Originally posted by HoffR1 View Post
              I've been trying to find a slim firewire enclosure for my dvd drive for a while now with no success. Everything I find is usb 2.0. am I just looking in the wrong places?
              Check this out.

Comment

Originally posted by HoffR1 View Post
                Why do you want firewire though? USB 2.0 is faster.
                Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                4X MK808b
                3x Perixx Touchpads
                3x 7 inch Screens
                1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
                  Why do you want firewire though? USB 2.0 is faster.
                  Are you serious?? That is absolutely backwards. It is a common knowledge (and do some googling) tat fire wire is faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougw133 View Post
                    Are you serious?? That is absolutely backwards. It is a common knowledge (and do some googling) tat fire wire is faster.

http://www.cwol.com/firewire/firewire-vs-usb.htm

Comment

Firewire vs USB according to............
                      If you cant DODGE em, RAM em.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougw133 View Post
                        OK, I see.... USB 2.0 is 480 mbps and FireWire is 400 mbps. They say Firewire is faster because of its sustained throughput. My bad, I was only paying attention to the 480 vs 400.
                        Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                        4X MK808b
                        3x Perixx Touchpads
                        3x 7 inch Screens
                        1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Yeah, its just like when IDE claims it CAN do 133 MB/s or whatever medium you want. They never actually go that fast consistently.

Comment

6 in one half, a dozen in the other

Comment

And, firewire is especially useful for those of us that have USB 1.1.

Thanks for the link!

One question though, can you boot off a firewire port if you had a 2.5" HD enclosure? I found one of those once, can't seem to locate it now...
                              Working on - 2006 Cadillac Escalade with all the TOYS!

COMPLETE! - 2002 Cadillac DTS - Summer 2008 - SOLD SUMMER 2010

COMPLETE! - 1998 Cadillac Deville Concours - Summer 2007 - SOLD SUMMER 2008

Comment

Working...
                              X