Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new to this... what is a dc-dc ?? dont understand, it is an inverter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to this... what is a dc-dc ?? dont understand, it is an inverter?

what is dc-dc? 120v to 120v?? i don't understand?

DC-DC lets you run your computer STRAIGHT off the cars 12v (in the US at least) electrical system. 120v interter first converts the 12v DC to ~120 AC . The computer PSU takes the 120 AC and makes it DC that the computer uses

Comment

Inverter: Converts the 12VDC from your car's alternator/battery to standard 120VAC to run most appliances. Inverters are inefficient, noisy, large and can cause problems when used with certain PC power supplies.

DC-DC Converter: Converts the 12VDC from your car's alternator/battery directly to the voltages required by the computer (12V, 5V, -12V, -5V). DC-DC is efficient, simple and produces no noise. It is the preferred way to go, but is usually more expensive than the inverter unless you build the DC-DC unit yourself.

------------------
      Aaron Cake
      London, Ontario, Canada

Player: Cyrix 200, 32MB RAM, 10.2Gig Quantum HD, Onboard EtherNet/Sound/Video, Custom Lexan Case, Arise DC-DC, Win95 Kernal w/Custom Player
      Car: '86 Mazda RX-7 w/Basic Performance Upgrades
      Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
      Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
      "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

DC-DC just replaces your existing power supply in your computer. Therefore you would take out your current AC-DC power supply and put in the DC-DC power supply that you would buy/build.

Grand aMP3
        The Grand aMP3 Project
        Car: 96 Pontiac Grand Am
        Current Setup: AMD K62 300MHz, 64MB DIMM RAM, 20GB WD Hard Drive, Basic Video & Sound

Comment

Do you really have to put -12v on a AT mobo?
          If so, what is it for?

Comment

Originally posted by lagenz:
            Do you really have to put -12v on a AT mobo?
            If so, what is it for?
            If you want to do it right, then yes. Some video and sound cards require it, and it is required by all serial ports. You will also need -5V.

------------------
            Aaron Cake
            London, Ontario, Canada

Player: Cyrix 200, 32MB RAM, 10.2Gig Quantum HD, Onboard EtherNet/Sound/Video, Custom Lexan Case, Arise DC-DC, Win95 Kernal w/Custom Player
            Car: '86 Mazda RX-7 w/Basic Performance Upgrades
            Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
            Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
            "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Working...
            X