Last leg!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last leg!

I am on the last leg of my project finally! I have come to a brick wall though! I purchased the Mpegbox from zootjeff and am ready to get it installed, but I have a question on installation first! Will my computer (celeron 400, one 7200rpm 30gig HD, 1 usb fm modulator) be too much power to be wired directly into my fusebox? Or will I need to go directly to the battery and punch through the firewall? I am not 100% sure if this information is accurate but a friend at work told me the fusebox can handle anything below 30amps. I am not sure of how many amps my computer will require (going to TRY and research that right now) but please point me in the right direction! Thanks A bunch in advance!

Viva La mp3car.com!

Your computer will definitely not require 30 amps. Maybe 10 max. My only concern is that 7200 rpm hard drive, and whether the MPEGBOX will have enough current to spin it up. I know my sproggy did not have enough for my Western Digital 40GB 7200 rpm drive. It caused a sympton where the hard drive would try to spin up, and then it would go "clank" and sound like it was trying to restart spinning up again.

Comment

Ive got a 950mhz Duron, 256MB RAM, 20GB Hard Drive, 300 watt inverter, running out of my fuse box. I would think you would be fine. BTW, this is also on the same fuse as my cigarette lighter.
      The Grand aMP3 Project
      Car: 96 Pontiac Grand Am
      Current Setup: AMD K62 300MHz, 64MB DIMM RAM, 20GB WD Hard Drive, Basic Video & Sound

Comment

Originally posted by grandamp3
        BTW, this is also on the same fuse as my cigarette lighter.
        You're a brave man...

I'm surprised you haven't popped any fuses. But hey, don't argue with success. Right?
        Aura MR62 (F and R)
        My Current MP3s
        IamDefiler.com

Comment

Brave.... maybe just ignorant (but then again they usually go hand in hand).

I guess I dont see the problem with that. Im not an electrical/car genius but I had a couple people who know a lot more about it than me look at it and they didnt see anything wrong with it. Im using mini-blade fuse taps which clip onto the fuse and then give you an accessory line out. Radioshack has them here

If this seriously could result in a problem, let me know so that I can figure something else out. Ive been doing this for about 3 years now so I dont know what kind of problem it would be.
          The Grand aMP3 Project
          Car: 96 Pontiac Grand Am
          Current Setup: AMD K62 300MHz, 64MB DIMM RAM, 20GB WD Hard Drive, Basic Video & Sound

Comment

Working...
          X