Below 0C (32F) Hardware possibility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Below 0C (32F) Hardware possibility

Hi guys, I know I'm not the first one to post on this topic but I couldn't find any direct suggestion to my problem.

I live in Montreal and we are experiencing some -30C right now. I tried to warm up the car for about 30 min ( on the road) before trying to start but it coudnt find some files in windows....I guess some bearing from my 3.5'' HDD didnt like the cold.

My setup: I got my PC installed in the trunk and it can get very cold even when the car is started.

I know that the parts that will be aftected by cold temperature will be mecanical parts like HDD or Screen. What is the best option to help me boot my system under cold temps ??

1 - Get some money for a computer HDD (Seagate EE25)
    2 - Buy a 8Gb USB drive and manage to install xp on it with RR....

Wich of this options in your opinion is the best route???

Any suggestion will be welcome!!
    VmtSquad - I sold my soul to Honda!
    Final Install
    CarPC progress: 95%

I've been booting off a 4gb lexar 300x CF card for the past few months. This morning was the coldest it's been this winter (5F) and my carputer booted up no problem (though the LCD didn't turn on the first try, I had to unplug and plug it back in)

Comment

Until SSDs become better, I would normally say an automotive grade drive is the answer. However, right now tigerdirect.ca has a 64gb ocz ssd for sale, only about $130CAD and $2 shipping within Canada.

Comment

I just got a 8Gb kingston CF, I'll give this a try and I'll simply get a automotive Samsung if this is not working. Will keep you guys updated on the weather factor.
        VmtSquad - I sold my soul to Honda!
        Final Install
        CarPC progress: 95%

Comment

has anyone thought about a heater, not a house heater because that will cause a fire, but what about one of the heaters made for nitrous bottles? they look like a blanket and are designed to be in cars.

http://www.mpsracing.com/products/NOS/no01k.asp

of course i shouldn't even be posting here because in Florida it rarely ever goes below 30F
          Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

Personally... I would think that the SSD would be less trouble to work with than CF or USB. Automotive HDD haven't impressed me with their capacity and price...

Comment

I have in my carpc 2 SSD and I don't have boot problem under 0C but under 0C I have problem with LCD, sometimes I cant turn it on and back light only blink...

Comment

I'm in Calgary, when it hits -40 here my hard drive won't spin either. I'm thinking about getting one of those OCZ solid state drives, I only use about 20 gigs in my car anyway.
                Ampie Case
                2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by jmbickham View Post
                  Personally... I would think that the SSD would be less trouble to work with than CF or USB. Automotive HDD haven't impressed me with their capacity and price...
                  They are lower capacity, but they can handle a wider temperature range. You can load the main stuff on the automotive drive and other stuff on a non-hardened drive.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

What I am thinking of doing is having a Seagate EE25 with my front end, drivers, music, videos etc. Aswell as a 2GB usb stick with XP on it, front end, drivers but no music or videos.

What I wanna do is set the boot priority to the Seagate first, then the USB stick second. In theory what I want will be if the HD doesnt work then ti will boot from the usb and I'll have an identical setup minus the music and videos so i can at least use the cd rom / radio.

But after reading ur post it found the HD just nto some files so this might nto work either.

(I'm in Ottawa BTW so it gets cold here aswell)

EDIT:
                    Another option might be put windows, drivers on USB drive and have a BIG Hard drive with all ur music on it so at least u can boot in the cold (since its on the usb). and when it warms up u can use the music from the HD
                    New Project in the Works

Previous Worklog here

Comment

USB Keys are slow, why not just put it all on the EE25? Depending on the version of EE25 you get, it should be good down to -20C or -30C. I used to have the -20C version of the EE25 and it failed to boot at -40C. The problem seems to be that it just needed a few more seconds to spin up to speed before it can be detected by the BIOS. So if you can find a way to somehow delay the POST process for a few extra seconds, you should be good down to -40C.

Comment

I am having the same problem. When the temperature goes down to below -5C I get a boot error, which I assume is from the hdd not spinning up quick enough. After about 5 min if I restart it boots normally. Today I grabbed the heater out of a surveillance camera enclosure and am planning on putting it in on Sunday. These heaters are quite small and should fit into the case relatively easily. The heater is supposed to have temperature sensors to tell it to turn on & off. My plan is to wire it up so that it comes on when I use my remote starter to warm up the car for 5-10min prior to the carputer booting. I will let you guys know how it works out. Its supposed to get to -31C on Sunday night.

Comment

Originally posted by middle View Post
                          Today I grabbed the heater out of a surveillance camera enclosure and am planning on putting it in on Sunday. These heaters are quite small and should fit into the case relatively easily. The heater is supposed to have temperature sensors to tell it to turn on & off. My plan is to wire it up so that it comes on when I use my remote starter to warm up the car for 5-10min prior to the carputer booting. I will let you guys know how it works out. Its supposed to get to -31C on Sunday night.
                          This is a good idea. Post some pics of the heater and how it works.

There's a thread on this somewhere....Ah, here it is! Consider posting this solution in that thread.

Seems like for people without a remote start, you could put a thermocouple in the case and wire it to a relay. When you start the car, if it was cold, the relay would stay open, the heater would start, and when the thermocouple detected enough heat, the relay would close and the PC would boot.
                          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                          Want to:
                          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

or you wire one of this to the heater, this way you don't have to start the engine, just hit a button when you wake up and by the time you get into the car the pc will be warm.
                            http://www.xoxide.com/remote-12vdc-relay-kit.html
                            Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

Originally posted by middle View Post
                              Its supposed to get to -31C on Sunday night.
                              You must be close to me, that's the forecast for here.
                              Ampie Case
                              2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                              256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                              Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                              Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                              M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Working...
                              X