8GB Sandisk Extreme IV only detecting 2GB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8GB Sandisk Extreme IV only detecting 2GB

Any ideas? I have another CF card that shows up as 8, but unfortunately it is a cheapie and can't boot. I bought this one and now it seems like it only recognizes just under 2GB. I tried to repartition it and all but the 1.9xxGB is all there is to play with. Is there a setting somewhere I am missing? or do I just have a bad card?

Did you buy it off eBay? Alot of scammer sellers are selling various devices like mp3 players with less memory than actual.

Comment

I did, but the guy had lots of very good feedback. like 100's.

Comment

Yea, alot of these scammers usually have high ratings. Might wanna read this:

http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-SanDisk...00000001456539

http://martybugs.net/articles/fakesandisk.cgi

Comment

Might also check the filesystem- alot of devices will format a CF card to fat16, which is limited to -you guessed it- 2gb

Comment

It was Fat16 but I deleted the partition and all fdisk or windows gives me to play with is the 2GB.

Comment

I second the scammer concept. Do you have a link to item? A lot times the scammers will format with a program that allows windows to think it has more than it really does. So you can try filling it with 7.4ish gigs of music but it will stop at 1.9 because its full.
              Love

Comment

it must be a fake one.
                ------------------------------

98 Honda civic
                In-Dash LCD Monitor K-301
                cappuccino EZ3
                PIII-1.2GHZ
                256MB PC133
                40GB HD
                Holux GR 213 Sirf Star III GPS
                IguidanceV2
                CNX-P1900 power supply
                Sound Blaster Live USB

Comment

I guess so. Well he got me. Thing is his account did get suspended the day right after I paid for the card. So I contacted him and he continued to talk to me even though his account was suspended. He even shipped out the card 6-7 days later. I figured if he was scamming me, what is the point in even doing that. He had several hundred positive feedback on flash memory up to that point so I figured I would be ok.

Now I am in a pickle as that was the last piece I needed to finish my build before installing it.

Comment

I bought the sandisk cruzer off of ebay and when I put mine in it reads that it is 3.5 GB but i bought 4 GB. The rest is being used for built in applications that cant be removed. Your missing a whole 6 GB though, thats very odd.
                    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                    4X MK808b
                    3x Perixx Touchpads
                    3x 7 inch Screens
                    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I got a 2gb Sony MicroVault off ebay once. Come to find out it was a 128mb drive formatted with a utility that let it show 2gb. I found the utility, changed the name of the device to EatMyPoo, formatted it to 8gb, and then set it on fire.

Anyway, sad to hear man. It could also be a mistake on the sellers part. I once got busted for selling what I thought were snap-on branded harley davidson socket sets. Come to find out, they were not snap-on. Ooopsie. Could be that he bought a couple cards thinking he got a hell of a deal, and didn't bother to test them.
                      Tidder

Try RevFE
                      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

I have a feeling that since he got shut down after I bought it and looking on ebay at the high amount of cards that seem to be scams (it appears to be a lot, they should really clean it up), I have a feeling that I had a guy that used to be good, turned bad. I figure that is how they do it, they sell legit items for decent price, then once their rating gets high enough they put this crap on there and sell it for a couple of weeks before anybody catches on. By then they are long gone.

The one thing that is a mystery to me is why did they even bother sending anything. They already had my money and their ebay account was shut down before they shipped it.

Oh well, hopefully paypal can take care of it. They have come through for me before.

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
                          I bought the sandisk cruzer off of ebay and when I put mine in it reads that it is 3.5 GB but i bought 4 GB. The rest is being used for built in applications that cant be removed. Your missing a whole 6 GB though, thats very odd.
                          Actually thats because of the misnomer that a gigabyte is equal to 1,000,000,000 bytes when in reality, 1024 bytes equals 1 kb, 1024 kb equals 1 mb, and then 1024 mb equals 1gb. Remember, everything is in powers of two! I have "500" gb hard drive that when it is formatted is really only 460ish gb of free space.
                          Love

Comment

I notice alot of people are doing shady stuff on Ebay. I bought a MoBo for a friend off of ebay and when i got it, it wasnt what I ordered. I complained to the seller, then next thing you know he was kicked off of ebay for breaking rules. When i went to go ask ebay what happened they said it was classified and that i should take it up with paypal. Thankfully i was able to use the MoBo. Same thing happened with some USB headers i ordered, as soon as i hit send payment, I get a email that this user has commited fraud. So I waited 3 days and the items came in the mail. Its becoming very hard to trust people on Ebay.
                            Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                            4X MK808b
                            3x Perixx Touchpads
                            3x 7 inch Screens
                            1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                            1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
                            X