• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone see this? asus eee box

anyone hear of this?

http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=11854

and heres some google links

http://news.google.com/news?q=asus%2...-8&sa=N&tab=wn

its basically a low power micro pc but looks PERFECT for a carputer installation! and most importantly... its CHEAPP!!!! i saw some on ebay for $250.

anyone using one of these for a carputer? i was gonna hack up an old dell desktop for my project but after finding this it may be worth it to pay 300 bucks and save on frustration! plus the eee box is wayyy smaller than ill ever package the dell.

thoughts? opinions? henious comments?

Nice but...

$250 not that cheap. Although if it was auto ready might be a good deal. Otherwise you'll need an inverter or some other dc power(carnex) depending on the adapter. I bought a SX280 P4-2.8 HT 1 gb ram, cd rom,40 gb HD, 15" lcd, keyboard and mouse for less than $200.00. Watch e-bay and you'll find a deal.
    For those who fought FREEDOM has a flavor the PROTECTED will never know. Support our troops.

Comment

How can someone have 0 posts and have at least one post?

insaneramman: The EEE Box is smaller and has lower power demands.

Comment

Maybe ...

But, Still need an inverter. If I were him or anyone else I'd check a couple of carpc sites first - http://store.mp3car.com/Mp3Car_Custo..._p/ccc-120.htm and that's just here. Then again to each his own.
        For those who fought FREEDOM has a flavor the PROTECTED will never know. Support our troops.

Comment

schweeet

Originally posted by insaneramman View Post
          But, Still need an inverter. If I were him or anyone else I'd check a couple of carpc sites first - http://store.mp3car.com/Mp3Car_Custo..._p/ccc-120.htm and that's just here. Then again to each his own.
          wow, i didnt see that yet! thanks for the tip insaneramman!

Comment

Originally posted by insaneramman View Post
            There's always a way to rig a DC-to-DC power supply. If these have an external power brick, which would make sense, it'd be fairly easy to get a DC-to-DC adapter.

Comment

Wow I haven't been round here in a while.

Mainly why I stopped the CarPC thing was I wasn't satisfied with the boot times I was achieving.

If what I read about them is true, the Asus Express Gate technology should have the computer up and running in slightly longer than a standard head unit, which greatly interests me. (5 seconds boot time advertised on asus' site, 7 sec to get from off to running skype advertised on my local computer store website)

I am going to pick one up and see what it's about.
              Vancouver Island Imports

Comment

I also saw this and was interested in purchasing it for my upcoming car PC project.

What would need to be purchased aside from the Eee Box in order to get it to turn on when the ignition is turned on and also shut down or put into hibernate when the ignition is shut off?

Comment

Originally posted by tom61 View Post
                  There's always a way to rig a DC-to-DC power supply. If these have an external power brick, which would make sense, it'd be fairly easy to get a DC-to-DC adapter.
                  I just got home from Anitec computers with mine, and it does infact have an external power supply, I'll post more once I use it a bit!
                  Vancouver Island Imports

Comment

Fantastic....can you let me know what would be involved in getting it setup to start up and shut down like other smart PSU.

Comment

Originally posted by rudetrini View Post
                      Fantastic....can you let me know what would be involved in getting it setup to start up and shut down like other smart PSU.
                      You'd need a DC-DC power supply and a shutdown controller.
                      It's very possible to get all of this in one unit, such as the Carnetix models.
                      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by ajdale View Post
                        I just got home from Anitec computers with mine, and it does infact have an external power supply, I'll post more once I use it a bit!
                        Any progress with this yet? Does anybody have any opinions on use in a vehicle environment?

Comment

Where was you ee box made?

ASUS Recall: All Eee Box PCs made in Japan

October 14, 2008 | Filed under Computers

ASUS Recall:

If you are the owner of an Asus Eee Box PC, then you will have the hassle of sending your unit back, as the ones made in Japan are being recalled. The reason for the recall is because of a virus named “recycled.exe”.

The virus was loaded on to the Asus Eee Box when the software was loaded on it, which was tailored for the Japanese market. The virus is hidden in the Eee Box “D” drive, which then becomes active once the user is initialized by the buyer.

The virus then copies itself to the C drive as well as any removable or USB drives connected. The virus will then slow down the computer and could also attempt to download more viruses. Only the Asus Eee Box PC’s made in Japan are affected.
                          Check out my CARPC: Project Diamond Plate

Quick Reference:
                          CPU Electrical Specs
                          Power Supply Calculator

Video Connections for newbies
                          Temperature Converter
                          Voltage Calculator

Comment

Any update on this? I just was reminded by someone that this thing exists, and I'm really interested in trying it. It's down to about 365 at NCIX, which is not all that bad for a fully integrated ultra-small PC, so if the power issue was handled (maybe a capacitor hooked up to the power line so it survives cranks?), it would be a very interesting alternative.
                            Doko ni datte, hito wa tsunagatte iru...

My BMW 335xi install
                            My Subaru Impreza install (now retired...)
                            Realtime audio freestyle hiphop battles online - www.letsbeef.com!

Comment

Hey, sorry guys I've totally forgotten about the thread!!

My Car-PC has been on hold until I scrounge up some other bits and pieces to make it more fully functioning, and I'm trying to come up with some unique solutions to some pet-peeves I have with Car-PCs.

However I can talk about the EeeBox a bit more...

I've been using it as a media computer inside my house since the small form factor makes it extremely ideal for storing around an LCD TV. It won't play 1080p media, but rumor has it (I haven't confirmed, simply because I haven't been bothered to yet) that it can play 720p media with CoreAVC codec... with FDShow its too slow, which is what I've been running.

One key feature which I based the purchase on was the ExpressGate which let the PC boot up in 7 seconds to a usable state... except this is only with 4 select programs which really limits its use in a car pc. However I bet with a stripped down windows, linux or whatever you want to run you could make it boot up quickly anyway.

The virus recall I didn't even know about and didn't matter because the first thing I did after trying the express gate was format all partitions on the computer.

As far as putting it in a car goes, I wouldn't hesitate to try... it seems like the perfect candidate thus far if the boot times are quick, again I haven't tried, since mines been running windows media center.
                              Vancouver Island Imports

Comment

Working...
                              X