Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Having Cold Problems Yet?

Anyone Having Cold Problems Yet?
    I am having a few cold problems, that I am not sure how to fix.
    I have an opus, 40gig -7200 ATA-100 Deskstar, a fv25, 1.3 celeron, 300 and somethin of ram, and a up until a couple of days ago was booting up in less than 30 sec. It's now taking about 2-3 min. Now you have to realize that's it's been much colder than a witch's titty hear. Usually around zero the past few days. So even after the car and the carputer warms up now, I'll shut it all down and restart and it will still be slower than molases in the middle of January.

Is there any fixes I should try? Anyone have any ideas, or a similar experience?

Thanks for all your help in advance...this board has helped me build three of the biznatchs now.
    BossTone74

See, I find this very odd, because cold is generally good for computers... cant be anything but a good thing for the chip, mobo & ram. Dont know abo the hard drive... could be the battery... I dont know so much abo batteries... but if the battery is cold.. perhaps it needs to warm up a bit to produce enough juice to power the computer.
    Can you test to see if the power output is low? can you tell if the computer is running in some sort of low-power mode?
    You might be able to solve the problem with a new car battery, a newer one should have a little more kick. (given, Im just taking guesses here, thinking out loud. )
    You could try a mini-ups battery system, just to have some good juice for the first few seconds of boot up..
    1995 SL stock
    Working On: GMAT
    Given Up On: Custom motorized lcd

Comment

Connect a real monitor if you can just to see what is happening...

-Mario

Comment

I am using a brand new Battery (which I have let warm up significantly and restarted the system), and I am using a 10.4 lcd, so I can see everything happening, the mobo powers up, the screen powers up, but the boot time just slowed down dramatically...
        I do not have a way to test the power output.
        BossTone74

Comment

I wonder if frost or condensation is building in the drive causing read problems.

-Mario

Comment

The drive is sealed.. so its doubtfull is condensation in the drive, but m3rdpwr you got a point there... could be condensation ...

you know those little packets of drying powder? those little packets that absorb moisture... what about tossing in a few of those?

honestly, I have no idea what the problem is, if I were you, I would try to isolate it... like

1) remove the input devices, and everything "extra". is it still slow? then you know its not one of your misc extra devices that are slowing things down..

2) bring a desktop computer in the car, attach that as your monitor... is the boot-up still slow, then its not some issue with a cold lcd (very very unlikely anyhow.)

3) one day, instead of turning the car on, grab the computer run it into the house, and boot it up there while its still cold... same problem? then its deffinitly the mobo/cpu/drive, and its not the battery...

4) start testing with different components, different mobo, different cpu, different drive... narrow it down to exactly what part is being affected, and then find a replacement... I wish I could offer advice with more substance, and good luck.
            1995 SL stock
            Working On: GMAT
            Given Up On: Custom motorized lcd

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!
              Like I said before, this board, and brainstorming really creates success....oh wait, I never siad that before....but I'm sure it does.
              BossTone74

Comment

Do a search on cold or temp. the short answer is displays (lcd) are the only things really changed by cold. The refresh rate drops ....

Actual boot time should not be changed but the display may take extra time to catch up.

Good luck
                TruckinMP3
                D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I wish that were true, if it was I would be hearing my tunes right away, because I have my win amp going on start up....
                  I have done a search on the temp thing....I didn't find any answers.
                  BossTone74

Comment

Originally posted by CA 3000GT
                    The drive is sealed.. so its doubtfull is condensation in the drive, but m3rdpwr you got a point there... could be condensation ...
                    Hard drives are not sealed.

you know those little packets of drying powder? those little packets that absorb moisture... what about tossing in a few of those?
                    This would be pointless.

honestly, I have no idea what the problem is, if I were you, I would try to isolate it... like
                    Then why answer?

My first thought is that the CMOS battery is not working correctly in the cold and the motherboard is resetting the CMOS every time. This is easy to test by connecting a monitor up and trying to boot the system.

If that is not the cause, the HD might be having cold issues. Make sure you have a HD LED, and boot the system cold. Does the LED spend lots of time solidly on? If so, then it is an indication of read/write problems. Might want to use a regular IDE cable (to disable ATA-100) and see if things clear up. Also, once it boots, does it run slow? Do a scandisk and watch disc activity.

Those are about the only two causes that would result in slow bootups, but you have not mentioned the OS. If it is Win9x, then it is possible the network settings have changed and the system is expecting an IP address from DHCP. If this is the case, boot time will increase dramatically. WinXP/2000 does not have this problem.
                    Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                    Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                    "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

30 degrees F. this morning and no problems at all. It was very dry too.
                      Aura MR62 (F and R)
                      My Current MP3s
                      IamDefiler.com

Comment

Thanks again for responding....

Yes I did forget to mention a couple of things in my previous messages...

The OS is XP, with the downloaded SP1

Also, where the computer begins to hang up, is after I turn it on, it recognizes everything, processor, ram, bla blah bla....REALLY FREAKIN' fast. Then when it starts the widows loads *****. Then it just sit there with that scroll bar going across the screen over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and ....you get the picture.... Then it goes black for about a minute. ....then BAM....lighting fast again.... I scan disked, I defragged....and neither seemed to do any good....

My guess is the hard drive...crappy IBMs....

Thanks again!
                        BossTone74

Comment

try starting in safe mode, it might be something else and its just a coincidence that it happened at the same time it got cold.
                          Project AutoBoxen: Coming along, almost ready to hook up in the car.
                          Celeron 500, 192mb ram, 8gb hdd, other stuff.
                          '91 Mazda 626: Its free, so ill use it.

Comment

I've been having some problems in the cold that never seems to happen in warm weather. It's hard to explain, but I know it's screwed up when no video shows until the Windows GUI has loaded. Then, my playlist and a few lines of my program are jumbled. Can't explain why, yet.
                            Don't Click

Comment

This post may be a little long, but there seems to be widespread misconception that colder is always better for electronic parts. It just isn't true!

Virtually every electronic part you name will have a temperature range with high and low limits over which it is specified to operate and still be within the defined specs.

There are obvious examples of cold being bad. Some batteries work much better (i.e. supply a defined amount of current within some defined voltage range) at low temperatures than others since their chemical reactions are affected by temperature - some of your slow-cranking starter on a cold day is due to cold engine and some due to a cold battery. LCDs may not work when they are too cold, etc. etc. If you lived on the North Slope of Alaska, even the metal (serious stuff like an axle) or plastic parts of your car might break because they get very brittle at the low temps there.

All digital components can have timing issues with temperature change both hot and cold. There are critical timing tolerances that have to be met or things don't work right. Signal timing changes with temp, so data may be unstable when a timing pulse comes along, the wrong value is used, and operation gets unpredictable or it doesn't work at all. Resistors and capacitors change value as the temperature goes up and down and can cause problems in both digital and analog circuits like a power supply.

People who design electronics have to take all of this into account so they have to decide what temperature range it needs to operate over. It costs extra money to get components that meet the specs over wide temperature ranges and computer equipment designed for a nice home or office environment isn't going to be using those. Your car is actually a pretty nasty place for electronics. It could be -30F in the winter or +150F in the summer and you'd still like things to work while the heater warms it up or the air conditioner cools it off to a comfy temp. I looked in my manuals real quick and couldn't find anything on my motherboard, but my Linksys router says its designed to operate from 32F to 104F, my CD drive 5C-40C (41F-104F if I didn't make a mistake) as examples.

We usually get lucky and things work over a wider range than they have to since the specs are worst-case and a good designer will be conservative in their design, but it doesn't always work that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X