Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Griffin Powermate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Griffin Powermate

    Hi folks,

    Anyone using the Griffin Powermate? If so what Operating System?

    If Windows:

    What are you using it to control?
    What are the positives and negatives?


    If Linux:

    Are you using the XMMS plug-in?
    Are you using any other user space utilities?
    What are the positives and negatives?

    Thanks in advance for your time!
    Regards,

    Todd E. Johnson
    http://www.groomlakelabs.com/grandamp/

  • #2
    Hey I had gotten one for review, it should still be on the site somewhere www.subzerotech.com .

    I've been using Windows XP, winXP's auto installation is sort of annoying, since it installs the wrong drivers. Also, it doesn't seem to be possible to use it for games: Their website/manual talks about the "game mode" that sets the key to constantly press while being turned etc, but this option seems to be only available for the Mac (which ironically has very few games).

    Otherwise, it's very versatile, I find it quite useful as only a volume knob, but I've set it so when I push and turn it changes tracks (I use Winamp, and dled a plugin that uses keyboard commands and doesn't require winamp to be the active window).

    It works fairly well and has support for a number of popular programs preinstalled. Also, it's very well manufactured (high quality polished aluminum, nice glowing base, very cool).

    They are a little Mac-centric, and the software support for the PC is still reasonable, but not as good as the Mac's. I can't speak for Linux (butI believe it isn't supported).

    The manual is detailed and helpful, overall it's a good buy.

    birrman54

    Comment


    • #3
      I have one and plan on using it in my car. You can program it for a bunch of things. I use it in windows, right now just to mute the Vol. when I "click" it. In WinAMP I use it to scroll through songs with the spin left and right, select the song highlighted with the click and FF and FR while click and spin L and R. This is not my only control for my carputer but it's nice to let people scroll through songs when they don't know what to listen to.

      BTW: Griffin released a black limited edition Powermate.
      Aura MR62 (F and R)
      My Current MP3s
      IamDefiler.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Birrman54
        I can't speak for Linux (butI believe it isn't supported).

        birrman54
        Actually, there is Linux support. The driver _Should_ be included in the next version of the 2.4. kernel. It is already in the 2.5 kernel.
        For now, a kernel patched may be obtained at :

        http://sowerbutts.com/powermate/

        For a simple userspace utility, I wrote an XMMS plugin, which can be obtained from:

        http://groomlakelabs.com/grandamp/code/


        Hope this helps, and thanks for the info!
        Regards,

        Todd E. Johnson
        http://www.groomlakelabs.com/grandamp/

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tejohnson
          Actually, there is Linux support. The driver _Should_ be included in the next version of the 2.4. kernel. It is already in the 2.5 kernel.
          For now, a kernel patched may be obtained at :

          http://sowerbutts.com/powermate/

          For a simple userspace utility, I wrote an XMMS plugin, which can be obtained from:

          http://groomlakelabs.com/grandamp/code/


          Hope this helps, and thanks for the info!
          ah I didn't know, it's not mentioned in the manual.

          And a black powermate would be pimp.

          birrman54

          Comment


          • #6
            Do any of you find this ...rather expensive? Is it worth it? How versitile is it?

            .... I really am thinking of ripping apart a old mouse with a scroll wheel and .. attempting to make one of m own though I doubt it would be as nice as a real one.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by arsalan_altaf
              Do any of you find this ...rather expensive? Is it worth it? How versitile is it?

              .... I really am thinking of ripping apart a old mouse with a scroll wheel and .. attempting to make one of m own though I doubt it would be as nice as a real one.
              Look on ebay. You can prolly find it for $20 less that the Griffin web site.
              Aura MR62 (F and R)
              My Current MP3s
              IamDefiler.com

              Comment


              • #8
                what kind of mounting options do they have?

                Comment


                • #9
                  None...

                  3M "Clear Mounting Tape" works well though....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I hardly ever use mine, but damn the pulsing blue LEDs sure look cool!
                    Take a look at my CarPC

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have 2 in the mail...
                      One of which will be a rip-apart guinneau pig... I plan on replacing the blue LED's with some red ones (to match my car's "theme"), and I may attempt to have the aluminum knobs annodized black, just for you, Birrman

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I plan on this device being my main control... I will use it to "scan" between radio stations, adjust volume, everything. Of course I have the wireless keyboard and touchpad to back it up though

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Euclid
                          I have 2 in the mail...
                          One of which will be a rip-apart guinneau pig... I plan on replacing the blue LED's with some red ones (to match my car's "theme"), and I may attempt to have the aluminum knobs annodized black, just for you, Birrman
                          What website did you order yours from?

                          This is the coolest gadget, I am definitely getting one!

                          This website has nice big pictures of it.
                          http://www.digitalww.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Just a question...
                            Is the plastic on the bottom actually blue, or just the LED's?

                            Thanks!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              the plastic is "ice white" and the LEDs are blue
                              Take a look at my CarPC

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X