Installing a switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a switch

i am looking to install a switch on the car pc that will not make it turn on when the car turns on if i dont want it to. Would i put the switch on the 12v constant or the ignition. Im just not sure which the power supply uses to turn on

you need to put it on the ignition line.
    Lilliput EBY701, M2-ATX, Intel 1.8 GHz, 1GB Ram, 160 GB 2.5 hard drive, Centrafuse, Garmin Mobile PC, GlobalSat BU-353.
    My 2000 Saturn SL2 Worklog

Comment

You want to switch the ignition "ACC" wire to the power supply.
      Brian-

Comment

This may help:
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...ll-switch.html
        xb_mini

Comment

I just did this in my car. I added one for the main power coming from the battery in case the computer freezes so I can cut power to it and essentially "restart" it. I also added one to the ignition line so that I can have the computer not turn on if I am, for example, just moving my car from one place to another in a driveway or something like that.

I just bought 2 simple "on/off" rocker switches form autozone and they work like a charm.
          1995 AWD Tsi Talon

Intel D945GCLF
          M2-ATX
          2GB Corsair
          30GB OCZ SSD
          BU-353
          Lilliput EBY-701
          Logitech DiNovo Mini
          LSX VOID 3.3

Comment

Originally posted by RyanB95 View Post
            I just did this in my car. I added one for the main power coming from the battery in case the computer freezes so I can cut power to it and essentially "restart" it. I also added one to the ignition line so that I can have the computer not turn on if I am, for example, just moving my car from one place to another in a driveway or something like that.

I just bought 2 simple "on/off" rocker switches form autozone and they work like a charm.
            Make sure if you do this on the constant line that you are using the switch to trip a relay for the power, not just direct.

If you get a 3 way switch with a centre off, then up/down positions, you can make a "normal", "always on", "always off" switch. So if you dont want it to turn on, flip the switch to the centre. Dont want it to turn off, switch to the "always on" postion. Want normal, switch to other pole. Then normal would be wired to switched +12 and always on would go to constant +12.
            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
              Make sure if you do this on the constant line that you are using the switch to trip a relay for the power, not just direct.

If you get a 3 way switch with a centre off, then up/down positions, you can make a "normal", "always on", "always off" switch. So if you dont want it to turn on, flip the switch to the centre. Dont want it to turn off, switch to the "always on" postion. Want normal, switch to other pole. Then normal would be wired to switched +12 and always on would go to constant +12.
              So I should have an in-line relay installed after the switch then? As in in-between the switch and the computer?
              1995 AWD Tsi Talon

Intel D945GCLF
              M2-ATX
              2GB Corsair
              30GB OCZ SSD
              BU-353
              Lilliput EBY-701
              Logitech DiNovo Mini
              LSX VOID 3.3

Comment

Originally posted by RyanB95 View Post
                So I should have an in-line relay installed after the switch then? As in in-between the switch and the computer?
                You NEVER want to run the main current through a user switchable source. NEVER EVER EVER.

So basically you need a small (like even speaker wire) guage cable to your mains switch, then from there to a relay coil.

When the switch it flipped, you are toggling the relay on and off. The relay then toggles the main power source for your PC on and off.

If you route it from battery to switch then to power supply directly, you are sending every amp that your system draws through that dinky little switch. Heating up the contact and making a large fire hazard. Also every time the switch moves back and forth you have the possibility of an arc/discharge between the flip part of the switch and the casing.

Relay: $2
                Car: $10k-$50k
                15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                  You NEVER want to run the main current through a user switchable source. NEVER EVER EVER.

So basically you need a small (like even speaker wire) guage cable to your mains switch, then from there to a relay coil.

When the switch it flipped, you are toggling the relay on and off. The relay then toggles the main power source for your PC on and off.

If you route it from battery to switch then to power supply directly, you are sending every amp that your system draws through that dinky little switch. Heating up the contact and making a large fire hazard. Also every time the switch moves back and forth you have the possibility of an arc/discharge between the flip part of the switch and the casing.

Relay: $2
                  Car: $10k-$50k
                  Thanks! Will install ASAP. I don't look forward to my car going up in flames because of a stupid switch!
                  1995 AWD Tsi Talon

Intel D945GCLF
                  M2-ATX
                  2GB Corsair
                  30GB OCZ SSD
                  BU-353
                  Lilliput EBY-701
                  Logitech DiNovo Mini
                  LSX VOID 3.3

Comment

Here is an ON-OFF-ON switch I fitted to my car on the accessory line that goes to my opus power supply. I mounted this in the glove box out of the way. The centre wire goes back to my Opus Power Supply, Input I comes from Accessory power (head unit harness) and Input II comes directly from the battery.

Centre Position (off) means nothing is working, I says turn power on and off with the key, II says powered on all the time.

I don't see a relay is necessary as the power supply is essentially a relay which is turned on via a low current signal of a few milliamps on the accessory wire which tells it to start drawing power from the battery from the constant 12 volt line. As this switch is on the low current side, there is no need to use another relay but switch Position II needs to be fused. It's like putting a switch on a relay for a pair of driving lights, it goes on the low current side.
                    RodW
                    2007 Toyota Hilux with a CarPC..

Worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ota-hilux.html
                    OziExplorer GPS Embedded in RR: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/sb-s...iexplorer.html

Comment

Originally posted by rodweb View Post
                      Here is an ON-OFF-ON switch

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...itch-help.html

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...ll-switch.html

My new switch is illuminates, but no writing (same three way action, just more noticeable when getting out of the vehicle so I remember to shut everything down).
                      HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

so if i get a 3 way switch will that work out better than just one switch?

but what about all the mention of relays and such do i need those also or just a heavy enough 3 way switch to handle the load of the carpc

thanks guys for your help thus far i have learned quite a bit

Comment

Originally posted by bmw_car_pc View Post
                          so if i get a 3 way switch will that work out better than just one switch?

but what about all the mention of relays and such do i need those also or just a heavy enough 3 way switch to handle the load of the carpc

thanks guys for your help thus far i have learned quite a bit
                          If you are just switching the ACC line, then no relay needed as it is a few milliamps going through it. It is just a remote line.

And if you have a ON-OFF switch then you can make a normal and always off mode. If you have an ON-OFF-ON switch, then you can do an additional always on mode for when pumping gas or something.

Comment

where would i find a 3 way switch autozone didnt have any and since i am plugging in the 12v constant wire what kind of amperage will the switch have to be

Comment

Originally posted by bmw_car_pc View Post
                              where would i find a 3 way switch autozone didnt have any and since i am plugging in the 12v constant wire what kind of amperage will the switch have to be
                              Read my other post... If switching the main power line, not the trigger line, you will need a relay.

And radioshack sells switches. About all they are good for now adays.

Comment

Working...
                              X