Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm back for a better setup help please !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back for a better setup help please !

Ok so , i'm back guys. I still have my honda accord 1992 and because of www.cb7tuner.com , i now know its potential so i took off my old ghetto 0$ car pc and i now want to do a good setup that will lenght a long long time and that wont cost too much.

1. The screen : New Upgraded Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen 619GL-70NP http://store.mp3car.com/Lilliput_7_V..._p/mon-001.htm 252.99 $ . Is this screen good, will it lenght. ?

2. The computer: I'll do a custum plastiglass box with leds and everything, i will buy a pentium 4 , used for about 100$ Will the desktop hard drive be ok in the car ?

3. Power: What do i need to power the desktop computer ? I'd like the computer to work when the car is off and not to shut down when i start the car ... What do i need , whats the price ?

4. Accesories : wires for the screen and usb wires about 10 or 15 feets long . Planed to spend around 50$ on this on http://www.acceselectronique.ca/.

So this is my setup about 400$ for everything except the source of power. Please help me by answerring my questions , thank you , Sam .

1. its a nice screen, nothing i could think of thats wrong with it, except for the auto switch feature is difficult to enable (unless u need it, its not important)
    2. Depends where you live, if its cold a desktop hard drive will work much better than a laptop hard drive. Otherwise laptop hard drive.
    3. power you'll need m2atx, DSATX, or m4atx.
    4. OK

Comment

You will need a $200+ PSU for your crappy CPU choice. Rethink that in terms of power draw.
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
        You will need a $200+ PSU for your crappy CPU choice. Rethink that in terms of power draw.
        ????

Comment

Originally posted by Punky View Post
          1. its a nice screen, nothing i could think of thats wrong with it, except for the auto switch feature is difficult to enable (unless u need it, its not important)
          2. Depends where you live, if its cold a desktop hard drive will work much better than a laptop hard drive. Otherwise laptop hard drive.
          3. power you'll need m2atx, DSATX, or m4atx.
          4. OK
          Ok thank you, i live in quebec so its cold witer and about 27 degree summer ... But my question was more about the shock of the road ....

Comment

Shock isnt too much an issue for most modern drives. Being in Canada, I would be more worried about the cold winter. Chances are, a normal hard drive isnt going to make it through the Canadian winters very well. I would look at getting a solid state or automotive grade drive. If you are interested, I have a 20gb automotive grade ee25 that I can ship to Quebec for $60.

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
              Originally posted by sam41_17 View Post
              ????
              Your selection of a P4 means a high power draw. That means you need a more powerful (and subsequently more expensive) power supply.
              That also doesn't account for potential heat issues that need to be overcome, as well as the additional noise created when cooling a high-power piece of electronics.

So you save a few bucks on the CPU, but you spend more overcoming other issues.
              You are better off spending a few more dollars on a CPU that draws less power, and you'll be able to save money and headaches in other areas.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by nobb View Post
                Shock isnt too much an issue for most modern drives. Being in Canada, I would be more worried about the cold winter. Chances are, a normal hard drive isnt going to make it through the Canadian winters very well. I would look at getting a solid state or automotive grade drive. If you are interested, I have a 20gb automotive grade ee25 that I can ship to Quebec for $60.
                Well i'll try with an old hard drive 13 gb i have at home , it wont cost anything , i'll see then ....

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                  Your selection of a P4 means a high power draw. That means you need a more powerful (and subsequently more expensive) power supply.
                  That also doesn't account for potential heat issues that need to be overcome, as well as the additional noise created when cooling a high-power piece of electronics.

So you save a few bucks on the CPU, but you spend more overcoming other issues.
                  You are better off spending a few more dollars on a CPU that draws less power, and you'll be able to save money and headaches in other areas.
                  Ok so according to you a pentium 3 would be better ? Btw i have a eliminator car power inverter at home would it work to power a desktop pc ?

Comment

Originally posted by sam41_17 View Post
                    Ok so according to you a pentium 3 would be better ? Btw i have a eliminator car power inverter at home would it work to power a desktop pc ?
                    Did I ever say that?

I think it's time for someone to read the FAQs, specifically the ones about choosing a power supply.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advfaq.php
                    How about the Wiki?

Comment

For $100, rather than getting a P4, you can get a low power consumption Via or Jetway mini-itx motherboard that should be more than enough for a carpc. Although the M2 is rated for 160W, I wouldnt trust it with more than 80W. The inverter isnt going to be able to survive crank, unless you do some modifications (tank circuit).

Comment

I'd pay more to have the P4 over using low power chip. If you place the computer in the trunk like me then you really don't have head issues of course you'll need at least 2 fan. Noise isn't really a problem either. Portabilty isn't as great though. Unless you're going to pay for a nice mini itx dual core setup you won't get the performance of p4 with portabilty (other than the atom dualcore). Its all in your preference.

Comment

Punky -
                          I think you're not understanding what we mean by "low-power". We mean low power draw, not lower computing power.

You can get CPUs that have a low power draw but provide a high level of computing horsepower.

The power that the system uses (maybe "current draw is a better phrase?) that determines your PSU needs.
                          Using a CPU that draws a lot of current will necessitate a PSU capable of powering that CPU. That could get more expensive, negating the cost savings of the P4 CPU.
                          How about the Wiki?

Comment

I'd take a look at the D201GLY2A, D945GCLF or D945GCLF2 motherboards and see if that's adequate for you. For everyday carpc stuff, they provide good CPU performance and low power consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by Punky View Post
                              I'd pay more to have the P4 over using low power chip. If you place the computer in the trunk like me then you really don't have head issues of course you'll need at least 2 fan. Noise isn't really a problem either. Portabilty isn't as great though. Unless you're going to pay for a nice mini itx dual core setup you won't get the performance of p4 with portabilty (other than the atom dualcore). Its all in your preference.
                              Well, my plan was to build a box with at least 3 or 4 fans and put it un the trunk , so no sound and like u said less heat ,,,,

Comment

Working...
                              X