iMon Ultrabay no more?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iMon Ultrabay no more?

Well, it looks like the iMon Ultrabay is out, but...

The Antec Multimedia Station Premier is in. Not sure if soundgraph sold it or just going under a different name, but the new version looks SWEET! Probably going to have to switch over. Looks like they changed the annoying bright blue background. Plus it's $50 cheaper than the ultrabay (only place I can still find it is amazon.com).

Here is the new one.

http://www.antec.com/usa/productDeta...n=us&id=30126#

Seems they also have the newer version of what could be made into a single din version.

http://www.antec.com/usa/productDeta...n=us&id=30125#

Like what they did with the knobs.
    Attached Files
    My opinion is my own.

Just bought one ($85 on e-pay). I'll write it up and get some pics when I get it.
    My opinion is my own.

Comment

I really like your original setup, too bad I can't find room for the double din iMon Ultrabay on my car.

When you get the new item, please take some pictures of it from behind and top view so we can get an idea of the dimensions.

Comment

Picture added.

I got the Antec in and there are just subtle differences between the Antec and the iMon. Now first off, it is just an iMon Ultrabay with minor changes (it even says "powered by iMon" on the box). While these are minor differences, the effect isn't.

First off, the iMon uses blue LED's and a blue display, so if you look at my install pics of the iMon http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...2004-350z.html , you can see the color is really dark blue and difficult to read. The Antec Veris uses white LED's with a blue display. This makes it lighter and much easier to read. Even the Mute light is white (iMon is red). This would be personal preference, but I much prefer the Veris version on display.

Second difference is the knobs. In the picture above, you can see the silver edge with the brushed look. This really is a big difference!

Third, the only logo is the small "Veris" in the upper left corner rather than "iMon Ultrabay" across the middle. One would think it was made by Centrafu....... never mind.

Now for the bad stuff if you are already an iMon user.

The iMon driver doesn't work for this version, meaning it has to completely erase the iMedian software and then reloads it. This means you lose all previous programing. Oh joy.

The mirror face (just a film taped to the back of the face) is EASILY scratched just by wiping it. Doubt it is going to last very long.

The face is a mirror, so I can't use a flash. In the picture, the letters are scrolling, so that is why it looks like double exposed. Showing off the color mainly.
        Attached Files
        My opinion is my own.

Comment

That looks pretty cool.
          Are the symbols on the rewind/stop/pause/ff/etc buttons all backlit?
          What about the text above the top row of buttons?
          The "go" button?
          Any lighting on or behind the knobs?
          Any chance you could take a picture of it in the dark with the backlighting on?

Also, is the radio software shown above it part of iMedian?

Thanks!

Comment

I just checked (I was curious myself) and there is an led behind each button and there is white light around the buttons, but the play/stop/etc symbols are not backlit. Since it's made for a desktop, I pretty much expected that. Still looks nice though.

The radio software is StreetDeck using the HD Radio digital mod (released yesterday), hardware monitor (temp/fanspeed) mod, and the carwings skin.
            My opinion is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by danielkh View Post

First off, the iMon uses blue LED's and a blue display, so if you look at my install pics of the iMon http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...2004-350z.html , you can see the color is really dark blue and difficult to read..

Imon moved to using white leds on the imon version, made it too bright, and not many like it.

also seems to be too lcd's, as it appears some update at about 5hz on the scrolling, and some (like mine) about 1hz.

also my display is now showing signs of failure, going blank for hours at a time then it all reboots and starts to show things again.

the imedian HD software to organize you music etc wont play HD files, it has a tv feature bu no tv card drivers and wont embed other 3rd party software so its about as useful as the email chcker, which wont work with any pop3 server that uses ssl, no google etc

check out the soundgraph forums.
              Lez, more widely known as flez1966

Comment

Originally posted by lez View Post
                also my display is now showing signs of failure, going blank for hours at a time then it all reboots and starts to show things again.
                My iMon did that A LOT. Would go days without a display, but then would come back no problem. Found that if you disconnect the plug inside and reseat it, it comes back, but that is a serious pain.

With the Antec, I have not had any problems at all. I know they are both made by soundgraph, so wondering if it's more "luck of the draw" kind of thing. Some work, some don't.
                My opinion is my own.

Comment

i was having a thought, most on glass lcd controllers are 3.6v, for mobile phone use, i wonder if these are but are running at 5v, hence the symptom of overheating and needing to reset/cool down.

maybe if i drop the voltage to the unit to say 4v, it will still work without upsetting the usb data but allow cooler running, long shot etc, but worth a few diodes to test.

Comment

i was having a thought, most on glass lcd controllers are 3.6v, for mobile phone use, i wonder if these are but are running at 5v, hence the symptom of overheating and needing to reset/cool down.

maybe if i drop the voltage to the unit to say 4v, it will still work without upsetting the usb data but allow cooler running, long shot etc, but worth a few diodes to test.
                    I don't think it is a heat or even an electrical issue. On mine, anyway, I think it was a data sync issue. The scrolling was missing, but the line over and under were still there as well as the speaker configuration (upper right). Not sure why unplugging and plugging back in would fix it since the data was going usb and the plug was strictly voltage. Can't say for sure it isn't voltage though.
                    My opinion is my own.

Comment

i lose the lot, not a single bit on the lcd, then after a while, it all comes on, everything avi/mpg/dolby you name it etc, and its immediatly scrolling txt while like this, after about .5 of a second, its normal scrolling with only the needed indicators on.

while its lcd is off, buttons work etc, but the way its built is usb->pic->lcd controller, with the pic working the buttons, so looks like its just the lcd conntroller that drops out

Comment

i lose the lot, not a single bit on the lcd, then after a while, it all comes on, everything avi/mpg/dolby you name it etc, and its immediatly scrolling txt while like this, after about .5 of a second, its normal scrolling with only the needed indicators on.

while its lcd is off, buttons work etc, but the way its built is usb->pic->lcd controller, with the pic working the buttons, so looks like its just the lcd conntroller that drops out
                        Well, all I can say is the antec hasn't given me a single problem since I installed it. Unfortunately, I can't say it is the brand that fixed it or just pure luck. lol

If I ever get called back to Ireland, I can bring you my old iMon you can test on.
                        My opinion is my own.

Comment

Most annoying thing is i bought it to make the htpc easier to use for all the family, the software looked good and made wonderful claims, 'navigate your entire collection with one button' like yeah that works.....

no one has used it to this day, kids can use a mouse and wife listens to the radio, could have just bought a dvr come set top box and had done wth it, in fact that may be how it goes, then the htpc will become my new desktop......

Comment

Most annoying thing is i bought it to make the htpc easier to use for all the family, the software looked good and made wonderful claims, 'navigate your entire collection with one button' like yeah that works.....

no one has used it to this day, kids can use a mouse and wife listens to the radio, could have just bought a dvr come set top box and had done wth it, in fact that may be how it goes, then the htpc will become my new desktop......
                            Ah, HTPC......not a carputer. Now I'm caught up. For an HTPC, I haven't found anything better than just using the Microsoft Media Center with a usb reciever and Harmony 880 remote. I like the computer better than a DVR because of the terabyte of cheap harddrives in it and I can surf the web on the bigscreen. Plus the VGA/DVI outputs for slingbox/TV make life easier.

I've never used the HTPC iMon software, but it doesn't look very good. Only reason I love the iMon/antec is the controls in a car (and the programmable software).
                            My opinion is my own.

Comment

yes i must try mce on it instead of xp. i have the ms keyboard/remote etc

I love the iMon/antec is the controls in a car (and the programmable software).
                              which software?

Comment

Working...
                              X