Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatically bypassing 'Delete restoration data...'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Automatically bypassing 'Delete restoration data...'

    I've had a bad resume a couple of times on the carputer, and after restart, I get that stupid dialog, 'Delete restoration data or continue with resume'...
    Which isn't a real big deal, EXCEPT you need a ******* keyboard to acknowledge one of the options!!!
    Twice I had to run into the house, grab a USB keyboard, plug it in, and choose an option...

    Is there a way to have Windows automatically choose one or the other after a failed attempt?

  • #2
    It is likely that your hyberfil.sys (file that stores hybernation data) is screwed up. you cant just delete this file, disable hybernation, then your computer will delete this file. then reenable hybernation. this "should" fix your problem.

    Hybernation settings are located in the power options under the control pannel.

    Comment


    • #3
      Disabling hibernation defeats his purpose. This happens to me sometimes as well so I just keep a small usb keyboard in the car for this purpose.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dblack View Post
        It is likely that your hyberfil.sys (file that stores hybernation data) is screwed up. you cant just delete this file, disable hybernation, then your computer will delete this file. then reenable hybernation. this "should" fix your problem.

        Hybernation settings are located in the power options under the control pannel.
        Thanks, but ummm, did you read my question??
        lol
        When you get the prompt I mentioned, the PC holds for user input...there is no count-down or anything...It'll sit there forever, and when you power off and restart, you get the same prompt...
        The ONLY fix is using a keyboard to select the prompt...

        Unless someone knows another way?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by WuNgUn View Post
          Thanks, but ummm, did you read my question??
          lol
          When you get the prompt I mentioned, the PC holds for user input...there is no count-down or anything...It'll sit there forever, and when you power off and restart, you get the same prompt...
          The ONLY fix is using a keyboard to select the prompt...

          Unless someone knows another way?
          I never found a way around that either.

          In the end, I just purchased an RF remote and keep that plugged in for those occasions.
          Pico-ITX / XP Home with EWF-HORM / RR v12/02/2009 / Winamp v5.13 / RRMedia v1.2.2

          Comment


          • #6
            I have a BT keyboard, but that's no good in DOS
            Today, it wouldn't even recognize my USB keyboard up front on the hub! I had to mount it in the damn trunk directly to the board...
            Worked perfectly well before on the hub!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by WuNgUn View Post
              I have a BT keyboard, but that's no good in DOS
              Today, it wouldn't even recognize my USB keyboard up front on the hub! I had to mount it in the damn trunk directly to the board...
              Worked perfectly well before on the hub!
              Yeah, my RF remote takes up a slot directly on the board.

              Doesn't even work on a powered hub.
              Pico-ITX / XP Home with EWF-HORM / RR v12/02/2009 / Winamp v5.13 / RRMedia v1.2.2

              Comment


              • #8
                not an answer to your original question, but this RF usb wireless keyboard works for me connected to my 7 port non-powered hub whenever i get that annoying delete restoration data screen.
                2007 Mini Cooper eee PC worklog

                Comment


                • #9
                  ok, let me explain again, when your system boots up, it checks the hyberfil.sys file to determine if your computer was in hybernation or not, if this file is screwed up, your computer will see the screwed up hyberfil.sys file, then bring up the prompt. under normal circumstances, you cannot delete hyberfil.sys, because your computer will claim that it is in use. disabling hybernation causes your computer to delete this file. after the file is deleted, you can reenable hybernation, and hopefully, your problem will be gone.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I know the in's and out's of hibernation...again, this is not what I'm asking...
                    Thanks for explaining it to me twice though! lol

                    Both times this occured to me, it got to 100% of resuming, and hung...on the next reboot, I get the prompt. Regardless of whether it was damaged or not, it will still resume properly ONCE I tell it to try resuming...

                    BUT ALL I WANT TO BE ABLE TO DO IS REBOOT, AND RETRY THE HIBERNATION RESUME WITHOUT HAVING TO ANSWER A ******* PROMPT THAT REQUIRES A ******* KEYBOARD PLUGGED INTO THE ******* PC!!!!
                    If you can't tell me how this is possible, then lets just leave it at that, shall we?
                    Thank you...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Are you using the BT keyboard with the native dongle that was supplied by the manufacturer? In most cases, if the BT keyboard is matched with original dongle, then it should work even when windows is not loaded (it just appears as a standard USB keyboard to the system).

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by nobb View Post
                        Are you using the BT keyboard with the native dongle that was supplied by the manufacturer? In most cases, if the BT keyboard is matched with original dongle, then it should work even when windows is not loaded (it just appears as a standard USB keyboard to the system).
                        I'll try that (Logitech DiNovo Mini) next time (fingers crossed)...

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          I've got the Dinovo Mini as well and I can confirm that if you pair it up with the OEM Logitech dongle, then you will be able to use the keyboard even before windows loads just like you would a USB keyboard.

                          Although bypassing this issue is just a bandaid to the problem. I would look into why you are getting these bad resumes in the first place. The only time Ive ever had hibernation resume issues was when I had a hard drive go bad, or when the weather was too cold.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            I think the issue occurs when a USB device which was in the system when hibernating dissappears on the resume. So ask yourself "What is dissappearing?" Touch screen? HDD, memory stick? Never remove a USB device from a hibernated system. You probably aren't, but something is making this happen. Pehpas a device driver is not being recognised. Maybe you could try using DEVCON which you can download from Microsoft to clean out and reinstall all your USB devices.

                            Sapre a thought for us laptop users. If this happens, to me, I have to unbolt the rear seat and pull out the laptop becasue the message is on the laptop monitor not the external montor. Annoying.
                            RodW
                            2007 Toyota Hilux with a CarPC..

                            Worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ota-hilux.html
                            OziExplorer GPS Embedded in RR: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/sb-s...iexplorer.html

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X