cd changer hack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cd changer hack

ive read a few threads about hacking a cd changer input to control a pc. but that seems to be an almost impossible task. why not pick up an older changer off ebay or something and hack the changer itself. there has to be signal wires that go to motors to chage disks and tracks so couldn't you just use those wire and a few relays and then wire it to a keyboard controller curcuit or something? it might be easier than trying to hack the input. just an idea. let me know what you think.
    System: AMD Duron 1200+ , 512 MB ram , usb sb mp3+ , Tview 7" touchscreen , M1-ATX PSU , Slot Load iMac DVD-Rom , 40 GB laptop HDD, netgear USB 802.11g

Progress: Installation: 90% Dash fabrication: 80%

Parts Needed: USB GPS

No.

It would be MUCH easier to get a CD Changer unit that was intended for mounting to an existing OEM car stereo. These come with a small wired remote unit that has the simple push switches, and these could be wired to the parallel port say for control.

Hacking the protocol has been done, but you would need a serious bodge to work a changer with just switches. IMHO it couldnt be done with some sort of embedded controller.

Dave

Comment

i think you night have misunderstood me. i'm talking about people that have an aftermarket head unit with cd changer control. some people including myself would like to use thier head unit's control capabilities to control thier car pc. there have been several attempts to hack the cd changer inputs on some head units, but i am unaware of anyone who has hacked the interface. i know that there has been some progress on pioneer head units though. i have a jvc head unit and a cd changer that i dont really use, however it does work. i was just thinking that instead of trying to hack the input directly it might be easier to use the changer itself as sort of a translator for the input to the pc. i hope that i have made myself more clear in my thoughts. again any input is greatly appreciated.
      System: AMD Duron 1200+ , 512 MB ram , usb sb mp3+ , Tview 7" touchscreen , M1-ATX PSU , Slot Load iMac DVD-Rom , 40 GB laptop HDD, netgear USB 802.11g

Comment

http://gnunilink.sourceforge.net
        http://www.cus.org.uk/cleggy/

There are some link's on the cleggy site (currently down, but that happens) to another site that has info on the JVC bus, but the link escapes me at the moment.

Dave

Comment

thanks! that helps out a lot. i really appreciate it. how did you find those sites? i've tried doing searches but have found nothing untill now.

anybody else have any info?

Comment

does anyone know if its possile to send track names to my head unit as cd text? that would be awesome.

Comment

If anyone has a sony, I'm going to be making a unilink adaptor thing shown on gnunilink.sourceforge.net and I could make extras if you tell me soon enough so I can order your parts as well..

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by meyer64
                does anyone know if its possile to send track names to my head unit as cd text? that would be awesome.
                If you have a sony headunit you can do that already with the gnunilink device. Best go back and re-read it
                If you really want integration, the easist way would be to sell up and go the Sony route. But if you already have a lot of JVC gear this might not be what you want to do.

I came across the gnunilink thing from being involved with a project to decode the Pioneer (IP-BUS) interface, but it didnt get anywhere fast. I gave up when I bought my empeg.
                Now, I want to be able to connect a Sony (since the info is pretty much there) CD changer to the PC.
                ie. the PC controls the changer. Info is there, it's finding the time to look at it, learn how to program the PIC and do a linux frontend. So not much then

Dave

Comment

Info is there, it's finding the time to look at it, learn how to program the PIC and do a linux frontend. So not much then
                  I can make the PIC + cable if anyone needs it like I said above.. just holla

Jason

Comment

Anyone currently using one of these devices? I am thinking I will go with a Sony unit since the protocol is all documented. Have the GNUnilink devices proved reliable over a longer period of time?
                    -SiliconIce

Comment

ive got a broken sony cdstacker that i use to get aux input never bothered trying to hack the control lines but it soulds like a good idea
                      pity sony suck and the face got stolen of my head deck so its just lying around taking up room
                      donate to my team in the ****box rally all proceeds go to the cancer council http://www.everydayhero.com.au/dodgy_mechanics

Comment

Did someone mention a pioneer cd changer hack??? i know that pioneer actually makes one, but its FRIGGN expensive... mite as well sell it and buy an amp and forget the headunit
                        92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Epia MII12000 :D
                        Morex 80W
                        120G External HDD
                        16x2 Charater Display
                        Creative IR Remote
                        VIA Sereniti 2000 Mini ITX Case
                        7.2Ah SLA Tank
                        PCMCIA 802.11b
                        256DDR Ram

Diamonds are for girls- wise men follow the stars

Comment

Do you mean an AUX input http://members.lycos.co.uk/cdrb20/ or an actually remote control unit or a changer?

Comment

If you have a VW or Audi setup you can use this:

http://www.k9spud.com/vwcdpic/

Comment

Working...
                            X