SSD People.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSD People.

Anyone else here using SSD in extreme cold temperature? (-20*C or lower)
    I've been using my desktop wheel bearing hd for quite sometimes and it works great, unless its well below -30*C. Thinking ssd would solve my problem, i bought patriot ssd over boxing day. The first one was totally crapped, i couldnt even format it, so i got it rma'ed. The second one was all good, installed windows fine, everything good for TWO days, then the hard drive becomes totally useless like the first one. (cant access/format/or anything)
    So anyone else got a different brand that's around the same price range that works well?

I've got a Patriot working well.

Drop up to Killington the other week in -30F wind chills, so probably around -10 air temp. No problems.

My car on the other hand has very little heat... lol

Comment

There is a lot of problems with cheap MLC SSD... Only MLC which work without freezing problems is Intel X25-M. All others have bug in controller... Other option is any SLC SSD...
      Good luck with yours...

Comment

yeah i noticed that difference as well, only problem is SLC at the moment is quite expensive.
        So i guess i'll just have to wait until their prices goes down, just like MLC.

Comment

OCZ just released a new Apex budget series of MLC SSD to replace the current Core series. I think I read somewhere that the current stuttering issues from the Jmicron controller should be addressed with the new line. But I would wait and keep checking to see when there are deals. Just a while back there was a 64G for $130CAD shipped.

Comment

64gb for 89.95 and 128 is 175.95 after mail in rebate

http://www.2cooltek.com/ssd-flash-hdd/

bought me the 128 today will let u know

nick

Comment

Darn - if I wouldn't have ordered my monitor today I would have been all over the 64GB.

Originally posted by nick7461 View Post

nick
              Click for my projects
              2006 F150 with removable Nexus 7

2006 Mustang with indash CarPC (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by nick7461 View Post

nick
                that is one wicked deal, too bad they only ship US. Anyone else here that live in canada or have similar winter temps? ( -30*C or lower)
                I looked at ridata ssd, and they makes some extreme temp (-40*C) ssd hard drive, but they're hella expensive though. Their non extreme temp ssd are also very cheap (~80bucks/32gb). Unless someone else have better experience with another brand, i think i'm going to wait until they perfect MLC, or SLC becomes cheaper. Also, when i had the patriot HD installed, i had no performance issues, partly because i just clone my original hard drive instead of re-installing windows.

Comment

I found a chinese SSD on ebay that has operating temp of -10*C which is pretty good.
                  anyone else have experience or opinion on this?
                  http://cgi.ebay.ca/32GB-SSD-SATA-2-5...em260356214947

Comment

Heya Guys,
                    I use the OCZ Vertex 60Gig, Commell LS-372, 1.80G Core 2 Duo cpu, 2gig ram, nLite'd XP with SP3, and NO stuttering issues.

To windows desktop bootime around 21sec (from hitting power button)

Nice and easy, and no issues with cold/heat.
                    F6 Tornado Project Log ; HP Blackbird Watercooled Server

Beta Tester for Centrafuse and 3dConnexion (No business affiliation with either)

Comment

how cold are we talking? it gets below -30*C here.

Comment

I use an OCZ SSD and it works well in cold weather. I don't think it has seen the negative temperatures that you're talking about but it has seen near 0*F if I'm not mistaken.

From what I've been reading brand name is big when it comes to SSDs. Usually the cheaper ones don't perform as well as say an Intel X25 would. Nevertheless, my OCZ has been great for me and is really really fast compared to a regular notebook hard drive.

And holy crap $80 for a 64GB OCZ is dirt cheap!
                        1995 AWD Tsi Talon

Intel D945GCLF
                        M2-ATX
                        2GB Corsair
                        30GB OCZ SSD
                        BU-353
                        Lilliput EBY-701
                        Logitech DiNovo Mini
                        LSX VOID 3.3

Comment

Im use my first two SSD in carpc when outside temp. has been -15C 32GB Trancend sometimes doesn't start but when Im restart pc it normaly work. With Mtron 3025 Im not have any problems at this temperature and is work normaly everytime I start it. Problem has been LCD which is not work under 0C but Im listen music with flashing LCD

Comment

the mtron sounds like a really good quality ssd, i think i will wait until price hit 150ish range to get one.

Comment

Yeah I looked at mtrons as well and they are crazy expensive. Until prices drop I'll stick with my OCZ its been solid so far.
                              1995 AWD Tsi Talon

Intel D945GCLF
                              M2-ATX
                              2GB Corsair
                              30GB OCZ SSD
                              BU-353
                              Lilliput EBY-701
                              Logitech DiNovo Mini
                              LSX VOID 3.3

Comment

Working...
                              X