5400 or 7200 rpm harddrive..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5400 or 7200 rpm harddrive..

would drive speed make a difference in a carputer? like the system im building is for a jetway amd set up with a 1.4 GHZ processor with a 80GB 2.5 5400rmp sata drive...would getting a 7200 make a big difference? i mean..all i need it for music/video...the usual carpc stuff...its not like im going to do photoshop on it or play crisis on it...... music -video -dvd - visualizations..that it..not much more...
    CarPc
    Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Installation & Fabrication [98%]

Total Completion Level [96.9 %]

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ct-driver.html

No, a 7200 rpm won't make a difference. I went from a 7200rpm IDE 60GB to a 5400rpm SATA 120GB drive and didn't notice a thing. Carpc aren't that demanding.

Comment

in theory boot times and disk access will be faster with a 7200RPM

BUT

the faster it spins the more chance there is of a bump in the road making a bump on your disk, and more chance of losing data

5400rpm sata is heaps fast enough for a car anyway.

Comment

5400 rpm hybrid (readydrive). Idle most of the time.
        My opinion is my own.

Comment

the higher RPM disk has higher inertia (i dont know, if its the proper expression), so its more secure in theory... but it depends on many thing, like its rotation/position, and others... so, i have a 7200 disc because its faster than 5400...
          "case": Skoda Superb Elegance 1.8T
          Asrock G41MH-GE, E2180 2GHz dualcore, 1024MB DDR2/800, Samsung F1 750GB/7200RPM/32MB, M4-ATX, Lilliput FA1011 HDMI touchscreen, ASUS Xonar DG PCI, homemade Quectel L10 USB GPS

Comment

The hybrid readydrive uses a flash disk in conjuction with the harddrive, writing what is needed to the flash, then stopping the heads. So the 5400 rpm really doesn't mean anything.
            My opinion is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by danielkh View Post
              The hybrid readydrive uses a flash disk in conjuction with the harddrive, writing what is needed to the flash, then stopping the heads. So the 5400 rpm really doesn't mean anything.
              there is no disk in flash memory.

And the 5400 means alot when booting.

Only time you will ever notice the difference is at a full boot, and during file transfers. Other times your disk is at like 1% average usage.
              Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
              1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
              30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
              Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Built in Flash DRIVE....happy now?
                Actually, watching the harddrive light, it is a LOT different from a non-hybrid drive on activity.
                My opinion is my own.

Comment

I meant the only difference statement on non-hybrid drives. Probably should have had some sort of transitional sentence in their too. Oh well. But yes the difference between a flash based hybrid drive and a good 'ol 100% magnetic disk are quite large. Also big differences in power consumption (if your OS supports it).
                  Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                  1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                  30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                  15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                  Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

If you visit tom's hardware you can view a list of 2.5" hard drives with their read/write performance numbers, in there you'll be surprised some 5400 rpms are faster at delivering data than 7200 rpms. With hibernate cutting down boot times to mere seconds there really isn't a need for fast drives on a carpc.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.
                      CarPc
                      Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Installation & Fabrication [98%]

Total Completion Level [96.9 %]

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ct-driver.html

Comment

So... does 7200 speed up hibernation resume considerably?
                        This is my biggest pain so far - slow hibernation resume.

Comment

Mine takes about 2.5 seconds to resume data from hibernate (loading from a 5400 rpm SATA hard drive). I purposely purchased only 512MB of ram so hibernation files are smaller/faster.

Comment

Working...
                          X