px10000g audio connector

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• px10000g audio connector

Has anybody managed to custom-make an audio hookup for the EPIA pico-itx px10000g board? The board I got didn't come with one and I've been unable to find one for sale anywhere. I've been attempting to break-out based on the manual from there website but for some reason I can't get it working.

So far I've only tried stereo but since it's a surround codec I might be missing something (sense, LFE/Center/surr, etc).

If anybody can at least point me in the right direction I would be very grateful, as this is really really REALLY starting to bug me.

Yes Im do it cca. 1 year ago on my old px board... You can see it on my thread(Fiat Stilo by _Dejan_)...

Comment

I've read through your post on that project before and never caught anything.

Just to be sure I read through it again and saw what you posted at the end. I'm gonna try changing it up in the software as well as using the mic input (although that seems a bit odd to me).

btw, I went through multiple ways of connecting to the jumpers and finally ended up going the same route using the IDE adapter

Comment

Just tried using line out, mic in, line in. changing through 2, 4, and 6 channel.... nothing.

I know i have some sort of connection, as I'm getting a buzz and some popping as the system boots up on a pair of "decent" speakers. I also get some feedback when I change the volume...

I'm thinking it's somewhat possible I shorted something along the way and fried the whole chip or it just came doa
        Oh well, guess I'll go USB...

Comment

I'm pretty sure the pico-itx boards use a 2.0mm pitch terminal connector. You can buy some from digi-key.com. I bought 25 of the plastic connectors )http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...&name=H2011-ND) and 25 of the crimp terminals. It'll work with some 28 AWG wire.
          You can also wirewrap the terminals and solder the wires straight to an audio connector. I bought a 3.5 mm audio jack connector and the breakout board from Sparkfun: (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=8032) You can probably get the connector cheaper through digi-key but I bought it through Sparkfun because of the breakout board. I knew 100% it would be compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by ratbagu View Post
            I'm pretty...be compatible.
            Oh, I may misread what you were trying to say.
            Just make sure you have the connectors up right.. what kind of sound are you getting out of it?

Comment

right now nothing but static along with some "popping" during bootup as everything initializes.

Comment

Can you post which PIN's do you use for IN, OUT, MIC? When Im have it(One year ago) Im connect it without problems and test MIC and OUT...
                PIN Pitch is same as have 2.5" HDD so smaller then normal ATX boards. Im make connector from 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter...
                If I remember you must use A_GND pin and not GND for ground...

Comment

I tried using both A_GND and GND.

from the manual, pin 1 = Line In R, 2 = A_GND
                  : : : : : : : : :

5 = Line Out R
                  6 = Mic R
                  7 = Line Out L
                  8 = Mic L

Comment

Originally posted by Pseich0 View Post
                    I tried using both A_GND and GND.

from the manual, pin 1 = Line In R, 2 = A_GND
                    : : : : : : : : :

5 = Line Out R
                    6 = Mic R
                    7 = Line Out L
                    8 = Mic L
                    I have a few questions then to help solve this problem:
                    1) Are you testing this on a workbench and not in your car?
                    2) What sound/music file are you using to test the sound?
                    3) How are they connected? (solder/wire-wrap/terminal connector)

Comment

Can you post detailed pictures of connectors?

Comment

1) workstation
                        2) built-in/default windows sounds. (the "HDAUdIO deck" EQ shows activity when using mediaplayer)
                        3) 2.5" - 3.5" ata drive adapter. pins removed and soldered directly to it. and soldered to 1/8" jack. wire is 28awg. continuity has been tested w/ a multimeter from end to end with no problems and no shorts.

I'll see if I can get some good shots for you when I wake up tomorrow.

Comment

1) workstation
                          2) built-in/default windows sounds. (the "HDAUdIO deck" EQ shows activity when using mediaplayer)
                          3) 2.5" - 3.5" ata drive adapter. pins removed and soldered directly to it. and soldered to 1/8" jack. wire is 28awg. continuity has been tested w/ a multimeter from end to end with no problems and no shorts.

I'll see if I can get some good shots for you when I wake up tomorrow.
                          1) Are you using headphones? I recommend cheap ones because they'll be powered directly from the motherboard
                          2) Try an mp3
                          3)Okay, I really need to see this connection. How are you doing this....?

Comment

It looks like the audio was in fact dead. I managed to find myself another board tonight and got it working right away. For the sake of those that might need this later, and those of you who tried helping me out thus far here's a pic of what did work.

1 (black) = Right channel line out (pin 5)
                            2 (red) = Left channel line out (pin 7)
                            3 (black) = A_GND (pin 2)

you can't see the connection to ground because i stripped it a bit long and it goes to the back side but it's the first pin back there.

@ratbagu I was using a powered set of logitech speakers. your advice on using un-powered headphones was good though, would probably filter out some noise from amplification at least.
                            I'm not sure why trying an MP3 would have made a difference. Especially if I don't even have a decoder installed yet, since I'm using XP with almost everything stripped out of it. A wav is raw sound and almost universal in the sense that any audio player has the ability to play it. Of course a 2 sec "click" from the default sounds isn't a huge help in debugging some output issues.
                            ^ just my 2 cents

I'm just glad I finally have sound from something
                            Now i'm off to wiring up power for the LCD

Comment

I'm not sure why trying an MP3 would have made a difference. Especially if I don't even have a decoder installed yet, since I'm using XP with almost everything stripped out of it. A wav is raw sound and almost universal in the sense that any audio player has the ability to play it. Of course a 2 sec "click" from the default sounds isn't a huge help in debugging some output issues.
                              I mentioned it only because I was testing my install with a wav sound and it wasn't working. Turned out that I stripped my xp so much that last sound file left was actually a 'blank 1kb' file-no sound in it. I kept playing it waiting for sound but nothing ever happened. I threw in an mp3 and it played just fine.

I work as an enterprise-level network administrator, so if I ask stupid questions, it's because I've experienced, or my people have done even stupid-er things..

Comment

Working...
                              X