splitting the power of an AMP to two speakers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• splitting the power of an AMP to two speakers

just a though, and i needa know what happens.

pretend i have a (mono) 1 channel amp that outputs 100w

if i connect two small subwoofers (or speakers for that matter) in parallel connected to that mono channel amp,

how would the power (or wattage) be divided?

would each woofer get 50w (hypothetical)

is this unsafe or any reason?

reason for asking:

i have a spare 2ch amp that supports 2x75w

i also have 4 bass shakers that are 50w each. i want to connect the bass shakers to that spare amp. each channel would support 2 shakers.

is it doable?

Well, in theory, each sub would TRY to get 100W if connected in parallel. Unfortunately, the amp cannot supply the 200W, and what happens then will depend on teh amp. Some will cut off, some will just get distorted, either way, it isn't preferred.

Each Sub has 4Ω impedance. Connecting them in series will result in an effective 2Ω impedance to the amp. Some amps are designed for this, some are not. You'll have to check the specs on the amp to see if it is designed to operate at 2Ω or not.

There are options though. You can, if you like, connect the speakers in series. this would result in 8Ω impedance to the amp, and would not overload it. Again, though, results will vary based on the amp.

Another option, since to mentioned using 4 speakers together, is a series parallel arrangement. Connecting two 2-speaker series strings together in parallel will result in a total impedance of 4Ω, which is exactly what the amp wants.
    Attached Files
    2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG
    Intel D945GCLF2 w/512MB RAM, CL Audigy w/KxProject, M2-ATX, Lilliput EBY701

Comment

What is the model numbers of the amp and speakers, so we can better assist you?
      2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG
      Intel D945GCLF2 w/512MB RAM, CL Audigy w/KxProject, M2-ATX, Lilliput EBY701

Comment

Working...
      X