No announcement yet.

Problems with Back to the Future DVD...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Back to the Future DVD...

Here's my setup:

EPIA-M 9000 MB
    Pioneer 16x slot load DVD
    IBM Travelstar 40Gb HD
    7" wide screen
    256 Mb RAM
    Casetronics external DC - DC PSU
    blah blah blah.

OK, ALL of my other DVDs work fine but when I put any of the Back to the Future DVDs in the drive, it spins up, the computer locks up, the screen goes black, and then the DVD will constantly spin up then slow down then speed up and slow down.

Anyone else run into this?

I was really wanting these to work...
    Aura MR62 (F and R)
    My Current MP3s
    IamDefiler.com

there is an error with the back to the future dvd... check out slashdot... not sure if that could be the problem
    Car: 1999 Dark Green Mustang GT Coupe
    Audio: Alpine HU, JL 6ch Amp, JL Stealthbox and XR series components.
    Player: Empeg for now; something custom later.
    www.neotechpc.com - Custom built laptops!

Comment

Re: Problems with Back to the Future DVD...

Originally posted by Defiler
      Here's my setup:

EPIA-M 9000 MB
      Pioneer 16x slot load DVD
      IBM Travelstar 40Gb HD
      7" wide screen
      256 Mb RAM
      Casetronics external DC - DC PSU
      blah blah blah.

I just ordered that board and case. Is that external PSU able to power the standard size dvd drive and hard drive at once?

Comment

Re: Re: Problems with Back to the Future DVD...

Originally posted by Spongebob
        I just ordered that board and case. Is that external PSU able to power the standard size dvd drive and hard drive at once?
        PLEASE SEARCH BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS...

Read this thread for more than you wanted to know about the casetronics DC-DC PSU

I've had no issues with mine except with the BTTF DVDs.

NOTE: I have a laptop HD so the power is less for it than a desktop HD.
        Aura MR62 (F and R)
        My Current MP3s
        IamDefiler.com

Comment

Originally posted by smashr2k
          there is an error with the back to the future dvd... check out slashdot... not sure if that could be the problem
          I did read that and it is close but not quite the problem I have...
          Aura MR62 (F and R)
          My Current MP3s
          IamDefiler.com

Comment

make sure you havnt install pc friendly off the dvd, sometimes that may be installed when first inserting the DVD.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Have a link to the slashdot story? I couldn't find it the other day
              KG6OQD
              www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

Ok. I figured out what the problem was...

The time I tried to play the BTTF DVD it was at the end of a long road trip and I just wanted to see what it looked like on the screen in the car. So, the result was the carputer craping out. I thought "F" it I'll figure it out in the morning. The next morning I tried about 4 different DVDs, other than the BTTF one, and they all worked. So, I went to work, I had to drive an hour to Orlando, and when I pulled in the parking lot I tried the BTTF DVD and the carputer crapped out again. That's when I thought it was the DVD.

Anyway, the next day I came out and tried the BTTF DVD agian and it worked!!???

After I got to work that day I decided to see how hot the southbridge chip was on the motherboard after listening to MP3s the whole way. They are known for getting hot and I even added a small passive heatsink to it. The little F'er burned my finger. Imidiately I tried a different DVD and the carputer crapped out.

The problem is I have more heat being generated than normal because the motherboard is inclosed in my armrest. I'm gonna have to cut a small hole and mount a little fan blowing on the heatsink and then cut some slits in the top of the case to let the heat out. I'm sure this will fix the problem.

