Aux power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aux power

I don't know if there is such a thing produced, so I thought I would ask.

I want to run a large gauge wire from my batter to my trunk to power my carputer. However, doing it this way, if for some reason my pc didn't shut down, it would drain my battery. I was hoping that there is some type of module that you could connect this power line to. Then have another line from the ignition or aux power wire. When power is supplied to this wire, the module would open a switch and let the power flow from the battery wire to the pc.

Is there anything out like this?
    I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet .

You're going to get seriously flamed for this one.

All the automotive power supplies --M2-atx, M3, M4, Opus, the laptop supplies-- all work like that. Look under the power supply section.
    My opinion is my own.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my setup is built around a laptop. I have one cig lighter plug in my car. I removed the center console and ran a wire from the plug to my trunk. It does power my pc, lcd, usb hub, and auto power module. However, its messy, and Im concerned that it is too much of a load for that one plug.

I already have an auto power on module for the laptop from W3BMA5T3R. I use the auto shut down software that he recomends. However, that wont work unless the software recognizes that the laptop is switched to battery.
      I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet .

Comment

The M2's, M3's, etc. Work off the ignition and turn on and off. that would do what you are asking. Do you have a way to get it from 12v up to 18-19? If not, you can probably use an inverter with the M2.
        My opinion is my own.

Comment

I use a car power plug to power my lappy. That bumps it up to 19v for the laptop.

Comment

Here is how you would do it with an M2. Not sure on the other ones. Is there not a discussion on power supplies in the laptop threads? I know enough people are using them.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...er-supply.html

Why do you even need it? If you hook the inverter up to the ignition, then have the laptop turn off after say 5 minutes on battery (or less), wouldn't the laptop turn off when the ignition is turned off? Isn't that what the power switch you already have does? Just sounds like more spending than is needed. I have 150W inverter I use for an XPS M170 and it works fine off the ignition (cigarette lighter). That inspiron you are using will be less power than an XPS.
            My opinion is my own.

Comment

I guess your right, I shouldn't be drawing too much power. I don't even use a dc/ac inverter. The module works great. Starts it right up. The software works good too. My only concern was it the software got hung up, and if I was drawing directly from the car battery, I'd be walkin 23 miles to get home. I actualy haven't even installed my inspiron yet. I have been running an hp omnibook 800mhz. I was worried about the extra power draw with the inspiron. But if you haven't had any probs running of the one ignition wire, I just wont worry about it unless I actualy have one. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by rizaydog View Post
                I guess your right, I shouldn't be drawing too much power. I don't even use a dc/ac inverter. The module works great. Starts it right up. The software works good too. My only concern was it the software got hung up, and if I was drawing directly from the car battery, I'd be walkin 23 miles to get home. I actualy haven't even installed my inspiron yet. I have been running an hp omnibook 800mhz. I was worried about the extra power draw with the inspiron. But if you haven't had any probs running of the one ignition wire, I just wont worry about it unless I actualy have one. Thanks.
                My computer has locked a few times and when that happens, I found that the M2 doesn't turn off and runs the battery down anyway. So you're probably sol there. But what I do have is this little yellow jump box I carry in the spare tire compartment of my car. The battery can be completely dead....I mean not even a light showing, and this box will jump my car (350Z). I'll try to get the info off of it when I get home. It really is a must have for this hobby. lol
                My opinion is my own.

Comment

Here is something similar. Mine is pretty small and just fits on top of the spare tire. Really is a lifesaver. Would never believe something so small could start a completely dead battery.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jump-...mZ190220758858

Good part about a laptop, though, is if you are hooked to the ignition, you can't run the battery on your car down. It will drain it's internal battery and then just shut down, then when you start back up, it will go through a full boot sequence. Think running a battery wire to it is just asking for trouble.
                  My opinion is my own.

Comment

Working...
                  X