What kind of wires d you use to connect power to the car computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of wires d you use to connect power to the car computer

Can someone throw some light on what sort of wires should be used to connect +12V, ACC and GND signals to the computer.

I use 12 AWG for fused + and - leads...
    You can use any old 18-24AWG hookup wire for the ACC

Comment

i used 1.5mm speaker wire to the car pc

which i took from my distribution point next to the amp.
      that has 8 AWG wire going to it

Comment

Read this from the FAQs in the navigation bar up top.

More FAQs in my signature.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

The power issue is very subjective. Guess the first thing to do is to figure out how much power your application is going to use. Then physically measure the planned rout of the wiring to the PSU. The gauge of wire is directly proportional to these two factors. Then decide if you are going to use stranded wire or solid depending on how complex the wiring rout is going to be (stranded is easier to bend while solid will carry more current per gauge). After this, a simple table provided on many car audio sites can be used to determine the gauge of wire to use. Remember that a good ground will also effect this. If the body panels in your car are mixed materials it will affect the circuit efficiency negatively to do a body ground (black wire). If this is true, the best bet is to ground directly to the battery, running the wire the full gambit back to the battery from the PSU. Also make sure to fuse the hot red wire. Try not forget to take in consideration of future upgrades to the circuit, so you don't have to tear into the wiring just to add a couple of cool looking lights or something like that. I want to iterate the use of proper wire also. Never use inappropriate wire for the application, ie SPEAKER wire to power your unit. Remember to ALWAYS round up on electrical considerations as it is entirely possible to burn your car to the ground, or worse yet, weld your finger off grounding a ring to the body!!! yikes!!!

A good rule of thimb is voltage times amperage equals watts and this can be reversed to volts divided by watts equals amps. Have fun, cheers.....

Comment

The issue is that wires have resistance in them. Over a distance, voltage will drop as a result of that resistance which results in heat. If the wire is not thick enough it heats up and in worst cases will cause a fire.

You can't go wrong with a thicker wire but there are ways to calculate how thick a wire you need that incorporate the internal resistance of the wire over a distance dependent upon how much power you need to carry. If you estimate the power you need to carry, the FAQ in the link above will tell you what size wire you need.
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Inspektor8 & Bugbyte <- No way your car can catch fire if you use a fuse! Besides that, I agree completely!

The larger the wire, the less the loss... I use 16 mm2.. Dunno what that is in gauge, but it's about 10mm in diameter, which is just under of an inch...

1. Always use the same gauge on the hot wire as you use on the ground!
              2. Ground wire is supposed to be as short as possible, always under 1 feet.
              3. ALWAYS put a fuse on the hot wire from the battery, as close to the battery as possible. (mine is about 7-8 inches from the battery.)
              4. Your ACC can be any old wire, it's just used to put out the signal to turn on the amp.

Btw, don't buy the cheapest you can find, especially when you buy phono-cables... I helped a friend put together a stereo in his car, and there was an incredible amount of noise from the alternator! His phono-cable was $15... I took one of mine, and no noise! They are $60 a piece, and there were no noise... The cost of the cables in my car is just aroung $500, but the expensive cables WILL bring your soul at ease! :-)

But the most important thing is still: A fuse between the battery and your amp...
              If you can't drive a stick... You can't drive!

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_OD View Post
                Inspektor8 & Bugbyte <- No way your car can catch fire if you use a fuse! Besides that, I agree completely!

SNIP
                Incorrect. Bad information.

The correct size fuse must be used. When a fuse is larger than needed the fire can happen before the fuse does it's job of opening the circuit.

You stated as an absolute and did not address the detail.
                TruckinMP3
                D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I'm very sorry, of course you are right...
                  My appologies, the fuse needs to blow before any of the tiny wires overheat...

Can't really defend what I said, since you are right...
                  If you use inch wires, the fuse will blow, but yeah....

My bad, I'm sorry...
                  Btw, I use 30 amp fuses, and they will blow...

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_OD View Post
                    I'm very sorry, of course you are right...
                    My appologies, the fuse needs to blow before any of the tiny wires overheat...

Can't really defend what I said, since you are right...
                    If you use inch wires, the fuse will blow, but yeah....

My bad, I'm sorry...
                    Btw, I use 30 amp fuses, and they will blow...
                    No worries, I want to be sure someone with less electrical understanding does not cause themselves a problem.

Cheers.
                    TruckinMP3
                    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I know what you mean, and I'm really sorry! One thing I hate about forums, is the fact that ppl with no knowledge at all can reply, and they doo...
                      I gotta admit, that I didn't think I would be one of them though...
                      Hence I'm happy that you corrected me!

Comment

I used 4 gauge, for my power block that powers my amp and computer,
                        I run 10 gauge from it, to the computer and amp, and 10 gauge for the
                        grounds, for the remote turn on and acc I ran 16 to 18 gauge wire
                        - all wire that I use is multi-strand copper wire

Also fuse should be within 18 inches of the battery

Here is a good link
                        Recommended Power and Ground Cable Sizes

Comment

I use 10 gauge for the power/ground and 18 gauge for switched.
                          Ampie Case
                          2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                          256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                          Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                          Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                          M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Guys, thanks for all the info. It is quite clear what needs to be done.

Comment

Working...
                            X