Sound deadening guide?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound deadening guide?

Does anyone know of a good sound deadening guide for a car? I know there are a lot of different brands and price ranges when it comes to the stuff. Also, wondering about placement, materials that shouldn't have deadening attached to them, etc.
    -Nick

http://www.b-quiet.com/ has a lot of stuff on it if I remember correctly.

I got the brown bread from them some time ago and it was awesome. I'm going to order some more for the new ride as well.

Comment

I can tell you anything you need to know.

And btw, never buy Dynamat.

Get Peal & Seal, much cheaper
      [H]4 Life
      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
      I'm a lesbian too.
      I am for hire!

Comment

You say don't buy dynamat? Is there a website that sells peal and seal?

Thanks
        Maroon Monte Carlo In process of Being Pimped Out.

Comment

read the reviews on brown bread... beat 'em all

Comment

Peal & Seal = home depot. Its actually designed for roofing, but from what ive seen, works decently and is dirt cheap. and I knew dynamat was way over priced. Ill check out the link. Also, seal and peal not withstanding, whats the cheapest place to get real sound deadening materials?
            -Nick

Comment

the link up top.

Comment

check this for a peal and seal look-alike

http://www.angelfire.com/sd/lownslownissan/

later,
                nathan

Comment

Yeah I've seen an install using Peel & Seal from Home Depot but I don't know how it compares with the other products, besides being really cheap.

I read somewhere that there is a place to get a product just like Dynamat for a lot cheaper. Supposedly Dynamat buys this product (if they run out of stock) and stamps their logo on it. Hmmm I can't fnd the link now though. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

This site may be of some interest too:
                  http://www.soundproofing.org/
                  No Carputer YET.
                  A car I'm designing...

Comment

I would stay away from peel and seal. Its not thick enough and i dont think its got the sound absorbing qualities you need.

For killing road noise use closed cell foam (carpet padding). It transfers noise into low-level heat. Use the foam in combination with some type of deading material. Ive heard good stuff about raammat. Search the elitecaraudio.com forum for "closed cell foam" "rammaat" and whatever else. Theres a lot of good info there. Search wangmat and you come up with a really funny thread about trying to name a cheap deadener from home depot.

mike
                    91 cadillac sedan deville, winXP, FV25 with Celeron 800, Redant 7" widescreen in dash, Opus DC-DC, Irman, Digital Cable remote(lots of buttons), 120 gig 7200rpm 8meg cache WD hard drive, VI power mobile HD rack, mediaengine

Comment

I've herad this stuff is basically the same as dynamat.

http://www.mcmaster.com/ search for 9709T19

birrman54

Comment

http://www.sounddeadeningmaterial.com

This place is suppose to have really effective stuff, and it's really really cheap.

Whoojong

Comment

According to the review made by a magazine (right side of page "Best there is"):
                          http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html

The Brown Bread seems to beat most of the competition (assuming this report was unbiased yadda yadda) points wise. In that same comparison test, they also list 'Autoleads Sound Deadener Material'. Is this the same as (www.sounddeadeningmaterial.com) posted above?

If you read the report, the guy recommends installing the cheapest one, SoundQuest DeadBeat - regardless of Brown Bread's score. Even then he would take the Accumat over Brown Bread (ranks 3rd I think).

Google turned up nothing on SoundQuest Deadbeat. And going by these prices, the Accumat is on the pricey side - http://www.rapidparts.com/Pages/vwc003u.html

So I think it's back to Brown Bread. The Sound Deadening Material linked above IS cheaper if you use the blue 'value' material. The 'Aluminum' (better quality) is more expensive tho. *shrug*
                          No Carputer YET.
                          A car I'm designing...

Comment

What I'm doing to my car is this.

It's an old car, I got it for free from a friend. It's my hobby now.

I stripped the inside. Sealed up all leaks around drain holes, etc.

Sprayed floorboard with a couple thick coats of truck bed liner material.

10mil plastic on entire floorboard(vapor barrier), attached with industrial strength spray adhesive.

Peal and seal on entire floor and inside of doors.

6lb 1/2 thick carpet padding on entire floor , and in doors.

Then the carpet.

Almost same thing done to headliner and other metal panels. (No plastic, thinner bedliner(****'s expensive)

The car is also about to be undercoated on the bottom side. (Rubberized)

Also, a good tightening of bolts and other loose things goes a long way.

Kevin
                            [H]4 Life
                            My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                            It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                            I'm a lesbian too.
                            I am for hire!

Comment

I am now at this stage of my system installation.

I didn't want to spend a ton of $$ on sound deadening,dampening, my car... however, I didn't want to completely neglect it either.

So far I have sprayed about 8 cans of "Marhyde" rubberized undercoating in the trunk and on the doors. ( I used this because it was cheap ... $3.00 a can and it pretty much consists of the same type of materials that are in the $15.00 can of dynamat spray). I also used 3 cans of Duraliner. The stuff that you spray in truck beds. The Duraliner is about $7.00 a can and it created a nice "shell" over the undercoating.

Tomorrow my B-Quiet Extreme should be here. I got 100 sq. ft of it off of e-bay for $100.00.
                              I'm splitting it with a friend, so 50 sq. ft= $50.00. This should be enough for the trunk and the doors.

Total price so far about 95 bux ..not too bad, I guess.

I'm going with this for now... I really just wanted to improve the sound environment of my sub and door speakers. Maybe later I'll do the floorboard and another layer of sound proofing material.

I'll post some pics later of the install and let you guys know if all of the $$, time, and effort was even worth it ...

Johnny
                              Komputer: PIII 866...60gb HD...384mg RAM...Geforce4 MX420 w/tvout...T.B. Santa Cruz soundcard .......
                              System: Xtant 3300c amp...a/d/s/ 310rs2 sub...a/d/s/ 235is components...

Install in progress ..... :)

Comment

Working...
                              X