FM Modulators

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FM Modulators

Got a 99 Silverado for Christmas and need to incorporate the mp3player. I want to keep the factory setup. It has cassette and CD (CD being the AUX). Really didn't want to splice into anything so I started looking for an FM Modulator. Found a couple on ebay. Anyone have any suggestions on which one to get.
    By the way, is there anyway to change your user id, I sold the wrangler????
    Thanks

Links to ebay auctions.
    Here
    Here

In my opinion, FM modulators are *****...I had one (the XO vision) as pictured in the second ebay auction, and sold it about two days after trying it. First of all MP3 are cut back from CD quality in the first place, and then to diminish the quality even further was just to painful. Then it also cut down the reception of the other sations. NOT WORTH IT!
    BossTone74

Comment

I tried an FM modulator as well.
      They just plain suck.
      Nothing like Aux in.
      Don't waste the 50$ on one, when you can have a new cdplayer with aux in for 100$
      Clarion 200watt head unit w/ Aux in.
      Kicker 800watt 4 channel amp
      In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Comment

Hi mp3wrangler, my current mp3 project is also a '99 Silverado. Maybe we can compare notes.

BTW, I'm in Florida now, but used to live in Zanesville. Know those roads well!

Dex

Comment

After reading the replies, I did some searching at work today and think I found the perfect solution.

An AAI-GM9.....

It is a device that plugs inbetween the factory headunit and the factory aux(cd/tape) and allows you to switch between factory aux and "2" other inputs!!!! I ordered one so I will post when it gets here. Links below.

Bought it here

Looks like from these instructions that we could use a 12v line from the pc to automatically trigger the switch!!!
          Instructions

Another link

Dex, What ya think for the silverados!!!!!

Comment

Very nice mp3wrangler. Ive been looking around for something similar to this as well. I have a 96 pontiac so Im assuming this would work for me as well. Only thing I dont like is the switching mechanism but I guess theres no other real way. Ill probably pick one up soon enough as well.
            The Grand aMP3 Project
            Car: 96 Pontiac Grand Am
            Current Setup: AMD K62 300MHz, 64MB DIMM RAM, 20GB WD Hard Drive, Basic Video & Sound

Comment

Well, any one have a suggestion on any halfway decent modulators? I know you all say they suck but I MUST keep the stock system in my car. No adapters are out there that will work with a '97 Toyota head unit (even more reason I hate my dad for buying a '97 avalon over an '98 one). My tape player makes an extremely annoying clicking sound so that's also out.
              Comp. Specs:Shuttle SS40G, Athlon XP 1700+, 256MB DDR, 40GB HD, Belkin Desktop 802.11b card (good range), SB 128 sound (onboard is a bit noisy), DVD ROM
              Toshiba 100CS laptop, P75 40mb ram, 550MB HD, Megahertz LAN/modem PC card, modified to run off 12VDC
              Other stuff:Generic USB hub & USB to serial adapters, BS2SX power control system w/battery buffer, Jazz 300W Inverter, FM Modulator, Palm Vx, & GPS

Comment

Hmmmm.....save, and buy a new head unit with and aux. in, I have learned not to rush the project....save, buy, and do it up right!
                BossTone74

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=12146

I found this product a lil while back. Its $99 so I would hope if you were dropping that kind of cash you wouldnt have to worry about quality. Also its USB connection so you dont need a sound card at all.
                  The Grand aMP3 Project
                  Car: 96 Pontiac Grand Am
                  Current Setup: AMD K62 300MHz, 64MB DIMM RAM, 20GB WD Hard Drive, Basic Video & Sound

Comment

I remember some of the older FM Modulators actually plugged in-between the radio and antenna.

Although it's still works through FM, you may get better results since it doesn't have to transmit.

I remember Kenwood having such a thing a few years ago.

If I find anything, I will re-post.

Otherwise, look through kenwoodusa.com for older models and look on ebay to find one...

-Mario

Comment

I just took my Farenheit FM stereo modulator (EFM-01) out to my car to test it out. It sounds a lot better then the tape adapter but not quite as good as my CD player (though close). My only complaint is that there is a slight hiss in the audio. I suspect this is just from my MP3 CD player though because I had the same noise on the tape adapter. I bought it for $25 (I think) online.

Note: This it the type that go between the antenna and the radio. Look for them under mobile video in most online shops. Also if you donít get one that has PLL or digitally set it will probably drift around.
                      Comp. Specs:Shuttle SS40G, Athlon XP 1700+, 256MB DDR, 40GB HD, Belkin Desktop 802.11b card (good range), SB 128 sound (onboard is a bit noisy), DVD ROM
                      Toshiba 100CS laptop, P75 40mb ram, 550MB HD, Megahertz LAN/modem PC card, modified to run off 12VDC
                      Other stuff:Generic USB hub & USB to serial adapters, BS2SX power control system w/battery buffer, Jazz 300W Inverter, FM Modulator, Palm Vx, & GPS

Status: 80% complete (Almost done with the controle boxes)

Comment

I found a couple that go between the antenna and the radio.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=4695&DID=7

and

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WoOBAzM...asp?i=110KVFM1
                        2008 Grand Prix GXP
                        • Winbook TW801 8" Windows 8.1 Tablet
                        • RF 3Sixty.3
                        • 4ch Alpine on factory bi-amped Monsoon speakers
                        • Directed HD-Radio
                        • I need to post a built log

Comment

Just got the AAI-GM9 from better source. Will try to to a quck install this weekend and let everyone know how it works out. Now to figure out how to get the dash off the truck without breaking something.......

Comment

FM Modulators just plain suck. I've only been running mine for a week now, but let me tell you... After 5 minutes of listening to it and 7 days of trying to get it to sound better, I'm looking for a different solution.

Comment

Well my MP3 player has a new home in the Silverado. Took a few hours today and did the install on the AAI-GM9 device and I must say that it is GREAT!!! I have always had a little noise in the jeep and didn't mind because of the road noise in a rag top but the truck was going to be a different story. This device says it has engine noise filters built in but it has taken care of all my noise, no hum no wine nothing but music!!!! I took some pictures of the install if anyone (DEX) is interested....

Here is the link to the install pics.

Install Pics

Now to find a place to mount the VFD.....

Comment

Working...
                              X