Viability of a HD in a car?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viability of a HD in a car?

I was going to use a HP Thin Client for the car because it had no moving parts. BUT the software I want to run needs a full XP and wont run on XPe and the software is 500 mbytes so I am thinking of putting in a 10 gb HD (IBM Telestar) from a laptop.

Will I run into any problems with vibration and other movement that a car experiences? I think the Telestar drive said on the label it could take 10 Gs and while my wife might argue it, I dont think my car ever experiences that much.

Any opinions??
    Jim Isbell
    Installed HP T5700 running full XP on a 10 gb HD, Street Atlas 2005, LT-20 GPS, OBD-Diag, rear view camera, FM transmitter.

Originally posted by jimisbell View Post
    I was going to use a HP Thin Client for the car because it had no moving parts. BUT the software I want to run needs a full XP and wont run on XPe and the software is 500 mbytes so I am thinking of putting in a 10 gb HD (IBM Telestar) from a laptop.

Will I run into any problems with vibration and other movement that a car experiences? I think the Telestar drive said on the label it could take 10 Gs and while my wife might argue it, I dont think my car ever experiences that much.

Any opinions??
    Well in addition to the 80G drive in my setup, I also have a Terabyte Drive (Maxtor One Touch external) in my armrest for the last 8000 miles without a single glitch. There are drives specifically designed for high G environments like the one I just got from MP3Car, but I ran my previous drive over 4 years(avg 6 hrs/day) before retiring it. So I'd conclude most laptop drives can handle it.
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Thanks. Its not a big deal I guess since I dug the drive out of my junk box, so no real expense.
      Jim Isbell
      Installed HP T5700 running full XP on a 10 gb HD, Street Atlas 2005, LT-20 GPS, OBD-Diag, rear view camera, FM transmitter.

Comment

Working...
      X