Which DVDROM? Does it matter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which DVDROM? Does it matter?

I've been looking all day for what DVDrom I should be looking to get for my CarPC but have only found what drives others are using. Is there any specific manufs/models I should be looking at? I'm concerned about the disc skipping over bumps. I don't require a slim drive since I have the space for a regular drive... I'd prefer a slot-load for a sleeker install.

Don't really matter. You can get a Pioneer, Samsung or LG brand for about $30-40.

Comment

Aside from brand loyalty, do some perform better than others in the Car environment as far as skipping discs are concerned?

Comment

Haven't seen a 5.25" drive that has an Antiskip feature as these are supposed to be installed in a stationary case. If you have a current PC that has a DVDdrive, try running a DVD or CD on it, lift the case and shake it up and down. See if it skips. heh.

Comment

Probably a dumb quesiton but would a laptop drive skip less than a desktop drive?

Comment

that's what i'm using now. haven't had issues. that 2mb buffer helps. try finding one that has 8mb

Comment

A laptop drive along with hard drive is made for the bumpy environment.
              Along with getting a lappy drive, I would suggest getting a lightscribe if you plan on using it to rip/burn cds.

Can easily generate some software which creates the playlist on the disc itself as the cover.
              2004 Holden WL Caprice Auto GENIII
              Base System = Raspberry Pi
              Everything else is pending for now as switched from a Mini-ITX setup

Comment

with laptop drives the cd/dvd typically clicks in also which helps to keep it from bouncing around where desktop drive just sit in place, although the slot load drives hold it better

Comment

I would suggest a slot load. The laptop tray style always seems a bit fragile to me.
                  Click for my projects
                  2006 F150 with removable Nexus 7

2006 Mustang with indash CarPC (Retired)

Comment

ya, im thinking slot load

Comment

i wouldn't waste too much time with lightscribe in the car. hell, it's not even practical in a desktop environment. get a laptop drive because it will run off the 5v rail and has the smallest form factor. that's sound advice what was posted about getting the biggest buffer too.

Comment

When mounting a standard dvd drive, ensure that it does sit on a level, horizontal plane. Some drives like those from Samsung have no problem burning a dvd while on the go. My 18X will burn a DVD in less than 4 minutes.

Bear in mind, that laptop DVD drives aren't all that fast when reading or burning 4.7 GB of data, as compared to the standard full sized ones. Laptop units are only capable of burning at 8X vs 20X on standard desktop drives. The difference is significant, most especially when time is of importance. Stay away from the USB CD drives if you can, the are very slow when it comes to installing Windows operating system. Direct IDE or SATA connection is the way to go.

Decide what matters most to you. Best of luck.

~David
                        Check out my CARPC: Project Diamond Plate

Quick Reference:
                        CPU Electrical Specs
                        Power Supply Calculator

Video Connections for newbies
                        Temperature Converter
                        Voltage Calculator

Comment

I won't be burning CDs or DVDs in my vehicle. I'll leave those duties up to my desktop in my office. I'll also be setting up my carpc on the bench, not in the car, so installing Windows will have been done by the time it makes it into my truck, and if a re-install is in order I'd bring the carpc inside... I was thinking about a USB drive which would allow a more flexible in car placement since I can run longer connections but they are slower... I guess since watching a DVD won't be all that often and since a DVD is usually ~1.5+ hours anyhow it won't matter if the drive isn't readily accessable. Maybe I'll just go with a standard SATA desktop drive... This info. is exactly why I started this thread. Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                          X