Epia m9000 Frying memory?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epia m9000 Frying memory?

I got my 2699 case today and put the MB and HD in it and hooked up all of the connections. i was able to boot into windows like normal. after a while i shut it down to connect the HD led (which is real close to the memory stick mind you). after that point no boot up at all. not even cmos or even via.com screen.

i decide to see if somehow the memory got zapped. i go to circuit city and buy another stick of ddr. and what happens, the computer boots up fine. great! all is workin well so i go to install my wireless PCI card. i make sure to stay FAR away from the mem stick. after i put the pci card in i turn on the power, and a message says disk failure and nothing happens after that. i try rebooting and now i am at the same point again with the blank screen. apparently this memory is fried now too!! has anyone had any experience with this? what am i doing wrong?

ok i figured a few things out.

1. The memory is fine. i still have no idea why the board would not boot up.

2. There must not be enough power to run a linksys wireless card. that is my best guess. i used a standard 150W PSU and the board boots up fine with the card in it. can this be right?

Comment

I have heard of issue's with network cards and those cases with the C800 board.

I'm sure it isn't any better with that one...

-Mario

Comment

No - chances are that the mini power supply in that case does not give enough current to support the hardware that you're putting in there.

Give us a full list of all the components in your system please.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyLittle
          No - chances are that the mini power supply in that case does not give enough current to support the hardware that you're putting in there.

Give us a full list of all the components in your system please.
          That's what I meant, the ps that comes with those cases...

-Mario

Comment

well the HD is a maxtor 60 gig 7200 rpm drive. just that and the board. you are prob right. except, why was i able to boot up with just the drive? it did work. but right now i cant get it to power up with the card removed. maybe it is the drive.

Comment

I have an epia m and one of those casetonics cases with the external ac adapter. I knew it was a current issue because as soon as I access the cd-rom (slim line) the system died and the ac adapter's light was low and flickering. Connected a standard ATX supply and everything works fine. I dumped the AC adapter and went with an external 12v pyramid power supply (up to 12 amps). System seems to work ok, but after some problems I discovered that the internal board that comes with the case has problems. When I power up the system, the hard drive spins up like its shifting gears. Spins a little, then pause, then a little faster, pause, a little faster....etc. That internal board on the casetronic's can't handle a large draw.

All said and done, OPUS supply is in the mail. I don't think I'm going to go above 150 watts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
                I have an epia m and one of those casetonics cases with the external ac adapter. I knew it was a current issue because as soon as I access the cd-rom (slim line) the system died and the ac adapter's light was low and flickering. Connected a standard ATX supply and everything works fine. I dumped the AC adapter and went with an external 12v pyramid power supply (up to 12 amps). System seems to work ok, but after some problems I discovered that the internal board that comes with the case has problems. When I power up the system, the hard drive spins up like its shifting gears. Spins a little, then pause, then a little faster, pause, a little faster....etc. That internal board on the casetronic's can't handle a large draw.

All said and done, OPUS supply is in the mail. I don't think I'm going to go above 150 watts.
                well for some reason the hard drive doesnt even wind up like that. what i cant figure out is why i have been able to successfully boot up using the casetronics power supply a few times, but now i cant. there is no way that the epia board and 1 60 gig 7200 hard drive is pulling more that 55W. unless i have a defect? but nonetheless, it did work a few times.

Comment

Sound like you haven't enough +12V

You have this type of power supply in your case:

http://www.dc2dc.com/products/Products.html

As the +12V is a pass through (not regulated) it's taken from the AC adapter 55W.... (you have got +12V 1.5A only....)

So you can try with a bigger AC adapter (90W)

By the way don't use this dc-dc conevter directly in your car.... the +12V is unregulated...

The best way is to contact DC2DC
                  Epia M9000, lili 7" vga&touch & 2xTM-7002S compo, camera with reversed image, 2.5" 60 GB, 256Mb DDR, Opus 90W, GPS usb... AND MEDIACRUISER of course!

Comment

well the ac adapter is just not enough. cant even power a standard HD and the Epia m9000. i did successfully boot up the PC, after i disconnected EVERYTHING, i.e. all usb, firewire, both case fans and even the cpu fan. Then it finally boots. how does Morex expect anyone to use this ac adapter?

The dc board is rated at 60W, yet they only give you a 55W ac adapter. my speculation is that 55W is a tad bit too low. where can i get a 60W or greater adapter?

