No announcement yet.

hooking mp3 player to my sound system (2001 grand prix GT)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hooking mp3 player to my sound system (2001 grand prix GT)

k, so i bought a 2001 pontiac grand prix GT. It came equipped with 8 speaker bose sound system. sounds very nice! im used to my head unit though, which plays MP3s off of an SD card. this head unit only plays 4 speakers though, and id lose a lot of sound quality, unless i wanted to pay buku bucks. The guy at a local car audio place told me he could install something into my car, and itd work kind of like and FM transmitter, like I would turn it to w/e station, and be able to hook up an IPOD through USB. said he could install it for $95 (the 95 includes the price of the product).I dont think it is exactly an FM transmitter, because when i said "like an FM transmitter?" he didnt say it was one. he said "kinda". any of you know what this is? how good would the audio quality be? I am trying to get CD quality if possible, w/o spending too much. what do you guys think?

(also how good is this sound system? sounds good, but it is factory speakers. i have cranked them up pretty loud and havent noticed any distortion really... so i assume these speakers are pretty hard to blow?? do you guys know?

(yes i posted this in car audio. i reposted here because i just noticed this section and thought it was more fitting. im new here so sorry. hope noone is upset)

he must be thinking of the auxilary input to control an ipod with the car stereo. i dont think you have a bose. its probably a monsoon. people snag those and the ones from trans am's to put into their fiero. i have a 01 firebird monsoon in my fiero gt. sounds freakin great. i dont recall who makes the ipod interface for the monsoon decks. it can be had off ebay for way cheaper than the audio place told you.

It could be one of those FM transmitters that connect in-line with your radio antenna cable. Like one of these.

FM Modulator

It is a bose system. My friend has one too, they sound pretty awesome. He is most likely talking about an FM Modulator. I used to have one for a jenson CD changer and to be quite honest the quality sucked compaired to cd or even compaired to normal FM transmitters. But that could have just been a sucky one that i had, not sure if the quality has gotten any better with them. hope this helps.