Looking for Buttons (maybe with USB?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Buttons (maybe with USB?)

I'm trying to find some buttons i can use with my CarPuter mainly as a Next/Previous for Winamp but i can't find anything that's either US or Com Port with 2 buttons. I've looked at Phidgets also but they don't have any buttons either just a knob that can be a button but hat's not what i want. (besides i want 2 side by side)

does anyone have any ideas of something out there available that could fit this demand?

you could just get 2 standard buttons or a panel that has 2 buttons in it and connect that to a Fusion Brain and have the software send whatever key it is that you need to get winamp to next/prev. could be a little involved, but really its not that difficult.

Comment

ok, I see what you mean by fusion brain but where would i get buttons that connect to that?

Comment

any standard automotive momentary button from you local auto parts store or radio shack. the software that comes with the unit is fully programmable and customizable so you would hook the switch up to one of the analogue inputs and tell the program that when the input sees voltage to execute the next / prev command

Comment

so I can use buttons that are already in my car? just hook up the power/ground to the board?

Comment

If you have a spare PS2 keyboard laying around and your computer has the free port to use it or have a USB keyboard around.

Simple remove the cable and main interface card from the case of the keyboard and follow the two wire/circuit lines that run from the keys "Z" and "B" and wire two switches to them both.

Then all you need todo is find a switch that fits the looks and style you like. From radioshack/jaycar/dse/online.

This method works perfect and simply is the same as pressing a key on the keyboard
            have a look at: Keyboard Hack
            2004 Holden WL Caprice Auto GENIII
            Base System = Raspberry Pi
            Everything else is pending for now as switched from a Mini-ITX setup

Comment

Originally posted by Ludercrs View Post
              so I can use buttons that are already in my car? just hook up the power/ground to the board?

the brain will have 3 pins in the header you connect to. one is 5v+ one is ground and one is 5v input - you would just run a wire from the 5v+ to the button of your choice then out the other side of the switch to the 5v input of the brain

To understand how it works in more detail checkout their website and their section of the forum

Comment

ya i understand how the brain works i just don't know what would connect to it. I was expecting stuff made to connect to it and not stuff i have to McGuyver.

Comment

You don't have to macguyver. Any switch will work. We didn't make switches, because everyone has different taste. Just pick up a switch, and one of our three pin cables.

Comment

Im sorry to ask, But why would you go with the fusion option as this will would require alot of work.

Using something like the keyboard hack is fool proof and fault proof along with u can simple use the default keystrokes for winamp and build a whole control panel and still have your fusion system available for more complex setups?
                    2004 Holden WL Caprice Auto GENIII
                    Base System = Raspberry Pi
                    Everything else is pending for now as switched from a Mini-ITX setup

Comment

Don't know if this will help or not but over at www.byoac.com they have a keybpard emulator for home brew arcade machines (addicting let me tell you). Anyhow, this is the one I use:

http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

It plugs in between your keyboard and computer and you can map keys for the buttons to emulate. Nice thing is you can use any kind of switch you like once it's connected.

Theres a wealth of info at byoac about switches too. Just cruise around a bit and you can find different kinds of switches. I warn you though, much like carputers this can be a bit of a black hole from whence you may not be able to return.

Hope that helps some.

Comment

i dont want to use the keyboard hack cus the keys "z" and "b" are not what i want to use (and the keys won't work unless winamp is the active window)

i also don't really want my car to look like an arcade with those buttons lol.

all i'm looking for are actual buttons, yet everyone keeps saying "you can use any button" well then SHOW ME SOME.

Comment

http://www.radioshack.com/family/ind...goryId=2032278

any of those

Comment

More here:

http://www.electricalconnection.com/...h_high-amp.htm

And here:

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/keepi...odinc=switches

Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                            Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

and all of those are switches and not buttons.

Comment

Working...
                              X