Man I need to find a digital camera and take pictures...
                Aura MR62 (F and R)
                My Current MP3s
                IamDefiler.com

Comment

The problem is I have more heat being generated than normal because the motherboard is inclosed in my armrest. I'm gonna have to cut a small hole and mount a little fan blowing on the heatsink and then cut some slits in the top of the case to let the heat out. I'm sure this will fix the problem.
                  You don't have any fans or vent holes for your computer? You should get as many fans and vent holes as possible. Most computers are designed for home use. The room temp is most likely around 25-30 C. As is, most computers already come with 1 intake fan in the front and 1 exhaust fan in the CPU. When a nut case like us put a computer in a car where the interior temp can get as high as 60 C in the summer, things will burn. I have 4 fans for my case just in case. I also wired it up so that the fan will turn on 5-10 seconds before the computer actually turns on.
                  NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
                  If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by cproaudio
                    You don't have any fans or vent holes for your computer? You should get as many fans and vent holes as possible. Most computers are designed for home use. The room temp is most likely around 25-30 C. As is, most computers already come with 1 intake fan in the front and 1 exhaust fan in the CPU. When a nut case like us put a computer in a car where the interior temp can get as high as 60 C in the summer, things will burn. I have 4 fans for my case just in case. I also wired it up so that the fan will turn on 5-10 seconds before the computer actually turns on.
                    Fist of all, I have one fan for the CPU with a copper HS. Second, I'm still working on getting rid of all the bugs in the system.

The reasons I don't have 4 fans in my system are: 1. It's in the armrest. If I had four fans, of any size going, it would be too anoying. 2. I'm using a C3 933Mhz processor. These things can survive the heat from a nuclear blast with a passive heatsink. (ok maybe not that much heat ) They don't generate a lot of heat. YOU may NEED four fans to keep your carputer cool, I don't. Personally I think four fans is overkill. But it's prolly in the trunk as well. So, the noise may not be audible from where you sit. 3. I have tinted windows and auto start for my car which I use all the time in the summer so I don't really need to worry about that kind of heat before turning on the carputer.

All I need to do is add a small fan to the heatsink on the Southbridge and a few vent holes in the top of the case and it will be fine...I hope. LOL...

Please don't take this as a flame as it is not intended that way. I just don't feel I need to add a lot of noisy fans when I just need to apply a little creative cooling.
                    Aura MR62 (F and R)
                    My Current MP3s
                    IamDefiler.com

Comment

Fist of all, I have one fan for the CPU with a copper HS. Second, I'm still working on getting rid of all the bugs in the system.

The reasons I don't have 4 fans in my system are: 1. It's in the armrest. If I had four fans, of any size going, it would be too anoying. 2. I'm using a C3 933Mhz processor. These things can survive the heat from a nuclear blast with a passive heatsink. (ok maybe not that much heat ) They don't generate a lot of heat. YOU may NEED four fans to keep your carputer cool, I don't. Personally I think four fans is overkill. But it's prolly in the trunk as well. So, the noise may not be audible from where you sit. 3. I have tinted windows and auto start for my car which I use all the time in the summer so I don't really need to worry about that kind of heat before turning on the carputer.

All I need to do is add a small fan to the heatsink on the Southbridge and a few vent holes in the top of the case and it will be fine...I hope. LOL...

Please don't take this as a flame as it is not intended that way. I just don't feel I need to add a lot of noisy fans when I just need to apply a little creative cooling.
                      First of all, I'm not talking about CPU fan. I'm talking about case fan.
                      1, I agree my 2 high output fans for the CPU and the motherboard are kind of loud. I cover them up with a towel to quite them down and also act as a filter. 2, Granted its a C3 processor but what about the rest of the board? Everything generates heat. I'm just suggesting add some fans to cool them down. And No, I don't NEED 4 fans for my system. I only put 4 fans to make my case look asymmetric. I could get by with only CPU fan and PSU fan and get rid of the chipset/motherboard fan and the HDD fan. 3, I too also have tinted windows and remote start and those heat reducing sun shade. But still, During the summer where I live, the heat inside the car can cook an egg. Believe me I know what you're going through. A pair of small 2" low profile fan will do just fine cooling the chipset and mobo. I'm not taking this as a flame. In fact I thought it was funny.
                      NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
                      If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Working...
                      X