Connecting wires to switch, dumb electrical question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting wires to switch, dumb electrical question

The two terminals on my switch look like this How do I connect wires to them? Solder? or are there connectors i can buy?

Also, how many amps is a car battery?
    Silver 1999 Nissan Pathfinder!
    Completion: [*********-] 90%
    Everything working! Mobile MP3s ROCK!
    LEFT TO DO: Improve power on circuit, fix slow boot time

- 550mhz PIII on Abit BH6
    - 128MB RAM
    - 40x4 Backlit Character LCD
    - 17 key numeric keypad - Repainted buttons
    - 2.1GB laptop drive for OS
    - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/bombboyer/ Redesigned, new pics!

go to any automotive store and they will have 1/4" crimp on connectors like this in a kit with some pliers and other connectors, get one of those(around 12 USD) and youll have all you need. Just strip the wire a bit 1/4" or so, slide it into the approprate sized connector and crimp it with the pliers.
    A car battery CAN supply 200+amps of power when short circuted. However your alternator on your car cannot! just for a refrence an 300W inverter will pull ~30 amps at full draw and your ALT should be able to handel this without much dificulty.
    Justin Stiltner
    Truck :1993 Ford Ranger Splash 4.0L
    System : Pioneer HU and Factory replacement speakers
    Puter :Pentium OCed to 133Mhz and win 95 with a whistler power inverter and crystalfontz 20x4 lcd(soon to be motorized) and winamp
    Comms Gear: Cobra 25WXST, K40 whip, Silver Streak 175, Radioshack Hyperscan Pro-2045
    95 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS: FOR SALE!!! $4000
    95 Egeal Talon Tsi AWD: Project car boostin 15 psi.

Comment

Will radioshack have it?

- 128MB RAM
      - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

Comment

Use a tool like this :Wire-Crimping Tool Set

Comment

Yes they should have one of the kits, the reason I said an automotive store is usually they are cheaper there and of equal quality.
          Justin Stiltner
          Puter :Pentium OCed to 133Mhz and win 95 with a whistler power inverter and crystalfontz 20x4 lcd(soon to be motorized) and winamp
          Comms Gear: Cobra 25WXST, K40 whip, Silver Streak 175, Radioshack Hyperscan Pro-2045

Comment

Do I really need this whole kit? Im just going to be doing this one switch.

- 128MB RAM
            - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

Comment

well...
              probally not,
              if its just 2 connectors.. you could crimp it with normal pliers, but I wouldent trust the crimp. The kit will also give you a wire stripper, crimper, and small bolt cutter as well as lots of other connectors that you will use if you ever do any electrical on your car.
              Justin Stiltner

Comment

So what connectors do i need if I dont get the kit?

I have this switch BTW. Think it's enough to switch the power to my 300w inverter?

- 128MB RAM
                - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

Comment

if you're still confused as to what you need, here's a link on radioshack's site

quick disconnects

at least I think this is what ure seaching for.
                  The Grand aMP3 Project
                  Car: 96 Pontiac Grand Am
                  Current Setup: AMD K62 300MHz, 64MB DIMM RAM, 20GB WD Hard Drive, Basic Video & Sound

Comment

If you don't draw more than 250w from the inverter that switch will be fine. You could use a relay if you need a higher current, but that's just making things more complicated.

Best regards,
                    Matthew

Comment

That switch handles 12amps max continuous according to what they say.

He didn't say what it would be used for, so that is probable the first question to ask.

If it is an inverter or other high power device he is powering, a relay may not be a bad idea since he can run the battery power directly to the source(inverter¿) without making a detour to the switch.

At that point, he could use any switch. Smaller or otherwise without fear.

In any case, be sure to fuse the power connection as close to the battery as possible...

Just my thoughts...

-Mario

Comment

If it is an inverter or other high power device he is powering, a relay may not be a bad idea since he can run the battery power directly to the source(inverter¿) without making a detour to the switch.
                        Can you elaborate on what I would need to do to accomplish this? I will be installing 4 AWG from the battery to the trunk where the inverter and amp are going...i would like to be able to turn the inverter on and off from the front of the car...or have it wired to the ignition.

Thanks!
                        DigitalDub
                        1200 mhz duron/ 384m pc133/ 6.4 gig for OS / 75 gig storage/ 32 meg Nvidia Geforce2 wit TV out / onboard sound / GPRS / 7" digitallww flip out / X10 Mouseremote / 255w inverter (temp)

Audio
                        Nakamichi CD-45Z HU / Monsoon amp and 8 speakers

Comment

Okay, wasn't aware you would have a run to the back with an amp too.

I'll assume you'll be fused at the battery with some sort of power distribution block in the back.

Do you know what the fuse/circuit breaker is rated for on the inverter?

Is there a switch of some ort on the inverter now?

-Mario

Comment

not sure what the fuse is rated at in the inverter...i can look here in a bit to see.

There is a power switch on the inverter.
                            DigitalDub
                            1200 mhz duron/ 384m pc133/ 6.4 gig for OS / 75 gig storage/ 32 meg Nvidia Geforce2 wit TV out / onboard sound / GPRS / 7" digitallww flip out / X10 Mouseremote / 255w inverter (temp)

Audio
                            Nakamichi CD-45Z HU / Monsoon amp and 8 speakers

Comment

There is a simple formula to determine current, wattage or amperage when the other two are known. the formula is P=IE (power in watts equals current in amps time voltage) For example, a switch rated at 25 amps at 12 VDC would be good for 300 watts.

I strongly recommend the use of relays for heavy duty switching needs. This is how I have my Epia system wired so that it will only boot when the radio is on. I used the 12V amplifier trigger wire, which is only rated at about 1a. I connected one end of the coil to the trigger wire from the head unit, and the other end to ground. The other two terminals are wired inline from my amplifier ditribution block to the positive input on my PC. Whenever the radio is on, current flows through the coil, creating a magnetic field which causes the heavy duty metal contacts to close, allowing power to flow the input terminal on the PC. I used a standard Bosch type SPST relay (there is also a SPDT which is identical except for an additional terminal labeled 87a) that I had left over from some old alarm installations.
                              KG6OQD
                              www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

Working...
                              X