Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Know of a way to mute a car deck with 3.5mm output and no mute out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Know of a way to mute a car deck with 3.5mm output and no mute out?

have been searching for a car stereo that will always pass-through aux or bluetooth so that I can listen to a source (CD, Radio, MP3..whatever) and still have GPS directions heard over speakers.

Since I can't find a deck that will do this and I can't find a way to hack it with my current skillset, I'm investigating splitting the input on my amp so that there are two lines in, one for the GPS and one for the deck. Now I just need a way to mute the deck when the GPS wants to output sound. Any ideas how I can do that? Modules, Auto sence input adapters, sensors, switches, relays? My GPS does not have a mute out line, just a 3.5mm line out.

I'm also considering keeping the preamp output low and GPS volume full so that the GPS is always louder than the deck. But I can just forcee bing blown out of the car by the directions if I'm listening loudly.

Is this a portable GPS or a carpc? Does it have a line out? It's possible to do.
    ][ Still Building ][
    <>Intel 945GCLF
    <>160 gb WD sata 2.5"
    <>1 gb 667
    <>M2-ATX 160W
    <>ATI Radeon 7000
    <>Antec Mult-Station Premier Deluxe IR receiver and remote
    <>Windows XP Pro, and CF as front end
    <>7" LCD Myron Davis

Comment

Yes it has a 3.5mm line out.

Comment

How about a very low power relay that triggers when the voice comes across the GPS, opening the line inputs on the music side?
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

You can use a speaker switcher like this http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/?ProductId=271. Keep in mind this particular piece only allows 2 speakers. It would go in between your deck and car speakers. You would have to mod the 3.5 but nothing to difficult.
          ][ Still Building ][
          <>Intel 945GCLF
          <>160 gb WD sata 2.5"
          <>1 gb 667
          <>M2-ATX 160W
          <>ATI Radeon 7000
          <>Antec Mult-Station Premier Deluxe IR receiver and remote
          <>Windows XP Pro, and CF as front end
          <>7" LCD Myron Davis

Comment

Very promising options. Do you have an example of a low voltage relay?

Any other ideas?

Loving the speaker switcher. I'll need two and try them on the preamp side rather than speaker side. I'm going to check for voltage or ground when playing sound on the line out tomorrow.

Comment

Hey, did you ever get this finished?

Comment

Working...
              X