Comment

try to contact them:
                      http://www.dc2dc.com/store/store.html

they have the 55W for only $25...

the 90W is comming soon...

at europe you found this for 66 euro (=66 $)

http://www.diffusion-informatique.co...ue2/index.html

Also are aou using a std 5 1/4 cd drive? (they are eating +12V)
                      Morex use a slim cdrom that need only +5V
                      Epia M9000, lili 7" vga&touch & 2xTM-7002S compo, camera with reversed image, 2.5" 60 GB, 256Mb DDR, Opus 90W, GPS usb... AND MEDIACRUISER of course!

Comment

Originally posted by Spongebob
                        well for some reason the hard drive doesnt even wind up like that. what i cant figure out is why i have been able to successfully boot up using the casetronics power supply a few times, but now i cant. there is no way that the epia board and 1 60 gig 7200 hard drive is pulling more that 55W. unless i have a defect? but nonetheless, it did work a few times.
                        Here's my findings about my setup I've been having issues with...

SETUP:

Casetronics DC-DC board and external PSU
                        EPIA-M 9000
                        IBM Laptop Travelstar 4700 RPM 40Gig HD
                        Pioneer 16x slot load DVD
                        256 PC2100 RAM
                        Fellows serial internet touchpad
                        Creative serial IR reciever
                        Griffin USB Powermate
                        M-Audio Sonica (USB sound device)
                        300W inverter wired to the battery

When I was setting up the carputer in my house I had no issues AT ALL for days. After the install into my car I started having issues, after about a week, with the carputer shutting off instantly when I would use the DVD after the carputer was on for about an hour. I added a 40mm fan to the southbridge because I thought the heatsink was getting too hot. A few days later it started shutting off after about 5 min. of DVD use when it was just booted up. A few days after that it started shutting off with just WinAMP playing for about 15 Min. Then it just wouldn't start at all. I would get an "electrical click" through the speakers but nothing would would spin up, not even the fans. The computer was not even warm during this time.

I was reading your other posts about the power light flickering when you would have the same thing happen to you but I never got the flickering light, it just stayed solid and as bright as when it was powered up normally. Anyway, this morning I took my center console apart (the carputer is installed in the arm rest) and disconnected EVERY DEVICE except for the HD and DVD drive. IT STILL WOULD NOT BOOT UP. I checked all the wiring and looked at the DC board for any burn marks. Nothing...I unplugged the two wire "bridge" from the DC board and plugged it back in. WHOULD YOU BELIEVE THE FLIPPIN' THING BOOTED AFTER THAT!!!

I did put a DVD in the drive and it had no problems playing it for a few minutes. I did not get a chance to test it extensively but I will on my way home tonight. I will post my findings then.

I'm not sure if it's the external PSU not being powerfull enough or something else. I did notice at CompUSA they had THIS Targus Auto power adaptor, that supplies 70W and it's about half the size of the PSU for the DC board, on sale for $75. I need to do some serious testing soon to get this BS finalized.
                        Aura MR62 (F and R)
                        My Current MP3s
                        IamDefiler.com

Comment

UPDATE TO ABOVE POST:

I'm gonna throw this friggin' thing out the window!!!

I went out to the car to show it to someone and played some mp3s for about 5 Min. and then tried to show the DVD side of it and the same friggin' thing happened. DVD spun up and the carputer cut off imediately. Then the carputer tried to reboot on it's own and as soon as the DVD spun up, in the middle of the post, it cut off again and repeated this until I cut the power.

I'm begining to think what everyone is: THE CASETRONICS DC-DC BOARD AND EXTERNAL PSU DOES NOT SUPPLY ENOUGH POWER FOR THE EPIA-M 9000.

I'm ****ed!!!! I leave for vacation in a week, where I will be driving for 12+ hours, and my carputer doesn't work worth a s**t...
                          Aura MR62 (F and R)
                          My Current MP3s
                          IamDefiler.com

Comment

Two things you may concider.

Put a second one of the DC-DC in the case as it will probably fit being so small.

Run the drives off one and the mobo on the other.

Second option, overnight a modified Opus.

3rd option buy (and than return after you get back) an inverter and a temp standard atx power supply.
                            Not the best option, but neither is a 12 hour drive without entertainment...

-Mario

Comment

does anyone know if the opus or sproggy will fit inside the 2699 case? is there any other alternative to use other than that 60W dc board with the 2699?

Comment

Working...
                              X