Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless USB hub

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wireless USB hub

    Has anyone experience from using a wireless USB hub such as this?

    http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWH104KIT/

    After trying everything I still have stability issues on USB, and I think it is due to groundcurrents and long cables.
    My car installation mp3car thread "showing off project"

  • #2
    WiFi Hubs works great... In principe you don't need a sender in the computer, if you already have a WiFi adapter connected to the computer. both use the 2.4Ghz range. But I have not found any "recievers only" USB hubs yet. Might have something to do with the Port IDing or something?

    The max range for USB 2.0 is 5m. However, if you cascade 5 powered hubs with 5m USB cables, this will allow you to connect a device 30m away. (In theory).

    Comment


    • #3
      Just ordered a http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWH204KIT/ on eBay. 118US inc p&p!
      Didn't know they were on 2,4GHz as everything seems to be thesedays.

      Thanks Crinos!
      My car installation mp3car thread "showing off project"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bes51659 View Post
        Just ordered a http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWH204KIT/ on eBay. 118US inc p&p!
        Didn't know they were on 2,4GHz as everything seems to be thesedays.

        Thanks Crinos!
        It depends, rememeber webcams and certain devices dont work. Where is your PC located? If there isnt a clear line of sight then it will greatly reduce the signal. Also the device may mess up your GPS and other wireless equipment.
        Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

        1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1X 7 inch motorized Screen
        1x Win 7 PC

        Comment


        • #5
          Aha, HiJack...

          Well, I will place the hub under the dash with TPMS, DVD, OBDII and USB connector for iPod, sticks etc.

          The PC itself is in the boot. Short distance but definitely not in clear view.

          For radio I also have BT-dongle, BT-keyboard and 3G modem. GPS antenna in sharkfin.

          I guess I will find out soon enough if it works or not...
          My car installation mp3car thread "showing off project"

          Comment


          • #6
            I can't see any reason why the Wireless USB hub should not work, since it has a fairly strong transmitting signal, but i did forget about that it could mess up other signals close by.

            (This is actually why HD-signals is now transmitting og the 5Ghz range).

            Since you have the GPS on the roof in the sharkfin, I would not think this actually could make any interfernace with the wifi usb signals.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bes51659 View Post
              Aha, HiJack...

              Well, I will place the hub under the dash with TPMS, DVD, OBDII and USB connector for iPod, sticks etc.

              The PC itself is in the boot. Short distance but definitely not in clear view.

              For radio I also have BT-dongle, BT-keyboard and 3G modem. GPS antenna in sharkfin.

              I guess I will find out soon enough if it works or not...
              The only way to tell is to try it..... Im curious to see if the DVD will suffer any issues since that will be sending alot of data, other then that sounds like a cool build with less wires. Wish I could have done that, I have enough wiring in my car to install PC in several cars, LMFAO.

              Originally posted by Crinos View Post
              I can't see any reason why the Wireless USB hub should not work, since it has a fairly strong transmitting signal, but i did forget about that it could mess up other signals close by.

              (This is actually why HD-signals is now transmitting og the 5Ghz range).

              Since you have the GPS on the roof in the sharkfin, I would not think this actually could make any interfernace with the wifi usb signals.
              My GPS is in the cabin, but why at the back hidden behind a panel. I had my Wi-Fi in the middle of the car and my GPS would not work. It left me stranded and I had a whole hour of being someplace I didnt know to figure out it was the Wi-Fi. As soon as I unplugged it, boooom, I had GPS lock and it showed my true location. So what I did is got a USB extension cable and ran the dongle to the front driver side. The GPS is on the rear passenger side. This seems to have helped perfectly.
              Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

              1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1X 7 inch motorized Screen
              1x Win 7 PC

              Comment

              Working...
              X