Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] New Intel D945GCLF2 Board Not Booting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [SOLVED] New Intel D945GCLF2 Board Not Booting

    I recently purchased this board and I'm currently using a regular power supply / case to move forward with the OS / software installation. Unfortunately the board will not boot.

    Originally, when I turned on the power supply, the green LED on the board would light up and I would have to press the power button on the case to turn it on. When I pressed the power button though, the CPU fan would spin for about a second and then turn off. No output was displayed to the monitor.

    As I've been troubleshooting, one thing I tried was removing the battery, unplugging all power from the board and letting it sit. Now, when I turn on the power supply.. the CPU fan spins... shuts off, spins again, and then shuts off for good.. the power button does nothing. I can kill the power to the board, and repeat this process.

    So far I have disconnected everything except the essentials. Even tried replacing and removing the RAM to see if I could get the RAM boot error, but nothing at all. I do know the power supply is good. The power supply I'm using is an Antec 24 pin 450W ATX power supply and I am providing the 4-pin P4 power as well.

    Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

  • #2
    For good measure I went ahead and put the system I was using back together and online (yes it works without any problems) and used another PSU and case in a last attempt before asking for an RMA. This PSU works without any issues. I have no idea why it wouldn't boot with the other one... but at least I get to POST now.

    Comment


    • #3
      I had a similar problem with a psu's 24 pin connector to the mobo. I used a 20-24 pin adapter and it stopped my problem.

      Comment


      • #4
        I recently started work on my board, had a problem, couldnt load xp, would get to the first restart then bluescreen or lock up one way or another,tried two ide leads i had and two 3.5 and one 2.5 hdd,all the same thing, ready to throw it in the bin and as last resort tried the ide lead that came with the board,hello xp loaded up without a problem,on close inspection i found this, what i thought was a break and trashed the lead,i have no idea why it is there,why it wouldnt work with a lead without the "break"i notice also both leads i have had Foxconn c, 0333 printed yet one came with the board and one i have had for many years, the leads without the "break" dont have the foxcomm printing on them, hopefully some sazy tech can shed some light on this "coincidence"
        Attached Files

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jrbush82 View Post
          I recently purchased this board and I'm currently using a regular power supply / case to move forward with the OS / software installation. Unfortunately the board will not boot.

          Originally, when I turned on the power supply, the green LED on the board would light up and I would have to press the power button on the case to turn it on. When I pressed the power button though, the CPU fan would spin for about a second and then turn off. No output was displayed to the monitor.

          As I've been troubleshooting, one thing I tried was removing the battery, unplugging all power from the board and letting it sit. Now, when I turn on the power supply.. the CPU fan spins... shuts off, spins again, and then shuts off for good.. the power button does nothing. I can kill the power to the board, and repeat this process.

          So far I have disconnected everything except the essentials. Even tried replacing and removing the RAM to see if I could get the RAM boot error, but nothing at all. I do know the power supply is good. The power supply I'm using is an Antec 24 pin 450W ATX power supply and I am providing the 4-pin P4 power as well.

          Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?
          This is weird because my board sorta booted up (I had all those time/date errors) but then my power supply started smoking up. I thought it was because if was to strong for these boards (thermaltake 400 W) I guess im wrong. I am using the 20 pin connector from my thermaltake power supply from my main computer and I also put in the 4 pin power supply (also from thermal take) onto the board? Any Ideas?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TexasAggie View Post
            This is weird because my board sorta booted up (I had all those time/date errors) but then my power supply started smoking up. I thought it was because if was to strong for these boards (thermaltake 400 W) I guess im wrong. I am using the 20 pin connector from my thermaltake power supply from my main computer and I also put in the 4 pin power supply (also from thermal take) onto the board? Any Ideas?

            I placed mine in an old case with a 350W power supply and had no issues.

            Click for my projects
            2006 F150 with removable Nexus 7

            2006 Mustang with indash CarPC (Retired)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Deric View Post
              I placed mine in an old case with a 350W power supply and had no issues.

              That is how mine looked, well with memory in it. Why would the power supply be smoking any ideas?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TexasAggie View Post
                That is how mine looked, well with memory in it. Why would the power supply be smoking any ideas?
                There is a risk when using a 20-pin power supply instead of a 24-pin power supply on a 24-pin motherboard. That risk is heating due to more power being drawn from the 20-pins than what it was designed for (as I understand it). I would recommend moving up to a 24-pin PSU if your are having heating issues.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TexasAggie View Post
                  That is how mine looked, well with memory in it. Why would the power supply be smoking any ideas?
                  Do you have it in a case or sitting out on something? Is it possible something shorted out against the bottom of the motherboard and went back to the PSU?
                  Click for my projects
                  2006 F150 with removable Nexus 7

                  2006 Mustang with indash CarPC (Retired)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    hmmm well it was sitting on the side part on my old case so that could be it. Ill have my m2-atx coming in here shortly so maybe itll be fine once thats going.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Um this board pulls 45 watts max, how could that be enough to "smoke" a 400 watt psu? I'd say there's something wrong with the psu or you have something wired incorrectly (like a short). Electrical devices only pull as much power as they need -- you can hook up a 1000 watt psu to this board and it'll pull the same amount of amps as with a 100 watt psu.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X