No announcement yet.

does your bass mess up your hard drive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does your bass mess up your hard drive?

Im new to this carputer thing, however im a well versed audio installer. I always assumed this would happen, but have finally proved it.....so to speak. My hard drive ( I assume...) can not handle anything above about 135 dbs. I want it in a vehicle hitting numbers over 160. Any suggestions?

First of all, where is it located in relation to the speaker?

Second, is it an automotive grade hard drive?

Third, and I'm sure you must be doing this in competitions, 160 decibels is louder than a jet engine at 100 feet (140 decibels) and 180 db causes the death of hearing tissue.

You must have a nice audio system.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

yes.....i do run competitions. im running 8 15 inch Kicker L7's with about 5k watts. i know i cant hear as good as you, but long story short, the speakers will be a fourt-horder sealde foward at the b pillar. However, the pressure is SO GREAT, that the sound comes from outside the car(1998 volvo v70), and disturdws the HD. I have to use a cd player. Now how can my cd player (cheap pioneer) my, and my ipod handle it right up front, anc comp in back freezes at high volume. It happenes even if im using the ipod through the radio, and only using pc for nav. by the way i have a 15 inch touch screen that is not phased by this insaine pressure. No i do not have an automotive hard drive.......simply a laptop one. thanks for your time....

Derek

Comment

how about just get SSD? if you have money for such audio stuff...

Comment

Are you sure it is the hard drive? Often with lockups, people suspect the hard drive and it turns out to be something different. Do you have a PCI card?
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

yes, i do compete. I hace 8 15" L7's with 4 xs100's runnung them. This causes pressure anywhere in the car. They are sealed foward at the b pillar, but pressure comes around the car, and still causes a problem. I have recently learned about flash drive being able to run an operating system. Is this true?...if so how big do they come. ....and what was ment by automotive hard drive? Again thank y'all for y'all's time.

Comment

I have no idea if this is the reason, but back when I had my computer next to my subwoofers (2x12") I had hard drives die about once every couple months. Since I moved it away and under the passenger seat I've yet to have another one die.

And yes, you can run an OS off a Compact Flash card with a CF to IDE/SATA adapter. You can get them pretty large depending on how much you're willing to pay.
              "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
              RevFE
              My Shop

Comment

a problem that using a different hard drive is that Streetdeck then wont let my key work......i really like that sorftware......is there a way to reconfigure hardware, and it still install?.....as of now i cant even put xp pro on it since it hat home when the hardware id was created.

Comment

8 15's!! wow , that could tear a hd apart!!

I've got one 12" IDQ sub at around 500w rms in sealed about 2 feet away from hd..no real probs..the frickin sata connector though is crap, i keep having to reseat it every month or so...
                  Sig, smig...

Ford Flex Toshiba Excite 7.7 Install

CoverMess - Cool Flash Covers

FlashFlex - Flash Components for your skinning pleasure

Mazda Millenia, Road Runner

YouTube - Road Runner, IGO8 PC, Dashcommand OBD, Visteon HD Radio

Comment

Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
                    I have no idea if this is the reason, but back when I had my computer next to my subwoofers (2x12") I had hard drives die about once every couple months. Since I moved it away and under the passenger seat I've yet to have another one die.

And yes, you can run an OS off a Compact Flash card with a CF to IDE/SATA adapter. You can get them pretty large depending on how much you're willing to pay.
                    The reason why your hard drives went bad was definitely becuase they were near your subs. Hard drives are the most notious computer component that goes bad; I have had like 3 or 4 hard drives die on me; usually their life expectancy is about 5 years.

However, jarring a hard drive (especially from dropping it) can easily destory it, since it has moving mechanical parts inside of it (it is sort of like a metal record player inside, and it has metal plates that look like CD's, which get read by very precide metal "heads").

Anyways, before I bore you any further with the technical aspects of hard drives, I'll just get back to the main point: you can DEFINITELY permantly destory your hard drive with a loud enough sub right near it, as it will jar and vibrate the heck out of it! Unfortunetly I can't think of a good solution to the problem, other than moving it as far away as possible (which by the sounds you did already, heh heh!)

Comment

with 8 15" subs is there even room for a carpc? You might need a sound proof box to house you carpc in to stand up to that bass

Comment

i have a volvo wagon. ive considered that, but to cool it air has to get in,.....where air gets in, pressure gets in. Ive also thought of enclosing it in a bandpass box, and flip the polarity of an 8 inch woofer in there.....maybe cancelling some of thr pressure......ant ore thoughts.....thanks again y'all...

Comment

your talking about massive vibration waves, so hmm i think it will not work and be too expensive to make a shock proof box for a HD, esp at the levels he is talking about, i doubt there is any even data on HD's with those levels because they are beyond normal operation or what can be expected, your best bet is SSD just get the solid state HD's and i dont know but maybe a mirror image of your current partition might work with the key on new hd... assuming all the other hardware is the same

these vibrations im sure you can feel even quite a bit out from the car, I would assume… I never experienced something like that, but it could be something to that of concert sound system packed in a very tight area at close range, I doubt any HD would work, the vibrations would just transmit themselves through materials, and your absorbing system would just go into a cyclic state and eventually cause the HD to fail or hick up
                          As mentioned by others and me your only bet is solid state hard drives they are somewhat cheap now depending on the size and the performance you want

Comment

i too assume that is the only way. Thank Y'all for y'all's advice.....VERY helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by derek156 View Post
                              i have a volvo wagon. ive considered that, but to cool it air has to get in,.....where air gets in, pressure gets in. Ive also thought of enclosing it in a bandpass box, and flip the polarity of an 8 inch woofer in there.....maybe cancelling some of thr pressure......ant ore thoughts.....thanks again y'all...
                              I was just being sarcastic... obviously a sound proof box would be a heat issue. The only way to get around that would be to use a water cooling system but that is just impractical for automotive use. I thought about it when I first got into the carpc thing and found a bunch of threads explaining how its unstable and draws too much power.

A SSD you would work for a hard drive most likely but the motherboard and stuff is still vulnerable to vibration issues in some cases, especially with the amount that 8 subs will produce in a car.

Comment

Working...
                              X