How would I connect this USB Relay.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would I connect this USB Relay.

I bought a USB relay and I am trying to use it to activate power for 2 powered VGA splitters. How would I go about doing that?

Is it safe to run 12V on the relay side of the USB relay? If not, how should I do this?

Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

You should be alright using the relay to switch 12v on and off as long as it isn't high current. Such a waste using a whole attiny2313 for a single relay though
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Comment

Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
      You should be alright using the relay to switch 12v on and off as long as it isn't high current. Such a waste using a whole attiny2313 for a single relay though
      HEHE, I only needed a 1 relay to power just that one thing..... So you think 12V with about 800 ma is ok? Im just worried about the possibility it leaking 12V power through the relay and taking my hubs and or PC with it.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

It should work fine, relays are relatively safe, I use them to interface between microcontrollers and electronics.
        "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
        RevFE
        My Shop

Comment

Relays are mechanical, thats the point of them. You won't leak any power and destroy your PC. They isolate two separate circuits, so you'll be fine. 800mA is alright for most relays too, and 12v is certainly okay. It will be fine.
          2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
          Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
          Blog

Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
          The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

Comment

If you look at the ratings on the board for the relay, it says 125AC volts @ 15 amps or 250AC volts @ 10 amps. It will run a skillsaw if you want to!
            12VDC @ 850 milliamps will be fine.
            ...JJG

Comment

Originally posted by colin View Post
              Relays are mechanical, thats the point of them. You won't leak any power and destroy your PC. They isolate two separate circuits, so you'll be fine. 800mA is alright for most relays too, and 12v is certainly okay. It will be fine.
              What relay is it that I read that leaks.... could it be Solid State Relay? Im am going to go ahead and just suck it up and do it. I get so nervous when first connecting relays.

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
              If you look at the ratings on the board for the relay, it says 125AC volts @ 15 amps or 250AC volts @ 10 amps. It will run a skillsaw if you want to!
              12VDC @ 850 milliamps will be fine.
              ...JJG
              What I have decided to do is connect this relay to the cig lighter adapter that is 12V a 3amps. I was going to put the relay after the adapter, but that would mean more wires, so Im going to go ahead and put it before the adapter.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
              X