Reducing my boot time bit by bit.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing my boot time bit by bit.

I think I've done about every tweak on the internet for xp and I still have about a 35sec boot with hibernation. I have 600mhz 384ram. The thing I'm still ****ed of about is about 11 of those seconds are before the post even starts. It takes my computer 11 seconds to start the post. Then about a 5-10 second post and finally windows loads for the rest of the time. Is there any reason this happens? Is it a slow power supply? Or is this comepletely normal? And approx. how much more do you think I could reduce this too?

Thanks
    Maroon Monte Carlo In process of Being Pimped Out.

I got it down to about 30sec hibernation now. I used partition software to create a new partition. Should I move everything except windows over to the new partition? Will that mess anything up? Or should I just put my mp3s on the second partition? Im still trying to figure out if it is supposed to wait about 10 seconds before the post starts? Is there anything in the bios that will fix it?

Thanks

Comment

do you really need that much RAM??? if you're booting from hibernation, the more ram you have the longer it takes to boot. (has to write the info from HD to ram). ditching a stick of ram will probably help if thats what you're trying to do.

later,
      nathan

Comment

i'm using xp
        the same amount of ram,
        1.3 celeron
        40gig 7200, ata 100 drive

and I get 30 sec for a cold boot

about 25 from hibernation
        BossTone74

Comment

More Ram, slower post,
          don't know what the problem is with pre-post
          [H]4 Life
          My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
          It will be done sometime in the next generation.
          I'm a lesbian too.
          I am for hire!

Comment

Turn off memory checking in the BIOS?
            "Quitters never win, and winners never quit, but people who never win, and never quit are idiots."

Comment

Originally posted by masterful
              Turn off memory checking in the BIOS?

This is what i did, and I'm down to 25 sec. cold start

Comment

I"d have to say if you really wanna end this issue you need to use standby/suspend mode. I use that and it takes about 5 secs from pressing the button to playing music again. There's no reason not to as long as u have an ATX power supply and drive your car regularly.

Comment

Its an old dell dimension slot 1 board, right? as its of an oem nature, there really isnt that much that you can do in their bioses, other than turn off all the extended checks and turn it to quickpost.
                  -Nick

Comment

Flash IDE drive

Have you thought about installing a flash IDE drive and running the primary OS off it?
                    2001 740Il - Jet Black with MkIII and more...

Comment

Re: Flash IDE drive

Originally posted by w_hatfield
                      Have you thought about installing a flash IDE drive and running the primary OS off it?
                      Thats an idea, but his problem is that the machine takes 20 seconds to get beyond the post process, and then 10 seconds to boot, so i dont think making those 10 seconds any faster would help.
                      -Nick

Comment

Supermatty, do you know how much voltage it will draw when in str mode? Its the worst when you have a dead battery in your car and not at home. I'm considering doing this and then just hibernate at night. Its a modified atx board but I found an adapter that will make it work with regular atx power supplies. And is there a way to modify the opus so it just uses the startup controller and I could do the shutting down on my touchscreen?

Thanks

Comment

theres 2x5 idc header pin block that has a cable from the front of your case that contains the the pwr_on headers in it, which you could attach the opus to. Trace the wires back from the power button through the cable to the ide connector, and then just attach the opus there instead.
                          -Nick

Comment

Originally posted by themurph1018
                            Supermatty, do you know how much voltage it will draw when in str mode? Its the worst when you have a dead battery in your car and not at home. I'm considering doing this and then just hibernate at night. Its a modified atx board but I found an adapter that will make it work with regular atx power supplies. And is there a way to modify the opus so it just uses the startup controller and I could do the shutting down on my touchscreen?

Thanks
                            Themurph1018:

I'we measured my system in STR mode to a total of 0.09A ... the system can be in str mode for a couple of weeks before the battery maybe will die...

Richard
                            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

Really that is very interesting. So you mean it can go for a week without using the car? So if I use my car daily to and from work and school than it will keep it fully charged? Thats good to know. Also how much power do you think Ill draw when the systems on? Do you think the opus will give it enough power?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X